“Outstanding, best calamari in town”
Review of Midtown Bistro

Midtown Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Midtown Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 565 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Outstanding, best calamari in town”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The food was amazing. The calamari was cooked perfectly and served with a special pineapple/pepper sauce, the pork and chicken ordered were also perfectly cooked. Overall, the food was amazing and the meal was flawless. The only downside was the service, we went when the place was nearly empty and simply watched as the staff grouped together in the back.

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank leo r

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“"A Valentine's Dinner Date I'll Never Forget"!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My gilfriend sent me an early morning text on Valentine's Day stating if I would "be interested in going to Midtown Bistro-her treat". I immediately called and the owner, Edmund Catanach happily took my reservation over the phone and booked it for 8:30p

The ambiance of the restaurant was romantic and beautifully decorated in a sweet Valentines theme, with fresh roses on every table...

We were seated at a table next to a window. The table had four place settings on it as we were the only one's there, so we had plenty of privacy. The acoustics of the building made it great for a quiet, romatic evening. With a "packed house" full of guests, we never once had to raise our voice as the building (made with a tall pitched roof and large brick walls) filtered out all the noise...

The restaurant staff was quick on its toes as the service was extraordinary. As my glass of water and iced tea went empty, the waiter staff was immediately refilling my glass.

We ordered salad, taquitos, and mushroom soup for appetizers and everything was delicious and prepared well... My mushroom soup was "velvety" smooth and very tasty.

I ordered a filet mignon (medium rare), while my girlfriend ordered the salmon. My filet came with potatoes and asparagus and was prepared perfectly to my liking. It was also smothered in troufle butter which made the taste melt in my mouth.

I had a taste of my girlfriend's salmon and I couldn't believe how wonderful the flavors all worked so well together. It was by far the best salmon I've ever tasted-as was her comment as well...

After our meal, the owner of the restaurant (Mr Catanach)-came over and mingled with us and asked about our dining experience... He was so generous and kind, he even ordered us chocolate covered strawberries (on the house!!!) The price of the meal was great for the experience (food, service, and ambiance).

I highly recommend Midtown Bistro to anyone who visits the City Different (Santa Fe). It will be worth your time, the price is fair, and the overall value is excellent!!!

Bravo Midtown Bistro!!! A FIVE STAR EXPERIENCE!!! Rod Tafoya-

2 Thank Rodney T
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Lunch with the Girls”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Not the first time I've enjoyed the atmosphere of this lovely calm restaurant, certainly will not be the last! When you arrive they take your coat and hang it up for you, nice touch then they escort you to your table. Our server was polite she let us know the specials of the day and came back with our requested drinks. I had the crab cakes with a small side salad, tasty and plated beautifully, we ordered the key lime and caramel cheesecake to share between the five of us! Nice spot for lunch or dinner. The menu I believe has something for everyone, the food, service all really good, you don't always find professional servers in Santa Fe, keep it in mind for a good experience.

2 Thank Santafe1954
Santa Fe
“The accoutrements of success without the acutuality”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Midtown Bistro has some wonderful qualities and so less then stellar ones. On the positive side the atmosphere is sophisticated elegance from the tablecloths to the fresh cut roses. The staff is unfailing polite and helpful. I noticed during my time there that every single diner had some degree of gray hair, with most people completely gray. It definitely skews older demographically and I think that's because the ambiance is attractive to that age group.

Like so many restaurants that focus on the trappings of success Midtown's food doesn't live up to the rest of the show. I had the crab cakes and while they were well presented they didn't leave a lasting impression. They were paired with a mango sauce that was bland and the greens, while fresh, had some sort of dressing that I simply did not care for and which clashed with the crab cakes. It was one of those dishes that sounded good on the menu but simply didn't work in practice.

Speaking of practice, you will get driving practice attempting to find a parking space here at lunch time. It's not because the restaurant is so popular but all the office workers taking up the spaces for the yoga class next door. Oi. That's not directly the restaurant's fault but given its location well away from downtown it's odd to have to hunt for a parking space.

Midtown is by no means a bad choice in this area of Santa Fe--if one happens to find themselves in the vicinity. But I would not go out of my way to come here.

1 Thank NorthernNMCritic
Bebop12345
“Great Hidden Gem”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had heard from friends that Midtown Bistro was a "must try" and having tried their key lime pie at the Pie Mania event this past November it had been on our list of places to try. We were not disappointed! The restaurant is pleasantly decorated and very clean, and we were fortunate to be seated by the window that overlooks rock sculptures of Santa Fe Stone. We started the meal with the bread basket which included 2 tiny blueberry muffins and a cinnamon roll. Both were fresh and tasty. Three of the 4 of us ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, which was topped with perfectly ripened avocado, bacon, mozzarella cheese and a slightly spicy mayo. The bread was fresh, the chicken was tender and the combination was deemed delicious by all of us. The sandwich was accompanied by a large serving of their homemade lemon pepper potato chips. YUM! The fourth member of our party ordered the ruby trout and when she asked if she could sub the red potato hash for the risotto, the response was, "Of course." She found the trout flavorful and perfectly cooked and enjoyed the hash. She thought the green olive sundried tomato salsa was an excellent addition. The four of us shared 2 slices of the key lime pie for dessert. It was as remembered- possibly the best we'd ever had. The graham cracker crust held together well and had just the crunch and the custardy filling had just the right bite. The service was excellent from start to finish. We were greeted warmly at the door, the staff was helpful and attentive without being obtrusive and there always seemed to be someone there to take empty plates away or refill glasses. We are looking forward to trying lunch or dinner next.

• Visited January 2014