“Bravo”

Maria's New Mexican Kitchen
Ranked #87 of 590 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Maria's is the very best place to chow down in Santa Fe. A local favorite, the portions are generous the help is courteous. It is very busy at lunch time, but there is plenty of parking and table space. If you like Mexican food, don't miss a stop at Maria's. Their enchiladas are to die for, and their sopapillas with honey are a treat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We ate here on a weekday at 6:30pm and it was very busy. Maria's was suggested by the gentleman working at the visitation center. I agree with another Tripadvisor reviewer that we also had an abrasive wait-person experience. When I explained that I could not eat green peppers, so please do not use them in my fajita Erica rolled her eyes in annoyance. Less then 5 minutes after finishing our meal we were promptly ushered to pay our bill and were told that we would need to vacate our table in 10 minutes for a reservation. Totally uncalled for. She also brought us the wrong check the first time and when I asked what this mysterious charge at the bottom of the bill was she replied that it was the tax, however when I asked what the tax percentage was, as it did not mention this on the check she huffed that she didn't know. Food was yummy I enjoyed my meal, but it was heavy and greasy. I also agree that for the caliber of food it was over-priced and they charge you extra for everything, even a tortilla. There was enough left-overs for the next days lunch. It was good enough for a one time visit, and will not return.

1  Thank ahfooey
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you want the best Margarita in town Maria's has it. If you're driving, don't have two as they are potent. There are several sections to sit in and the old small bar is the most popular. You have the best change of sitting in the bar if you go for lunch and they do have lunch specials. We have sat in all four sections and the only one we don't care for is the large dining area facing the street. You should make reservations for a group if you go on the weekend. If you live in Santa Fe, it's a great place to take visitors. The menu is limited and pricey, but the atmosphere and great service makes up for it.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Ate here last year and had to take my hubby this year. We had a late lunch and no waiting! usually there is a long wait at night, but they do that reservations. Service was ok, the waitress had 3 other large tables so she was busy, but the food was great. I am a wimp for hot food so i had the tacos, one soft, one hard shell. Great, meat was moist, side of beans and rice. Honestly can't remember what my hubby ordered, one was vegetarian, one meat, he had Christmas (one red, one green salsa) and enjoyed both sauces. He thought they were both fairly hot. We ended the meal with sopapilla and honey!! Enjoyed food and atmosphere.
huge selection of margaritas and big menu

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've been going to Maria's for over twenty years, enjoying the New Mexican food, large menu selection, and the original margaritas, along with watching the lady make fresh tortillas. My favorite room is the old one with wide floorboards where customers can watch her in a glassed-in corner. I really like the fajitas and usually order them. This visit, however, we had a waiter who was rather patronizing and too quick to pass by. Instead,the assistant helped us with refills, tortillas, etc.Other than that, we found the food to be as consistent as in past visits and the house margarita as potent as ever.