“So disappointed”
Review of Taberna - CLOSED

Taberna
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Taberna is introducing Nuevo Latino Cuisine in tapa form! Nuevo Latino is a fresh, modern approach to cooking the New World Flavors of the Americas. The cuisine borrows ideas and ingredients from the diverse and delicious Latino cultures of North, South and Central Americas.
Austin
“So disappointed”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stopped into this small and packed tapas cafe on the recommendation of a local who said she orders take-out lunch there often. I can see why she would recommend it. The food was actually very good. The kitchen is terribly diserved by the waitstaff. Our waiter took 10 minutes to offer us water. The last time we saw him --until he brought the bill--was to deliver the food. I finally got up and re-filled our water glasses myself. They were waaay understaffed, and the waiter was poorly trained. There are too many good choices in Santa Fe for this.

Visited October 2012
14 Thank texasrambler_62

Boulder, Colorado
“Meh”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Despite all the rave reviews for La Boca, I wasn't overly impressed with their food. It was pretty pricey, and I thought the Flamenco player was the best part. Therefore, I didn't have very high expectations for their sister restaurant, Taberna. I went here with some colleagues, and to be honest, I can't even remember anything that we ordered that was unforgettable. The Manchego Croquettes were pretty tasty, as were the fingerling potatoes. Being the only flesh eater, I ordered the chorizo "hot dog" to balance out all the veggies. It was ok. A little tough to eat. The bread was just a charred hot dog bun. The mustard definitely improved the overall flavor, as did the pickles.
I do like the patio, though it sits in the middle of a business center. The waitstaff was very friendly.
All in all, I don't think I would choose to eat here again. Santa Fe has so many damn good restaurants, that it's hard to pass up something that I like better for a mediocre meal.

• Visited October 2012
13 Thank Kabukinibble
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Delicious”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

A casual restaurant with terrific service, delicious tapas and paella. Outstanding wine list. Located very near the Plaza. The chef came out to greet the patrons, nice touch.

• Visited October 2012
Santa Fe NM
“Fabulous food in a lively atmosphere”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stopped at the new Taberna La Boca recently.We enjoyed ourselves very much.
Taberna has a wonderful selection of hot & cold tapas.We sampled our way through only a small selection before filling up.
Nacha Mendez Trio was playing great Spanish music .Our server,Tess,was as helpful and gracious, as she is lovely.
We'll certainly be returning soon.

Trenton, New Jersey
“Don't Confuse it with La Boca”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Review of Taberna La Boca in SF

We had dinner a few days ago at the newly opened Taberna La Boca, an offshoot of the ever-popular La Boca on Marcy Street. Apparently, La Boca has opened this bar/restaurant for their overflow of reservations. The tapas menu is similar, and there’s a full wine and sherry list.

However, we’ve had dinner at La Boca, which was wonderful, but be warned: Taberna is NOT La Boca. It’s more bar than restaurant- a very bustling bar at that- with “outdoor” seating inside an office mall atrium with an open roof.

We ordered seven tapas and were very disappointed by most dishes. The octopus (pulpo) was disgusting- we sent it back to the kitchen. Completely inedible- it smelled like rancid tuna fish- and I feel confident saying this because we make several octopus dishes ourselves at home with some success.

Our very understanding waiter asked almost pleadingly that we substitute it with another cold dish rather than ordering a hot replacement from the kitchen. I’ve worked in plenty of restaurants, so I sensed his apprehension. Something was up in the kitchen, but one can only speculate. Instead, our waiter went to the cold station and brought back smoked salmon, two sushi-sized pieces, wrapped in a mild cream cheese described as goat cheese on the menu. At least we didn’t have to eat the octopus.

The grilled artichokes with goat cheese were nice, as were the ground pork meatballs with Romesco sauce; we just wished there were more than three. The pork shoulder tapas with grilled vegetables was terribly dry. The white anchovy tapas was a joke- a tiny slice of bread with a dollop of red sauce and a sliver of anchovy. I remembered ordering this and forgot to savor it since it was dropped on the olive plate. We had to check our bill to make sure this was, in fact, an actual tapas and not a side for the olives.

They don’t serve bread (or even have olive oil on the table) so be aware- this is not dinner. For $120 with two glasses of wine, tax and tip, Taberna is a complete rip off.

The experience reminded me of the book I read on the flight over about Paul Newman and the travails and potential pitfalls involved in creating and selling sauces and dressings, which, in his case, revolutionized the food industry. Lesson learned is it doesn’t matter if you’ve got a famous, recognizable face on the label. People will buy it once. But if it sucks, they won’t buy it again, and they’ll tell their friends.

• Visited September 2012