“I put it in my mouth and all I got was congested arteries, that's not fun”

IL Vicino Wood Oven Pizza
Ranked #71 of 576 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I love trendy wood burned artisan style pizza places. Who on earth doesn't? I mean, your not cool unless you do! Anyway, we took our daughter here for her birthday because she too, surprisingly, likes pizza.... and has an image to consider.

We lose! Though it is clear that the locals disagree (the place was totally slammed and people seemed to love it) we think that this place is just blah. Not good, not bad, and oddly not really mediocre either. I'd say the problem is that the food just didn't really taste like anything at all. I think I basically just got fatter from this experience and that is it.

You'd think with ingredients like parmesan, basil, garlic, etc that you'd get some pop in your mouth, but no. That's not what we got. Just greasy fingers. Yet at the same time it wasn't gross either, it was entirely edible in fact. Like a fattening rice cake or high calorie packaging material (you know what I mean). Just, you know, blah. The pizza also did what artisan wood burned pizza is not supposed to do. It sagged all over the place.

My guess is that this place is basically just capitalizing on a fad called pizza, which like the internet will one day wane. Since everyone thinks anything covered in cheese is good, it will probably still rake it in for the meantime. But there are far better things covered in cheese in Santa Fe. I recommend Uppercrust pizza. Stupid, pretentious name. Pretty darn good pizza.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stopped at Il Vicino based on our favorite one (Albuquerque). The food is very good, but the staff is very sub-proficient in English, the restrooms look as if they had not been cleaned since Richardson was Gov. Lastly, the cashier shorted our change by $2...go tipsy, may seem better.

4  Thank Nemoandchina
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Great place for good pizza on recent trip when we got tired of the southwestern stuff

4  Thank Djs45
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Pizza menu has tons of interesting options and you can also be creative and build your own.
Food is good, service is a little sparse, but it is more of a pizza place type restaurant where you order at the counter anyway, so no big dea.
I would go again!

5  Thank TravelTalk2
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I arrived in Santa Fe in the late afternoon after two flights from DC and was getting hungry. I have learned over time that Yelp.com is the best source for locating good food in the area, and in a quick search for highly rated and inexpensive restaurants within the Governor's Palace area of Santa Fe, I went with Il Vicino. As advertised, it has great wood fired gourmet pizzas (hard to choose from). You order and pay on your way in, and then choose you a table inside or in their nice outdoor courtyard. The service was great, as was the food. Highly recommended!

6  Thank Andrew W