“Located in The El Dorado Hotel”

The Old House Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 583 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Sandoval St.
Description: When you dine at the Old House, the Santa Fe Plaza restaurant that Zagat honored as New Mexico's best, you know it's going to be a special experience. Featuring dry-aged rib eye steaks, enjoy contemporary global cuisine featuring the freshest seasonal and regional ingredients from nearby artisan farms.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Everything we ordered was delightful and the waiter was attentive. My husband ate the dry aged ribeye and I had the crab cakes which were good, but not excellent. The wine was very good that the waiter help us choose

1  Thank gbwcs

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Our group of five decided to try the Old House on a whim while visiting/working outside Santa Fe. Overall the meal, appetizer to dessert, was outstanding, but you must approach it like a marathon. Dining here is peppered with long pauses between events. It's much more like a European experience: slow & deliberate.

Part of our group started with the market salad. The variety of ripe tomatoes on the plate combined with the green chile goat cheese (the perfect amount of flavor and heat from the chile) on arugula (I think that's what I remember) was a great start. Between all of us, we had the aged ribeye, filet mignon & salmon. My filet mignon was perfectly prepared & melted in my mouth. I did taste the ribeye &, in my opinion, it was okay but not comparable to the filet; the folks that ordered it, though, were pleased. The salmon guy thought his was fabulous, too.

Every one of us splurged on dessert: they did not disappoint. I had the creme brûlée & felt it was the perfect finish to a fabulous meal; even ordered coffee with it despite the lateness. Gotta say the coffee was strong & excellent; I'm not a fan of the colored water you typically find in most restaurants.

The atmosphere is intimate, due to lighting; and while the tables are fairly close together, there's plenty of room to enter and exit.

The service was excellent: everyone we dealt with was friendly and polite. What I appreciated most, though, was each server moved around the table to each of us to both serve & remove dishes. Yes, this should happen in nicer establishments, too often it doesn't; here it was conscientiously attended to and added to the overall experience.

The Old House is well worth tracking down when you are in Santa Fe.

2  Thank Virtualgardner
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I don't know how you can make coffee so bad. It was absolutely undrinkable. After eating my oatmeal I went looking for the nearest coffee shop to start my day.

3  Thank lb5775
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Had 3 meals at this restaurant and there wasn't anything that we ate the wasn't full of flavor and expertly prepared. Best Tortilla soup I ever had. Friendly staff, beautiful interior,excellent service.

2  Thank KathyS181
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The food in this restaurant is outstanding with many choices, both in steaks and seafood. The crab cakes are great with lots of crab meat and little bread. The steaks and seafood are well prepared and they offer a great winelist. We liked it so much, we dined there twice during our stay.

1  Thank DonRobertoSanJuan