“No better New Mexican breakfast and lunch in Santa Fe.”
Review of Chris' Cafe - CLOSED

Chris' Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Our cafe is located across the street from the Hampton Inn. Look for "The Lofts" sign, or, just look for a wall of yellow Penske trucks. We're behind that wall!
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was brought to Chris' by my friend Bill, who supplies them with his unique Red Chile/South African tea. Since that first visit, I have been a very happy customer on a half dozen occasions.
They stick with the basics, Huevos Rancheros, Chicken Enchiladas, Pork Adovada,, and Green Chile Cheeseburgers. If you are looking for a more adventurous side of New Mexican cooking, best keep looking.
However, if what you want is the ultimate in these traditional choices, grab a chair. The freshness of the food, quality of the ingredients, the generous portions, the laid back atmosphere, and the easy parking make Chris' Cafe my current favorite New Mexico breakfast and lunch spot among a number of top contenders...La Choza/Shed, Guadalupe Cafe, Atriscos, Tecalote, Tia Sophia's, Tortilla Flats to name a few.
What is special: the potatoes! the green chile, the cheese, and, well, everything I have had.
My hat's off to Chris and the whole staff (both of them!).

7  Thank L T
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

L T, what a great review of our place. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm glad to know that the hard work is showing. Your review highlighted the points we've been trying to get across. Fresh ingredients, laid back atmosphere, and just a fun time here at the cafe. Larry and I are working hard on developing new dish concepts, so, keep an eye out. This will be happening soon. Look forward to your next visit, L T!

There are newer reviews for Chris' Cafe

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Awesome food, friendly staff. Had the green chile huevos rancheros and my friend had carne adovada burrito. Both were very big portions. The green chile is milder than the red chile.... Will definitely go again.

7  Thank Loretta T
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Loretta T, thanks for taking the time to review our little cafe. We appreciate all responses. It helps us improve on what we're trying to do. I hope to see you and your friend here at the cafe again soon. Again, thank you for your review and patronage.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had read a review on Chris' Cafe in the ABQ Journal and sounded like a place to try when in Santa Fe. We spied it from Cerrillos Rd tucked into a small shopping center area called The Lofts - look for a lot of Penske trucks in the parking lot. With 7 tables it is not a big place but everyone was so friendly and inviting. Though tempted to each get a breakfast as everything sounded so good, we refrained and shared the Bario omelette. Filled with bacon, onion, cheese and mushrooms and smothered in red chile (green and Christmas also available) my husband said it came very close to how I make omelletes - no small compliment to the chef! The fried potatoes were very well done and tasty - especially useful to sop up that red chile! Toast or tortilla also came with the meal. Chris came out of the kitchen to say hello and thank us for stopping by! How many places do that anymore! A real neighborhood sort of feel and I wish I went to Santa Fe more often!

6  Thank ABQJane
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you so much, ABQJane. You're review was one of the best we've had, and coming from a Senior Contributor, it means even more. We do work diligently to maintain a level of quality in our kitchen. Because of our size, we're able to work with smaller batches to maintain freshness too. I hope to see you again real soon, and again, thank you.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went to Chris' for the first time this past week and had a great meal. Friendly staff that was willing to fill me in on local tips. Great food and extremely generous portions--I had breakfast at 10:30 and couldn't eat again until 7pm that night. Plenty of vegetarian options, I'll be back to try the eggs florentine! Location is a little tricky since it sets back from the road but those staying at the Hampton on Cerrillos and wanting something besides the standard chain hotel breakfast should definitely dash across the street for a real breakfast!

6  Thank J C
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thank you, J C, for a great review. Your mention of our portion size is one thing that we're trying to get out there. We're a working person friendly place. Big portions, small prices ( For Santa Fe, which has the highest minimum wage in the nation, we are cheap!), and quality that exceeds most. If your ever in town again, come back and say "hi".

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to Chis' for Sunday Lunch today and were surprised by the delicious food. It is a small Cafe on Cerrillos that is easy to miss but worth finding. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the green enchiladas were excellent. Heard great reviews on their breakfast menu look forward to going back for breakfast soon.

8  Thank sfemerys

Sfemerys, thank you for a great review. I'm glad you found us, which is the hard part. We're hoping that once you find us, you'll continue to come back. We look forward to cooking for you again, and yes, our breakfast is great!!.