“An incredible experience!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Bert's La Taqueria
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Historic District
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This restaurant is now called Epazote. By any name, the "new World" offerings crafted by Chef Fernando Olea are nothing short of incredible. Moles were astoundingly good! Huitlacoche was prepared magnificently. Halibut in a red mole sauce was great! The desert that I would describe as an avocado sorbet, was sublime. I understand Chef Olea recently was asked to cook for ex-Mexican President Vincente Fox while he was in New Mexico. I understand a website is under development. While there are a number of great places to dine in Santa Fe, this spot, located in, I believe, an old convent, is at the top of our list!

3  Thank pas-cas
There are newer reviews for Bert's La Taqueria

Reviewed September 26, 2009

Friends recommended Bert's Taqueria, and I thought - "oh no - not another taco and enchilada with rice and refried beans." Fortunately, although the lunch menu of such offerings is delicious and cheap, the dinner at the newly-Christened Epazote is something else altogether. The chef-owner, Fernando, explained that Mexican cuisine can be thought of as one of the first true fusions - of Indian, Spanish, and French, given it's history. Moreover, as I knew from visiting Mexico, there are a variety of regional cuisines - each with its own specialties and distinctive flavors. Tex-Mex, which many think of as "Mexican" food, is one type but there are many others (e.g. from Oaxaca, to the Yucatan), just as in the US we have regional foods, such as Southern cooking, Southwestern flavors, and so on. We had the chef's specials - from the appetizer, to two different moles - one Poblano and one rosa - served with duck and halibut, respectively, to dessert. They were extraordinary. I've never had moles that were so subtle and delicious. I rarely have dessert - but I would not have missed the surprising and delicious Mongolian mousse for anything. It is small but powerful - hitting every part of your palate perfectly. Do not miss this dining experience - or meeting Nando and having him explain Mexican cuisine to you.

3  Thank mch64
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Yes, to the corn fungus appetizer. That was just the introduction to a fabulous meal. after the mole tasting - brown or pink - i chose the pink to go with shrimp. it was divine. My friend had the tacos - all her choices were tasty in and of themselves but the red and green chili sauces made them special. Dessert was a Mongolian-Mexican fusion resulting in a very smooth and subtly flavored avocado ginger mousse with pine nuts and beets. The wine margaritas were the perfect accompaniment. The ambience is great and the service helpful.

3  Thank tywo
Reviewed March 18, 2009

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Fe. The cuisine is always excellent and many of the specials I have tried show the mark of true creativity with culinary dignity.

Don't miss the corn fungus apatizer (I forget the name on the menu).... truly memorable!

1  Thank ebelle99
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Atmosphere: The first time we tried to go there for dinner, they were closed. The second time, they were open. The owner explained that his wife didn't feel like opening the restaurant, which is why we were out of luck the first time. Very cozy atmosphere, although their heaters weren't working and we had to move 3 times before they started a fire for us. One gentleman at a nearby table walked out because he never got served.

Food: Fantastic, delicious, and absolutely new New Mexican. The corn fungus was great, and my lamb heart was cooked and seasoned very well, if a bit salty.

Overall Recommendation: Don't go here during the off-tourist season if you're not prepared for dinner to take 3 hours. If you have the time, however, you will be rewarded with very friendly servers, the owner will mostly come out and shake your hand and talk to you for a bit, and you'll taste some fantastic food. If you come during the tourist season, everything should be flawless.