“Great place when you're "chili'ed" out!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Famous Plaza Cafe

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #21 of 556 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Cafe, Diner, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Plaza Cafe on the Santa Fe Plaza is a historic restaurant that has reopened after a fire in Sep 2010. It is the dining hub on the Plaza. It reopened last week and I would like to write a review of my experience. Joe Shaffer
Sarasota, Florida
“Great place when you're "chili'ed" out!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stopped in for dinner later on a Sunday evening when most everything around downtown seemed to be closed. I really appreciated the diverse menu as I had maxed out on chilies at that point. I had a great portabello mushroom sandwich and my brother had chicken mole enchiladas which he said were excellent. We even grabbed a take-home dinner to go for my mom! The atmosphere was fun and not too loud considering how crowded it was. The desserts looked great but I just couldn't eat any more food - the sandwich was huge and the pile of freshly made french fries was even bigger!

4 Thank Phoebe B
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Ah yes, the classic case of being "chile'd out." We see it all the time here in Santa Fe; as great as green chile is, it takes years of practice to be able to eat it with every meal! Great choice with the Portabello Sandwich! While I'm glad you enjoyed your meal, I hope next time you find yourself visiting New Mexico you'll save room for dessert. You won't be let down! Thanks for the great review, Phoebe.

Euless, Texas
“Vibrant restaurant with large menu and food portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This restaurant is always busy and it is easy to see why. Portions are large and the food is very good. We had chips and salsa with three different salsas. There is a arbol red salsa, that could also be used as a sauce, that is smokey and tangy. There is also a tomatillo and chipolte salsa that are both tangy with lots of flavor. Both blue and regular tortilla chips were crisp and fresh. We had tortilla soup that is made with a red chili broth. I had never seen it that way. The soup had lots of onions and cheese but could have had more avacado. Additionally, it does not include chicken. Still very good. A very convenient place right on the main plaza in Santa Fe.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the terrific review! I appreciate the attention to detail with your description of our chips and salsa (and I'm equally happy you enjoyed them). Our tortilla soup recipe is a little different from what many are used to, so I'm glad you gave it a try. If it wasn't what you were expecting, next time we'd be happy to steer you in the direction of something more along the lines of what you're hungry for!

Hope to see you back next time you're in the neighborhood,
Chicago
“Right on the plaza, great service and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had worked up an appetite browsing the plaza in the chilly morning air. We looked at the extensive brunch menu and decided it would be a memorable place to eat. We were greeted warmly and got excellent service. Our New Mexican food was tasty and reasonable. The server cheerfully told us about the restaurant's owners who had built a successful business. A great place to dine and enjoy the ambiance of the plaza and its iconic place in history.

5 Thank m3Chicago
Sounds like you enjoyed a truly unique trip to Santa Fe. We love living here and sharing our town with visitors! I'm so glad you chose to swing by while checking out the plaza. It's great to hear you were a fan of our food. Not sure if your server mentioned this — it's one of my favorite factoids about our restaurant — but our building has been around for 132 years! That's 31 years before New Mexico was even a state!

Hope you'll find yourself in Santa Fe again soon,
San Antonio, Texas
“Good Food and Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stumbled upon The Plaza Cafe while in Santa Fe and I found it to be ok. The food was average but very affordable considering other restaurants in the area. We did have great service and the being centrally located made it nice.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Yvonnes_Travel_Tips
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thanks for visiting our wonderful city! We're glad you stumbled upon us and we appreciate you taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed our ambiance and service, but when it comes to our food, we aim for nothing short of delicious! If you have further feedback, we'd love to hear it. (You can contact us via our website.)

I hope you'll find yourself back in New Mexico soon, and when you do you'll give us another shot. I promise our food will wow you!

Best,
Pearland, Texas
“Great place for breakfast if you are in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Skip the hotel restaurant and head here for breakfast if you are in the area. We stumbled upon this place by chance and thought it looked worth a try, and was glad we did. Everything we had was prepared well and was very tasty. The service was good and quick also. A great way to start your day!

• Visited April 2013