“Good experience, but not great”

Rio Chama Steakhouse
Ranked #84 of 574 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We have eaten in the bar several times. The experience is good but not grand. I don't suppose I expect it to be...but to be sure, it isn't. However, you can get good drinks, nachos and other appetizers, burgers, and salads in an upscale bar setting--which can't be all bad--and watch one of their many TVs dialed to whatever important is happening in the sports world. I would certainly go back--usually on an arrival evening when I want something to eat but am not prepared to go through the fancy restaurant scene.

There are newer reviews for Rio Chama Steakhouse

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We live in Santa Fe, but had never been before. I had Alaskan salmon and it was fantastic! We will make this a regular!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We often have an assortment of appetizers for dinner instead of an entree, and this evening was no exception.

Three appetizers were ordered, and only the fondue was a disappointment - what was advertised as a four-cheese fondue was primarily Velveeta-based, with perhaps a sprinkling of other cheeses to complete the other three. It reminded me more of the canned cheese for cheap nachos. When we talked to our server about it, he merely replied that it was one of their best sellers, and that people rave about it all the time. Never did he admit that Velveeta was the primary ingredient. Anyone who has ever tasted Velveeta will recognize it instantly.

However, the service was good, the drinks excellent, and the ambiance acceptable. All in all, not an awful experience, but not an excellent one either, especially considering the price.

7  Thank FoodieCdA
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We went to Rio Chama for a birthday dinner and were very pleased with our experience. The food was great, the drinks were very good and the service was excellent as well. The prices were similar to what one would expect at most upper end steakhouses. I was impressed that they comp'ed my dessert in honor of my birthday. About the only downer was that the tables (with a rustic wood surface) had an unpleasantly sticky feel due (they told us) to the spray cleaning solution they used. In my opinion, they would be well served to invest in fine white cloth tablecloths: it would solve the stickiness issue and give the restaurant a more "high end steakhouse" appearance. I had a NY Strip steak and my wife had the smaller cut of Prime Rib. Both were excellent and I thought that the smaller portion of Prime Rib was especially generous. We will definitely return to the Rio Chama Steakhouse.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife and I are Santa Fe locals and have spent many an hour and eaten many a meal at Rio Chama and have always had a wonderful, satisfying experience. But what happened last night needs to be spoken of in hope that this fine restaurant will learn something from this and possibly never have it happen again. We did not have a reservation when we arrived, but it was before 6pm and the place was not crowded in the least. We were seated. In a restaurant of this caliber, we would expect that water would arrive within a few minutes, and that at least a server would make his presence known. A waiter who was not ours came by, gave us a puzzled look, and asked if our waiter had been by. We said that no one had, and he said that he would get our waiter over to us. Again, the place was not crowded in the least. We did notice that a couple was seated in another part of the restaurant and that within a minute their server was at their table introducing himself. I have never had anything but that kind of service from this restaurant in the past. After 10-15 minutes of being invisible to our server (we were quite visible and not tucked away somewhere), we got up and left. We encountered our hostess on the way out, and explained why we were leaving. All she could muster in response was..."Did I seat you?" Unbelievable. We definitely were not meant to have dinner there that night, as waiting that long starts dinner off on the wrong note, and we were not willing to wait longer for what may have been a lot of apologies, but a sour note anyway. Perhaps if someone had come running, and then the manager had comped the dinner, we would have felt good in the end. But we were present to having been ignored, and, with so many other restaurants in Santa Fe worthy of our presence, we set off for a satisfying dining experience. We understand that this kind of thing can happen at any restaurant, and, knowing how good the food is, we will be back. But it will take a far longer time to return than we would have had we been treated respectfully last night. Too bad.

14  Thank spchiro