“Welcome addition to restaurant scene”
Review of Midtown Bistro

Midtown Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Midtown Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 576 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Santa Fe's restaurant scene is mostly confined to the Plaza/downtown area. As a local resident, I am happy to have a good restaurant located close to where I work. The ambiance is warm and friendly, with a nod to industrial. Co-owner and chef are well acquainted with Santa Fe and the menu reflects this. I have eaten here three times and been happy with my food each time. The soups are delicious and the salmon entree at lunch can't be beat for quality and value. I know I'll be eating here all the time.

6  Thank suz505

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We came with great anticipation after reading a recent review in the local paper. The brunch menu was sparse, however, the items sounded very tasty. My wife had the eggs Benedict and I had the omelet special. My meal was nicely presented and good tasting but my wife's Benedict was lukewarm at best. When the waiter brought our food my wife asked for more coffee, but he never came back to check on the food or refill the coffee. The kicker was that the owners wife joined her parents who were seated next to us and watched as we sat with empty plates on our table for 10 minutes while the busser and waiter cleared and set other dirty tables around us. At one point, she told her parents she was going to get a waitperson and we thought that it was to clear our table, but it was only to have her meet her parents. Expensive food/ poor service and it was not busy at all. Too bad, it is a nice space.

1  Thank jsher
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I found this new restaurant by accident, having visited the paint store right across the driveway. It's located in an otherwise "commercial" area, it's most previous incarnation being a yoga/workout studio, in the midst of a decorative stone yard on San Mateo---just before you cross the railroad tracks.
The entry isn't particularly welcoming, but open the door and once inside you are transported to a clean, open and (what I know will become) hip place to dine with friends---or even by yourself.
The menus are diverse, but not overwhelming. I easily found several things I would like to try. For this visit (lunch) I had the half sandwich and soup. Since you can choose any sandwich on the menu, I went with the pork tenderloin with caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese, The soup was a potato kale; both were everything I expected. YUM. The only weakness of my plate was the "salad". It should have been called, "lettuce" because it was just that, the ubiquitous baby greens with a very light drizzle of vinaigrette, but it needed a little something more; a shred of carrot, a sprinkle of green onion; something.
The next day I took my husband for breakfast. I had the waffles with bacon and warm fruit compote. He had the steak and eggs; because the "steak" was Hanger steak, which we have never seen on a menu for breakfast. All were cooked to perfection and flavorful.
While we were there, I took the opportunity to look at the dinner menu.....I'll definitely be back. As a matter of fact; how 'bout tonight!
Prices are reasonable. Coffee is good. They do not yet have a liquor license. Service is good. They are still working out some of the kinks, and I think they will do just that.
When weather permits they will have outdoor seating amongst the tall shady trees and water features scattered throughout the grounds. I look forward to the next visit.

5  Thank cupcake22763
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This new restaurant comes with great previous backgrounds, notably the original SantaCafe,
When it was at its best. Same chef, front person, and Janet, best wait person in town. I had eggs Benedict, just as ordered, with hollandaise made from scratch and perfectly presented. It's definitely a locals choice and for good reason. Dinner is served other nights and the menu looks superb. Ambience is French Modern. We saw several friends there, so it's definitely going to be a big success. Prices are quite reasonable, considering that every meal is unique. Lots of choices in town now,(not previously the case); and this one deserves all the praise I can give.

9  Thank Howard R
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was an unexpected treat in Santa Fe. This little restaurant tucked in off of second street in the midst of a beautiful "rock garden" demonstrating a great use of landscape options felt a bit like Salt Creek Grille in Dana Point. Ambiance was refreshing, menu was simple but diverse and the flavors were well presented. The service and hospitality stood out with owner Edmond at the helm. A quaint setting with large open space and good design - it is good to have a new place to share and enjoy. Santa Fe is full of beautiful restaurants...but the service can be spotty even at the best of them. It seems that Midtown Bistro in Santa Fe stands out with excellent timing, great presentation and balance. The room is fresh and inviting - with good table spacing and impeccable style. Just down the street from the second street brewery (a great casual and funky place as well) it offers a bit more of a sophisticated atmosphere which is perfect for business lunches or romantic dinners. Prices are very reasonable as well. Happy to share about this little spot!

7  Thank blessasugo