“Better than 'The Pantry'”
Review of Chris' Cafe - CLOSED

Chris' Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our cafe is located across the street from the Hampton Inn. Look for "The Lofts" sign, or, just look for a wall of yellow Penske trucks. We're behind that wall!
Reviewed August 25, 2013

From California, have been to The Pantry many times, on this trip had a breakfast there as well, and decided to try Chris Cafe the next day. Service was great, the place is tiny, and has a small menu, however seriously good food. My husband had the 'Huevos Verde y Jamon' (Green eggs and ham) and liked it so much we had to go the following day as well. I ordered the Eggs Benedict and the server suggested ordering the red chili to pour over the Hollandaise, she wasn't wrong, it was terrific. This is a small, simple place, but they care about the customer and the food, and it shows. The server even offered to fix us coffee and water to go as we were hitting the road back to Cal.
Do I wish they had a premium coffee and then life would be completely perfect? Maybe, but then maybe this is perfect enough.

5  Thank MGFuqua
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

MGFuqua, I have to say reading your review made me very happy. We do believe that if you have great food at a great price, and if your customer service is top notch, you should have nothing to worry about. I'm so happy that my staff was able to achieve that, and to hear that they went above and beyond just makes my day. So thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience, and for giving us a top rating.

There are newer reviews for Chris' Cafe

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Thanks to tripadvisor for convincing us to come to Chris's place. It's hard to spot behind the Penske truck place, so be observant! Seven tables for this tiny place. Only open for less than two years, the food is the star. I love cafe Pasquale and I love IHOP. Chris's is closer to cafe Pasquale. The server couldn't possibly have been more accommodating, offering tastes of the red and green chilis before ordering. She also offers "Christmas" so you get red and green! My coffe cup stayed as full as I wanted it! You can see Chris in the kitchen working his heartfelt magic. I had breakfast quesadillas, with crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, guacamole, pepper jack and Christmas dipping sauces. D had a breakfast burrito smothered in the green chili, with scrambled eggs, pork adovado, and the most perfect home fries. Have you noticed how rare good home fries are these days? Usually they seem to be parboiled and then a quick sauté with paprika to make them look brown. Not here! They are carefully prepared, crispy on at least one side, creamy inside, obviously cooked right. This is Chris's endeavor to make a success of his own place after successfully working for others. Breakfast and lunch is his thing for now. It's excellent home cooked love food. If you want to spend more and say you've been to the fancy places, go. If you're looking for chef to table lovingly prepared New Mexican, make a beeline for Chris's at the Penske truck place on cerrillos road.

6  Thank rovingcarole
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The best green chile enchilada that I've ever tasted, comes from a hole in the wall - type restaurant called Chris' on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe, NM. This is actually more of a Cantina - type cafe, but go for that particular dish that Chris himself has perfected - and all for $9.95.
I haven't actually tried anything else, but I'm going back soon for the above dish...... or maybe something else....
Please note, that Chris' is open for lunch and dinner, but dinner is being stopped in a week or two (written Aug 22 / 2013).

7  Thank ctsteve7
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The first two restaurants rated by Tripadvisor in Santa Fe are actually not restaurants...#1 is a candy store, #2 is a coffee shop, so that brings Chris' Cafe restaurant up to #3 out of 440 restaurants in Santa Fe. Santa Fe has been rated by Rand McNally Road Atlas as the NUMBER ONE restaurant city in the USA. Our experience of this restaurant makes me wonder who/what/when gives this small casual cafe such an incredible rating. Let's get serious. Tripadvisor is a website to help people traveling make wise decisions on selections for restaurants when traveling.

After reading such incredible reviews, we made it a point to have breakfast at Chris' before heading toward I-40 at the end of our brief stay in Santa Fe. We were greeted warmly by the server. I told her that I was a vegetarian and would like to try something that was representative of the area. I suggested she add items to my burrito that would be representative. I asked her if I could have both green and red sauce. She was very obliging, telling me that the chili was vegetarian, as well as the burrito, which it was. BUT, the chili was just plain pinto beans, the green sauce was hot but not flavorful, as I would think it should be at a highly recommended restaurant. I didn't get the red sauce to sample, and since the restaurant became busy, I didn't ask for it. My husband's egg dish was fine, nothing special, according to him. To be rated in this category, one would think the morning coffee would be something worth drinking, but it was not. I had decaf freshly brewed, but it was just OK, not great...my husband's regular coffee was bitter. He ordered a side of tortillas with his breakfast, which he did not get.

The food was not bad, just not great. We felt that something was missing...maybe a warm basket of corn bread, or something that sparked our interest while we waited for our breakfast. We didn't leave hungry, but for certain, we did not leave amazed. We were not in Santa Fe long enough to try and compare other restaurants as we normally enjoy doing, so I don't have a clue on the quality of restaurants rated lower than Chris' Cafe. Average, yes. Great, no.

3  Thank travelingforfun38
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Tried Chris's last year as a local haunt definitely give it 5 stars for value food service. Came back this year with high expectations. Was not disappointed highly recommended give them a try...I will be back next year to try it again I'm sure it'll be good.

7  Thank Johnny2525