“So Much is Service”
Review of Chris' Cafe - CLOSED

Chris' Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our cafe is located across the street from the Hampton Inn. Look for "The Lofts" sign, or, just look for a wall of yellow Penske trucks. We're behind that wall!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“So Much is Service”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had read some reviews of Chris' and thus eagerly made our way to the slightly hidden "gem" of an eatery. Nothing fancy really in either menu or decor, this is more a classic, small, restaurant in which one seems to encounter people whom you just "know" come there to eat several times a week. Imagine our delight when we walked in and were promptly and enthusiastically greeted by the famous "waitress with the pink hair". I feel badly for not having gotten her name, but what a treasure they have gained in employing her! She is the epitome of efficiency meets pleasant demeanor. Attending each of the handful of tables with great care, she ensured that every coffee cup was full, the meals pleasing, and that we as diners felt...appreciated and cared about. Yes, it's true...sappy...but true. My partner in this culinary escapade enjoyed the breakfast burrito while I ordered the eggs Benedict...a side of green chile as suggested by our server. The food was good and reasonably priced. Have I had better? Yes. But when eating out, I find that so much of how I walk away feeling is service related. In this case, I recommend Chris' without any hesitation. The meal will leave you satisfied, the flavor not lacking, but the wonderful service of the "pink haired waitress" will leave you eager to return.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Trips_and_Adventures
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Aww, thank you, DavidofFortWorth...And I do agree that we have the best rancheros ever. I think our breakfas,t in general, is the best in SF. Just nice to hear it from others. Thank you

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“May be small but packs a punch!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I finally stopped to have a green chili cheeseburger last year at this small and cosy cafe. We were greeted with a warm small and great service. The burger is one of the best in Santa Fe. We now come here with some regularity, and the breakfast was terrific this morning after a workout at the Chavez Center gym. I had the Greek omelette with spinach, feta cheese and crispy potatoes on the side. My husband had the cinnamon French toast with sausage. Both were excellent and Nicole did a great job of keeping our coffee hot and our water glass filled. Don't let the strip center location fool you. This is a great little place for great food and great smiles.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Travelers86
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much, Travelers86, for a great review. I'm happy we were able to attain such wonderful words. We look forward to your next visit. Definitely say "HI" when you come in.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A Classic Case of 'Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover'”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Tucked away in a small, run-down strip mall -- partially shielded from view of the main street by Ryder Truck Rental and sandwiched between a vacant space and a shop with its windows mostly pasted over that purports to "Buy Gold" -- is Chris' Café.

I bet I've driven by Chris' 100 times or more while travelling along Cerrillos, seeing the sign but never thinking I should stop in, until I noted the reviews on TripAdvisor. Curious, I stopped in for lunch to see what the fuss was about.

And it made me a little upset at myself for not being more adventurous with regard to Chris' in the past based upon the location and strip mall exterior. Because inside, there's some darn good food.

The other reviews do a good job of describing the interior of Chris', though I can add that on the back wall hangs a quite positive review of Chris' by Anne Hillerman of the Albuquerque Journal, written about a year ago. A good start for lunch before I even sat down.

I was fortunate enough to be directed to the table in the back corner, where I could observe things easily. I also lucked out as the waitress at work this day was clearly the cheerful woman described in the other reviews -- and she is even more charming and delightful than described :)

An order of green chile chicken enchiladas with an over-easy egg on top later, I can certainly throw in with the reviewers providing positive ratings. The green chile sauce was made by someone who obviously knows what they are doing, and the flavors and ranging textures of the chicken, cheese and blue corn tortillas melded together with authentic, down-home taste and mouth feel. The posole was very flavorful (mine doesn't come out like that...). I feel like Chris' might want to experiment a bit with the bland-ish beans, though on second thought, the toned-down beans certainly let the delicious enchiladas rule the dish.

My tab came to $17.55 (with ~25% tip) -- in line with comparable places which, on average, serve less-than-comparable food to Chris'.

• Visited January 2014
6 Thank Tradr62
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Tradr62, I have to say that I loved reading your review. It was in-depth, and if I were a traveler, I'd be reading your reviews and making a few decisions based on that opinion. Thanks again for the kind words. We hope to serve you again soon.
“OK ”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Out of tea, lemonade, english muffins, spinach... The "truck hasn't come in yet." The menu looked promising, but the first two things I wanted were no-go items due to lack of ingredients. (Eggs Benedict & Greek omelet.)

Tiny eating area (7 tables.) One overworked server who also had to bus, cashier, and answer the phone - though she was incredibly energetic & positive ... a polite, highly efficient, and very busy hummingbird.

Food order delivered accurately, and the flavor/presentation were very good. We felt the prices were too high for a diner. The three of us (no sides, but a decent tip) rang up $45.

Open only for breakfast & lunch. Easy to miss from the main road. Apple maps puts it on the wrong side of the road. Google maps is correct.

3 Thank horseshrink
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Horseshrink. It was insightful, and straight forward. It's difficult going into detail about how this cafe operates, food deliveries, pricing, etc. without sounding like I'm making excuses. I remember your table. I didn't feel good at all about how we came off looking, because we're better than that. As for pricing, we're actually pretty cheap compared to all the restaurants in Santa Fe, and I do have to say that we are not a diner! I would of liked to have known the price of your meal without because tips are all based on a personal bias. However, thank you for taking the time to review. I hope to have another chance.
“I wanted to love this place”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I told my grandparents I was taking them here since they always want to eat at just one place when we're in Santa Fe. They usually hate everything and my mom tagged along, she's the same as them never wanting to try anything new. I was really surprised because they all loved it so much I was so happy to have found a place they liked for once. I ordered the carne adovada but didn't really care for it, its not that it didn't have a great flavor it really did, it's just that it wasn't tender enough. Now what I really had a complaint with was our waitress. She was possibly on drugs, she seemed so out of it. The younger girl they have with the pink hair should have been our waitress, she was so sweet with everyone and very prompt. The one we had didn't refill our drinks and when she forgot to bring what I asked for with my order she actually had the nerve to say I didn't ask for that. And even after that she still forgot stuff. The owner was a complete gentleman opening the door for my grandpa and I as we came in, he seemed very nice all around and you can tell he takes pride in his business. Funny thing is I ate off everyone else's plates and the food they ordered was great. I should have just gotten one of their plates. I definitely want to go back soon, I'd just request a diff waitress.

• Visited March 2013