“I feel like I'm in New Mexico”

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #21 of 567 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Plaza Cafe on the Santa Fe Plaza is a historic restaurant that has reopened after a fire in Sep 2010. It is the dining hub on the Plaza. It reopened last week and I would like to write a review of my experience. Joe Shaffer
Williamsburg, Virginia
“I feel like I'm in New Mexico”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Plaza Café makes me feel as though I've just stepped out of my covered wagon traveling on the Santa Fe trail. Even though it's on the main plaza with many tourists the café retains its local flavor and its local customers.
We enjoy all of our meals there but breakfast is a favorite with many unique dishes. And I like anything with green chili.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank sojourner12345
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thanks so much for the review, sojourner12345! I appreciate you taking the time to find us here on Yelp and sharing your thoughts. It's great to read that you enjoyed your recent visit and I'll be sure to share your compliments with my team here. If your travels bring you back to Santa Fe in the future, I hope you'll come back and see us!

Best,
Daniel, Owner

tularosa, NM
“good choice in Sta. Fe”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I had an indian taco, she had chicken mole. Both very good and a reasonable price. This is a good choice in downtown Santa Fe and you can't beat the location.

• Visited March 2014
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thanks a lot, tulieguy! I'm glad you both enjoyed the visit when you stopped by back in March, and I appreciate you leaving this feedback for me. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions as to how we could improve, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. Next time you're in the area I hope you'll stop by and say hello!

Best,
Daniel, Owner
Framingham, Massachusetts
“yummy food, great service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Plaza cafe is delicious! My sister and I were in Santa Fe for the day and were looking for some American food with a Southwestern twist-this place was perfect! Ramiro was our server and was super nice. When I didn't know what mole sauce was, he offered to let us taste it first. He was helpful in choosing food items, too. We got mac & cheese, a fish sandwich, and mashed potatoes. All were super yummy-vegetables came with the mac & cheese and were heavenly. Reasonable prices for the amount of food you get. Overall great place!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank veronicalynn514
Alameda, California, United States
“A Santa Fe legend lives on”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

When the venerable Plaza Restaurant was gutted by fire a few years ago, many of us year-long fans despaired of it ever reopening, as one bureaucratic or financial hurdle after the other seemed to bedevil the owners. But reopen it finally did, and with the exception of the famous neon map of New Mexico that used to grace the rear wall, the Plaza looks exactly as we remembered it.

And hallelujah! The food is still the same familiar and comforting fare we've loved for years. Personal favorite: Blue Corn Pancakes with Piñon Nuts and a side of Pure Maple Syrup.

My only quibble is that this is not exactly a cheap breakfast... but given the view out the sunny front windows, and the always incomparable people-watching opportunities (including the occasional celebrity sighting), it's more than worth it.

Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Historic Dining”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Plaza Cafe has been a Santa Fe Plaza fixture for years. It's easy to see why. The food is delicious, the service friendly, and the prices reasonable. My dining companions had the mac & cheese and the fish sandwich. I had the tortilla burger. All were very good - especially the french fries that came with the fish and burger. It's a place I'll return to time and time again.

• Visited March 2014