“A really neat find!”

Harrell House of Natural Oddities
Ranked #39 of 273 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: We are located INSIDE the mall at DeVargas Center! The mall entrance closest to our store is around the corner from Hastings, Panda Express and Great Clips and across the hall from Ross. The Museum features Oliver Greer's Crawlywood Collection, a staggering assortment of 2,400 mounted insects, arachnids and other bugs from all over the world. You will also see the Harrell Houses' own collection of LIVE invertebrates including more than 100 of live tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes and other amazing creepy-crawlies! Museum and store are Inside the Mall. No admission required to visit store, the Harrell House Science Shop offers a wide range of educational toys, dinosaur models, fossils, mounted insects, original art, jewelry, souvenirs and more!Museum Admission is $6 for adults, $4 for Children 12 and under. Military and Senior discounted rate $5.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am a volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters here in Santa Fe and recently took my 11-year-old Little Brother here recently. I think I enjoyed the experience as much as my Little Brother did! The gentleman we spoke to was incredibly knowledgeable and I was amazed at the size of the collection! I would recommend this for people with kids or just nerdy adults!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to the museum on a trip to Santa Fe with our 7 year-old boy. I think the adults got at least as much, if not more, than the boy! The two men who own and run the museum are very, very knowledgeable about everything concerning bugs. One is a past president of the Tarantula Association. He knows everything about live bugs. The other is a world-class collector and mounter of dead specimens. They have both live and dead bugs. The real draw though is the enthusiasm of the owners. They love what they do and it really shows. We had a long tour. They explained everything and answered every question we through at them..

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I could not believe the collection. There were thousands of specimen, living and dead. The owners were there and talked us through each room, answered a thousand questions and really made the experience personal and so much fun. The two owners were very friendly and passionate about the collections and really knowledgeable about anything and everything related to what they had in the museum. Being in a mall and not really being interested in insects before this I was not expecting much but it was an amazing experience, I had a blast! I would highly recommend this to anyone in Santa Fe. It was only $5 when I went and it was more than worth it. They are expanding the collection on display and I will be back in a couple of months. Thanks Ollie!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I visited here having seen the other reviews on Trip Advisor. The bug museum is small but really interesting with live exhibits and many mounted specimens. The curator was exceptionally knowledgable and enthusiastic about all things Bug! He really made the visit worthwhile, eagerly sharing his knowledge with us. For a $10 entrance fee, you can't go wrong with this place. My wife and I loved it and I'm sure kids would find it fascinating too.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I met up with a dear friend on a trip to Santa Fe, NM. I knew he had been doing awesome things with his "bug" collection but when I saw it on display at The Harrell House I was pretty much blown away. Not just bugs on display, some for sale along with educational toys and unique art and artifacts. A nice change from the norm. Something very different in the City Different! Well worth a few bucks admission.