“I Don’t Get the Draw of This Place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taberna - CLOSED

Taberna
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish, Wine Bar, American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Taberna is introducing Nuevo Latino Cuisine in tapa form! Nuevo Latino is a fresh, modern approach to cooking the New World Flavors of the Americas. The cuisine borrows ideas and ingredients from the diverse and delicious Latino cultures of North, South and Central Americas.
Los Angeles
“I Don’t Get the Draw of This Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

So we arrived late in Santa Fe the first night of our stay in this great city. I had read the wonderful reviews for Taberna La Boca and had noted on their web site that they had a late Happy Hour from 10-11PM. We were tired from our flight and really ready for some wine and tapas, so we headed as quickly as we could to Taberna. It was still crowded as we approached the bar to order wine. The bartender barked loudly that he couldn’t possibly serve any wine or beer since they close the bar at 11PM. I looked at my watch and it was exactly 10:45PM. The bartender was obviously too lazy to give us our drinks and let us remain with the other customers, many of whom had still had full drinks on their tables. It was a Thursday evening, but really! One of the waiters seemed embarrassed and was very helpful in giving us the name of another place where they would still be serving. So we were determined not to return. However….

The next evening we drove out to the countryside in search of Harry’s Roadhouse, which to our huge surprise was closed when we got there. My fault: I hadn’t called ahead, but it was a Friday night and I had checked their website and there was no notice of being closed. But I digress. By the time we got back to the Plaza area and parked our car, there didn’t seem to be anything open, so I suggested we return to Taberna La Boca since I now knew how to find it in its somewhat odd location. Maybe the good food reviewed elsewhere would end up making us forget our previous evening’s experience. We arrived and asked to be seated inside, having noted many empty tables there. The hostess said that they were taken and we had to sit on the patio. As the evening progressed, most of those tables inside were never again occupied. I am supposing that the patio edict was solely for purposes of convenience of the servers and not for convenience of the customer.

We had a Mural reserve wine which was fine, and the pilsner draught was especially good. We then ordered Bocadillos, which turned out to be perhaps one small greasy semi-stale submarine roll cut in half. Inside was a whisper thin piece of Serrano ham, a wilted piece of arugula and olive oil. A total rip-off and a real disappointment. We then ordered the large portion of Pasta Vegetales with shrimp so we could share it. It was an adequate size, but the shrimp were overcooked and there was very little flavor to the pasta/vegetable mixture. Another disappointment. We did decide to have a Pot de Crème for dessert (mysteriously written as Pots de Crème on the menu – I wonder what happened in the translation). It was fine and we enjoyed it.

The place has a trendy hipster vibe and I suppose that is the draw for the crowd there, but I don’t really get it. I would not ever return, due to the service mentality, the quality of cuisine and the fine dining prices which are exorbitant for the much less than fine dining experience there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank FrequentTraveller034

Corvallis, OR
“Total Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We enjoyed a late evening meal of tapas and several sherries here on our first night in Santa Fe. A culinary delight, enhanced by a very knowledgeable waiter. Inspirational food and drink in a casual setting: serious cooking, intense pleasure, memorable dining.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Taberna Uncorked”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

After writing a review a few nights ago about La Boca, I had the urge to go eat at it's sister restaurant Taberna. I've eaten here a few times, usually just a glass of wine and quick tapa that they serve at the bar, but tonight I went for the "Taberna Uncorked" tapa and wine pairing menu, and it was fabulous!

It's so nice to see their specials stepping up a bit, and when eating here tonight it almost felt like La Boca did when they first opened, chic and spunky with none of the attitude.

The pairing menu consisted of (i even saved a copy of the menu) fried calamari w/spicy pineapple aioli, crab croquettes w/ roasted bell pepper vinaigrette and radish frisee salad (the salad balanced out the small plate of 3-4 croquettes), baked mussels w/ israeli couscous, chermoula and coconut milk (sooo balanced), and, bocatos de Madrid....we also ordered a few more tapas, but this menu was what made dinner shine. Also, the platanos (bananas) wrapped in serano ham and drizzled with caramel were more than breath taking, it was like bananas foster slapped with savory flavors, we ordered two. The wine pairings were fabulous as well.

I have mostly good to say about Taberna, the food seems to be the winner on every occasion that I've eaten here. I will say that brunch is a bit awkward because they keep it deadly silent in the dining room, no music on the two occasions that I've dined for brunch, and the service in the front seems to be hit or miss. Everyone is friendly, but sometimes they are a bit absent, and only a few of the servers are knowledgeable about wine. The food makes up for it either way.

They don't take reservations, but we've never had to wait too long, and the patio rocks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Excellent Bites at Taberna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I loved the food and the atmosphere and didn't have to order everything on the menu to feel satisfied.

Visited April 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“nice snacks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

sometimes it's a challenge to find a snack place while gallery hopping....well here is one....they are a sister restaurant to La Boca w/a lower price point and patio dining...our food, jason sliders and the torte off of the happy hour menu were nice proportioned....we really just wanted a snack around 3:30 so we could dine lightly again for dinner...their Chardonnay is light bodied w/a touch of oak and nicely priced....the only drawback is their patio needs some focal point to create some sort of personality....their patio furniture is not very comfortable....all in all, will definitely try indoor dining off of lunch menu and compare to La Boca....

• 4 of 5 bubbles