“excellent dessert and coffee”

Chez Mamou French Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Mamou French Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 567 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“excellent dessert and coffee”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just had desserts and coffee but was excellent. Real french baking in Santa Fe. A nice treat. Very friendly place--they didn't mind at all that we just came for dessert.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank debs626

St. Catharines, Canada
“Cozy, inviting and delicious!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A slice of the real France in Santa Fe! The best baked goods and breakfast we've encountered in years. Friendly, warm service, and the chance to chat with the hosts in French if you're so inclined! A real gem...

Visited April 2013
7 Thank Mochamyrrh
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Who is Mamou Because I Want To Thank Her”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This new little delightful enclave, intermingled with a bead and gem shop on Palace Ave is a little gem itself! One and a half blocks East of the Plaza; easy stroll from anywhere, and well worth it. If you are driving, there are plenty of opportunities within a block to park at a meter.
The first time I went in, I did so because I heard the French pastry chef, Paul creates culinary magic with the almond cookies and croissants....they were "la bombe".
The second time; I came to dine, and dine we did. It started with a basket of freshly baked ever so slightly sweet dinner rolls and butter. My husband had the chicken Cordon Bleu, which came with a serving of perfectly stacked and moist gratin which, if you crave gratin, it could make you do things you normally would not do at a dining table just to get the last bite. It also came with a small side of perfectly vinaigrette-coated baby greens. At the suggestion of the delightful (French) proprietor, Noella, I had the Marsala Pork Medallions, which were supreme. I would have liked my meal to be hot (it was just under warm), but the gratin on my plate made me forget any shortcomings.
Of course we could not leave without a sweet, so we shared a coffee, which was strong and flavorful, not bitter---and a chocolate truffle, one of the major food groups---oh my; creamy on the inside, dark chocolate dusted dark chocolate shell on the outside, not too sweet, but very rich. Deciding that we needed our daily serving of fruit, we took home the last fruit tart to have later. It was the best tart I've had in Santa Fe, and by that I mean the crust was soft enough to bite into without crumbling, yet firm enough to not be mushed by the filling. The ratio of ripe flavorful fruit to filling to glaze was precise....more magic I suspect.
The room is light-filled, quaint and casual. Some of the waitstaff are more attentive than others. The prices are commensurate. It seems like they are always open---really smart in this town.
There is escargot, which was presented well. I will be back with my discerning palate to check out the omelets and brioche, and anything else the real French chef comes up with, and I'll let you know.
Go there now, and I'm sure you will be back again.
Overall the experience was magnifique! Bien sur!

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank cupcake22763
Pelican Lake, Wisconsin
“Cafe & Bakery”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

First the logistics: a short 5 streets West of the Plaza. Just beyond the grounds of St. Farancis Cathedral, a neo-Romanesque interior worth a visit itself, with the oldest Madonna statue in the USA, 1625. Ah the coffee, your initial thought, and a perfect selection of European brew it is. Mamou Cafe & Bakery has exactly the menu you would find in Paris. A tasty, but not vast selection of French bakery. Onion soup, escargot, sliced meats and fresh salad choices, and of course cheeses. I had a spectacular lightly smoked jambon with gruyere cheese omelette, garnished with spinach salad and a wedge of a unique layered scalloped potatoes. Desert was a delicious cherry with almond paste tart. Couldn't pass up the coconut laced, semi chocolate iced, fresh meringue, with a coffee refill of course. Very reasonably priced. A dozen indoor tables, plus outdoor tables a la sidewalk cafe. Spotless. Perfecto.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Joecafone
La Grande, OR
“France in Santa Fe”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This comfortable little cafe gives you a truly authentic taste of France...wonderful croissants, truffles, salads, espresso, etc. This was one of the highlights of our recent trip to the Southwest.

• Visited March 2013