“Yum!”
Review of Chris' Cafe - CLOSED

Chris' Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Our cafe is located across the street from the Hampton Inn. Look for "The Lofts" sign, or, just look for a wall of yellow Penske trucks. We're behind that wall!
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I've been reading some of the reviews on here, and I can't help but wonder about the folks who said the food at Chris' lacks flavor. We go to Chris' 1, 2, sometimes 3 times a week, and every single time our food is delicious. The carne adovada is absolutely the best anywhere in town. I love the fact that they use jack cheese in their dishes, rather than the standard yellow "cheddar" cheese every other restaurant in town uses. I'm not a huge fan of posole, but when I order a dish that has posole as a side at Chris', I eat every bit of it. One reviewer said the beans and chile tasted like they were from a can? I'd like to know what brand of canned beans they buy, because Chris' beans are perfect! Yesterday I had carne adovada y huevos, and my daughter had carne adovada enchiladas, and we both cleaned our plates. Here's a photo we took after a breakfast for 3 a few weeks ago....a testament to the deliciousness of the food at Chris' Café. Carne adovada enchilada with green chile, beans & posole, French toast with blueberries & sausage, and bacon, eggs & potatoes.

7  Thank S0n_Fl0werz
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

SOn_Fl0werz, thanks you for taking the time to review us again, and for coming to our defense. If only the Trip Advisor people knew of your culinary prowless, they would understand how much your opinion should be valued in regards to cuisine. So again, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Chris' Cafe

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a no frills cafe with really good items for breakfast. If you are in the hotels in that area and tired of the ho hum items there just put this address in the GPS and have a great breakfast. The items are true New Mexican and well as standard. Give it a try, you can't go wrong and the prices are fair.

6  Thank Toshiam

Toshiam, thank you for taking time to review our little cafe. We're working hard to bring the level of service and quality you would expect downtown, except without downtown pricing. I'm so glad you recognized the value in what we do. Thank you

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We decided to check out Chris' Cafe based on TA reviews. I don't know that they have the "best chicken enchiladas ever, ever", but they were really good. They only have seven tables and no ambiance but the genuine friendliness of our server and the cook made us feel right at home. There was no grumbling about us splitting an entree which was refreshing. Prices were very fair. It's been added to our "must" list for Santa Fe visits from now on. If other offerings are as good as the enchiladas, we'll be very happy.

7  Thank Cyd'sTips

Cyd's Tips, first off, thanks for putting us on your must list. And thank you for taking time to leave a review about your experience with us. We do call it the best enchilada ever, but I know that my grandma's are the best ever, so...but seriously, I value all reviews, and I value the fact you took time to do so, so thank you.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had breakfast at Chris' before heading to Albuquerque on the train one morning. Friends, my husband and I were staying at the campground directly behind Chris' and heard that it was a good place to eat. The info was accurate. My husband and I shared an omelet (they are big) and added some bacon and coffee to finish the meal off. We were offered tortillas or toast with the omelet. The service was friendly and quick. Prices were very reasonable.

7  Thank plbbob
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

plbbob, I thank you for a wonderful review. We're glad you chose us out of many establishments in Santa Fe. We do hope next time your in town, you come by and dine with us again. And once again, thanks for choosing us.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

During a short stay in Santa Fe, companion & I visited a highly rated Trip Advisor restaurant for breakfast. We found ‘Chris’s Cafe in a nondescript strip center on a major street. I prefer small restaurants & we both love Mexican food, so we were looking forward to a delicious breakfast. Both of us ordered Huevos Rancheros... one with the spicier red sauce and one with the milder green sauce. The over- medium eggs were cooked perfectly and the potatoes were fine, but the pinto beans and sauce tasted like they were out of a can. The red sauce had no flavor or heat, and the beans were the same. The green sauce was bland. We had to ask for our tortillas, as they had been forgotten. I should have gone with my gut feeling when we arrived, since there was only one other person in the restaurant.
The server was friendly and offered coffee and water refills. Although sparsely decorated, the venue appeared clean. A few pieces of attractive pottery were for sale on a shelf. I am still wondering how this restaurant was rated so high.

3  Thank TiaMio

TiaMio, thank you for reviewing our little cafe. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I can assure you that we use top quality New Mexican red and green chiles, and we prepare them on-site. There isn't a can on premises whatsoever.
Our recipes are derived from basic Northern New Mexican cooking, and the difference between "Mexican" and "New Mexican" are opposite spectrum. A reminder has been made to our kitchen staff regarding seasoning and spices, and the importance of following these recipes.
We do stand behind our food, and value, and it was an up-hill battle before food arrived.