“Excellent coffee, excellent atmosphere”

Iconik Coffee Roasters and Cafe
Ranked #15 of 28 Coffee & Tea in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Premium Direct Trade Coffee, lightly roasted, brewed to perfection by a highly trained and friendly staff. Top notch Direct Trade teas. House-Made Baked Items, Light Breakfast and Lunch, all items sourced locally. Gluten Free Available. Our coffee is an extension of our love. Our love for you, the coffee, and the hands that produced and plucked each ripened cherry. Spread the love.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent coffee, excellent atmosphere”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Found this place on a day trip to Santa Fe from Albuquerque the other weekend. Up until then I'd been having trouble finding good to great coffee locally. I've had their pour-over options as well as espresso drinks, hot and iced. All have been delicious. I used to live near Mad Cap in Grand Rapids and got spoiled on great coffee. Finding replacements has been hard, but this place comes close. It is a little out-of-the-way and not near the more touristy parts of town (a good thing, in my opinion), but definitely worth the trip. The atmosphere is pretty laid-back and comfortable, there is a patio with wild flowers and tables and lounge chairs. There is definitely an element of the laptop crowd here, but you can still have your drink to stay and not feel like you're in a library. Definitely stop by.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Unpossible
Toddzy, Owner at Iconik Coffee Roasters and Cafe, responded to this review, October 27, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Tepid Coffee with Pretentious Service”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Maybe it was a bad day, but my service was horribly snooty and pretentious, unapologetic for the long wait (which actually didn't bother me, it was the attitude that was so off-putting.)
Was looking forward to tying their highly touted coffee and was sadly disappointed.
I was served a "pour over" that maybe had been "poured over" several minutes earlier, as it was nowhere near hot, maybe room temperature at best.
Way too much money for a cold cup of coffee that tasted like watered down dirt.
I'll not be going back. Don't waste your time.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank filmartphoto
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry things weren’t to your liking. We do intentionally serve our pour-overs at a cooler temperature. The water coming from our water tower is set for 185 degrees; we know this is a cooler temperature than most places. We do this because it is optimum the brewing temp for the altitude in Santa Fe. Also it does take about 3 minutes for the water to drip though the poor-over filter thus cooling the drink further. Dark Roasted, and very hot coffee isn’t something we offer. Our baristas are trained according to the SCAA barista and brewing competition standards, but this does not mean our style of coffee is something you might like.

As for our pricing, we source our coffees though the Direct Trade model. This is that we do not pay the lower commodity price to the farmers, because the price often given isn’t enough for them to make a living wage thus perpetuating poverty. We instead purchase top quality, organic beans from farmers we know personally, and pay them a higher wage, enough to support their families and invest into their communities. We also feel that Americans can afford to pay a little extra to these farmers as oppose to seeing them exploited by corporate interests. This is reflecting in our pricing with is on average about .75 higher then the national average price of coffee.

Again, sorry for your experience, if you choose to return, we will gladly make you a better cup of coffee free of charge. Thanks again for your feedback, we do appreciate it.
Vancouver, Canada
“The spot to go to for a cup of coffee, a pot of tea, and a place to relax”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I'm a local and have been coming to Iconik Coffee for a little over a year now every time I do a coffee/tea run. It is probably the best coffee house in Santa Fe, and I've gone to many of them. Don't be put off by the eclectic art or the "hipster" feel. It's a nice place to stay, have a cup of coffee (or a pot of tea), and hang out with friends, family, or to get some work done. I've never felt out of place here, and ambiance is always pretty good. When it gets busy, it can get loud inside. If it's a nice day, I suggest the patio. However, most of the time I come here the noise is very tolerable and can hold a discussion without a problem.

The coffee is the way it should be, flavorful and complex. I've enjoyed the lattes I've had here, besides the different coffees. The direct-trade teas are also very good. My favorite is the jasmine pearls, and for a warm day the jasmine green iced tea. When it comes to baked good, I'm partial to the peanut butter nutella cookie or the scones that are made daily. I haven't met a scone I didn't like here, and as a hint get them warmed.

I've come here for lunch on some occasions and always get the egg, bacon, and cheese bagel sandwich. The bagel is a house made Montreal style bagel, which is just divine. I've never had to wait terribly long for any dishes I've ordered.

The service is always good, and the owners are incredibly nice. The baristas are friendly, and know what they are doing. Sometimes things can get a bit hectic when busy, but the quality of the food or drinks do not suffer. This isn't a place for a fine dining experience, but if you want a great cup of coffee (or pot of tea), a good pastry, and a place to hang out with friends this is the place to go to.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Local_Liz124
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“O.K. — A Bit Too Hipster for Normal Types”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

A little too cool for the room, with overly hipstered baristas taking themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. But the decor is exceptional, there is often live music, and the coffee is very good. The food is decent but is very, very, (did I say very?) slow in coming. They seem to pride themselves on this, which is a misguided business plan that could only please a fellow hipster who's just not very hungry. A bagel/egg sandwich just can't take 20-30 minutes. Come on.

Come here if you have time to sit and linger, people watch, listen to some local musicians and wait for your food. The coffee is a bit faster on on the uptake. Enjoy.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Marielle O
southern california
“horrible service”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Good coffee and food, but service is TERRIBLE. I was overcharged 2x on same order and got attitude for catching the mistake. When the order comes out the toast is visiby burnt. I don't feel like going up to complain for the 3rd time... and just cut the burnt edges off. I go back next day for lunch thinking I would give them another chance. I ask if there is a lunch menu... guy at register says "up there" and points to menu on the wall. I don't see salads and ask where they are, he tells me. I ask if they have a description of the salads, he then barks back "which salad" and I say well I don't know because all I see are names- no descriptions of ingredients. So I tell him to describe 3 salads. He rattles off basic ingredients missing the type of dressing and the veggies and anything that would help me select a tasty salad. The order taker just couldn't be bothered by anything and never looked at me at any point in the transaction. Oh and all this happens while I am the only person in line... he was not swamped with people. When he brings food he says nothing just plops the plate down on the table.

If you are going to tout yourself as a premium coffee shop/cafe then offer premium or at least adequate customer service. I live in the wine country of N.CA. and know what good food and service should be. While Ikonic has a nice but small menu and nice atmosphere today is my last visit to this place... and it's because of the horrible service and attitude.

Oh and to seal the deal... while I was eating my salad a cute dog comes into the cafe and the chef, and barrista come out to pet it. Thats nice, they like dogs. Cool. Problem is they then go back to work never washing their hands in between. Wow! And are non-working dogs even allowed in restaurants in NM?

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank travelbugtoday

Been to Iconik Coffee Roasters and Cafe? Share your experiences!