“Lost its lustre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristra - CLOSED

Ristra
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Historic District
Cross street: Guadalupe/St. Francis
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Lost its lustre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We returned to Ristra after we had a stunning dinner last year. I was disappointed to see that the menu was the same but the food wasn't as flavorful. The restaurant was almost empty on a Saturday night, which was sad to see. The scallops appetizer was divine, but when we asked to have an entree portion of scallops, they merely brought out the appetizer as an entree rather than an entree-sized portion. Our server was nice but didn't seem knowledgeable.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Katie G

Denver, Colorado
“Still Delivering Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I first visited Ristra in the early 2000s and really thought it was top notch. We've had dinner there at least ten times and have never been disappointed. On a recent trip to Santa Fe we dined again...and contrary to the reviews by susan s and miner 53...the food was still delicious. We began with a Poblano Relleno, which was stuffed w wild rice and piquillo peppers atop spaghetti squash. My wife followed with the Spiced Duck Breast and I had the Pork Rack. Her's came medium rare as ordered, mine came medium as ordered. Richard, our server, couldn't have been more attentive. A Santa Fe native, he both gave us great service and also shared insights about town and the region. If anything, we were shocked at how empty it was on a Friday night at 7PM. If we had to guess why, it might be associated with the loss of owner, Eric LaMalle, who died in April 2013. Still, the atmosphere is pleasant, especially on a summer evening sitting outside. In previous trips my wife has enjoyed the mussels, which have a little kick thanks to the chipotle infused broth...and they've always arrived at the table piping hot. There used to be a beet salad that was divine, but perhaps the gazpacho would be a nice trade. The tuna tartare is another tasty appetizer. You ought to give Ristra a go.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank longdrive2
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Stop by for at least a drink with new bartender, Chris. He rocks. I don't get the bad reviews. This is a very nice restaurant with good food and a professional staff.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank QuakerBoy
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Needs a major facelift with their food!! Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Ristra used to be a good restaurant in Santa Fe, but no more. It's gone downhill.. and I won't be going back, ever again. The menu is tired, it looks shabby in the house part of the restaurant, service is sub par, and the food is not good. I had the mussels and they arrived cold. I couldn't get the attention of my server, who just ignored me. So, I had to eat cold mussels which I shouldn't have. Then their was a power surge, and I kept waiting and waiting, and I had an appointment. I finally had to go to the bar to try to pay my bill, their attitude was that I should keep waiting while their machines got to work. I couldn't. I had waited 1/2 hour. NEVER AGAIN! What used to be a good restaurant in no more. My boyfriend and i ate there in March, we were practically the only one's in the restaurant and the food was marginal.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank susan s
Scottsdake, AZ
“Overrated restaurant not up to fine dining”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

First impressions were really disappointing as hostess led us through a couple of rooms and asked several times which table we wanted for our party of 4. Finally, found a round table set very near 3 other tables right in aa busy passage way to other rooms. Appetizers were good but not specially interesting. Spicy Calamari with spicy lime dip was best dish of the evening. However, the so-called Crispy Salmon was soggy, not a crispyness in sight....and was raw in the middle...inedible. Then, there was the service that needs much more training to remember who ordered what dish, and learn not to clear some guests dishes until all are finished eating. Access to the restaurant is dangerous with uneven bricks, roots and plants as obstacles.

• Visited April 2014