“Good food”
Review of Osteria d'Assisi

Osteria d'Assisi
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria d'Assisi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 587 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Osteria d'Assisi was opened in 1995, in a renovated home in the historic downtown district of Santa Fe. The restaurant is named after the city of Santa Fe's patron saint, Saint Francis, who was born in the town of Assisi in Italy. Osteria d'Assisi features regional Italian cuisine, utilizing the time honored Mediterranean approach to preparing food with olive oil and fresh ingredients. Our menu includes fresh seafood, locally grazed beef, veal and lamb, house made pasta, fresh bread baked daily, gourmet pizza and creative desserts.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

First time here et thought food was wonderful.....was packed. We sat inside as was windy night but either outside or inside is good. Spouse et I had different entrees et both were excellent. Seemed to be many locals eating here. Enjoyed the Italian food as a change from our southwestern choices during our visit. Would recommend.

5  Thank capieillinifans

Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's not always easy to find great food in a tourist area, but we lucked into Osteria d'Assisi for lunch and found it very reasonably priced ($10-15 range) to boot. My husband decided to go the safe route and ordered the Panino Tacchino Fontina (turkey baguette sandwich) which was tasty, but I wanted to be adventurous and try an Italian dish. After reading the many appetizing choices from which to pick, I decided on the Torta Milanese, and I was glad I did. It was delicious! It was a vegetarian casserole with "roasted" zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and butternut squash, cheeses, tomato and basil pesto sauce. After tasting it, my husband envied my choice, and I lovingly allowed him to eat half, trading him for half of his remaining sandwich. In researching the restaurant's website afterwards, I discovered that both of Osteria's chefs have authentic Italian cooking backgrounds which translated into my delicious dish. We ate at about 2 pm midweek, and it was not busy at the time. We opted to eat inside, as our August day was starting to heat up, but there were a number of people eating in the umbrella-covered outdoor seating area along the side of the building. We ate at 3 other restaurants while on our visit to Santa Fe. Without question, I had the tastiest meal at Osteria's.

6  Thank goodlifer11
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ordered take out from this restaurant while in Santa Fe (and the entire order was in the bag when we got to the house). The pizza was excellent, lasagna was super tasty (the pasta had to be homemade) and the salad was very fresh. The service was great. If you're looking for great, authentic Italian food this is the place to go. Will go back next time we are in Santa Fe!

9  Thank SlipperGirl13
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We began our first meal at the Osteria with perfect salads. My husband had his favorite, a Caesar. This one featured very fresh romaine and a light, well seasoned dressing. I enjoyed a beet and watermelon salad complemented with fresh greens and almonds. The salads were so large we thought we might not be able to finish the mushroom pizza we ordered. But it was so delicious we finished it in no time. The wine by the glass offerings were numerous and excellent.

At first we were disappointed that we couldn't be seated outside even though we had made a reservation. However the pleasant staff and excellent food soon won us over.

9  Thank rcfet
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We visited this restaurant shortly after it opened 15 years ago and then again on a repeat visit 12 years ago. We were favorably impressed. We travel to Italy frequently and enjoy the Italian approach to eating more than the Italian-American style so much more common here in the US. So we are usually pleased when we discover a restaurant with a more continental Italian style of cooking. The owners and chefs at this restaurant clearly have some recent and authentic Italian roots. Unfortunately our most recent experience was very disappointing. In the intervening decade Osteria D'Assisi has clearly changed it's approach to a more Americanized meal (for example adding pizza to the menu). The pasta (house made) that had been delicate and delicious was leaden and the sauces were uninspired. It's become more of a restaurant for families (not a bad thing, but the Italian-American chains already do that reasonably well). It's no longer providing sophisticated continental Italian style fine dinning. So while not bad, it's nothing special, just average, and expensive for average.

2  Thank Ancheviaggio