“Delicious drinking chocolate and friendly staff”

Kakawa Chocolate House
Ranked #1 of 25 Dessert in Santa Fe
Description: We are a specialty chocolate company with a passion for historic drinking chocolate elixirs and hand crafted truffles, caramels, baked goods and more! Come in daily for tastings of our warm elixirs or cold organic ice cream- Eat in or take out for the best sweet treat in Santa Fe!
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We enjoyed the drinking chocolate so much at Kakawa that we returned several times during our week in Santa Fe. We were offered lots of samples to help us choose among the varieties of different chocolate "elixirs"--from spicy to floral to traditional. The shop is fun, the staff is friendly, and the chocolate is yummy...what a great place!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We just happened to see Kakawa while driving around downtown Santa Fe. I remembered it being highly rated in reviews so, we parked and entered for our first visit. What a quaint little chocolate, dessert, and beverage establishment. The possibility of drinking a chocolate beverage with roots back to Mayan and Aztec times interested me greatly But, making a choice was difficult. Luckily, the gal behind the counter offered samples of 3 "ancient elixirs". My wife and I both made our choices and we sat down to enjoy them. I spent most of my time inside looking at all the dessert offerings and all the interesting art objects on their walls. I would consider a visit here as more of an indulgence of your senses as apposed to a place just to placate a desire to drink coffee or hot chocolate. Extremely interesting business. Glad we entered. Our chance to drink a beverage with such historic significance was not to be missed.

1  Thank Gordon L
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was our last stop before we headed out of town. Next time it will be the first place we visit. It is a small, cool shop with about 10 varieties of hot chocolate ready to sample before you order- some dark and spicy, others milky and sweet- all so much better than you've had before. The sweet treats (brownies, cookies, including gluten free) were delicious. Two cases of chocolates are very tempting. Art work, cocoa mixes, etc are available to buy and would make good souvenirs. The host was a very nice guy and stole my daughter's heart with a free cookie.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We visited Kakawa Chocolate House based onTrip Advisor reviews, and it exceeded our expectations! The décor was charming, reflecting the local culture and the service was excellent. The young lady that served us was very knowledgeable, and provided us with a lot of useful information to guide us through the tasting. It was great that we were able to try the different chocolate elixirs before selecting the drink we wanted to order. My husband had the rose almond elixir and loved it! I ordered the chili elixir and loved it as well. We shared an earl grey truffle and the caramel pecan truffle...they were delicious! You can also buy packaged mixtures of the elixirs to take home (which we did). Kakawa Chocolate House is located close to Canyon Road, so it is a great spot to visit while you are exploring the local art galleries.

1  Thank CDN_Adventurers
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Love this darling place. Fantastic, interesting drinking chocolates. My daughter and husband really enjoyed the chocolate ice cream. The owner was incredibly friendly and clearly knows how to treat customers.