“Gorgeous Hotel with Excellent Service”

Inn of the Five Graces
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed March 25, 2007

My husband and I just stayed at the Inn of the Five Graces for 4 nights and it was delightful. Typically we look for the more modern chic boutique hotels, but we had attended a wedding here a few years ago and heard great things about it so we gave it a try.

It is a gorgeous property - just a few blocks from the plaza, but far enough away for comfortable privacy. We stayed in room 23. The furnishings and decor were rustic chic - amazing antiques from Tibet as well as columns and architectural details that you just don't see very often. The bathroom was a perfect size, with both a jacuzzi tub and a large glass-doored shower, and plenty of counterspace and shelves. The most impressive detail was the mosaic tilework in the bathroom. The robes they supplied were the most comfortable robes my husband and I have ever experienced. The bed was amazing. A huge king-size with a feather bed on top. We truly enjoyed the corner fireplace which was set up for us every evening when we got back to the room.

Like other have said, the Inn is a non-tipping establishment, but there is a 10% service charge per day added to your bill. We really thought that we got our money's worth. The service was impeccable. The staff went out of their way to make us feel special. I felt guilty not tipping them! The breakfasts were a perfect start to the day - great quality food and selection. The refrigerator was full of goodies, and I am told that if you really have a hankering for something to let them know and you might be pleasantly surprised to find it the next day in your room. The cookies and the dreamcatcher at bedtime was a wonderful surprise.

We definitely will stay at the Inn of the Five Graces again. The details are what matters, and they do it very well.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Imorgana

Reviewed March 18, 2007

I stayed at The Inn of Five Graces twice in the last six weeks, first in an upstairs, one bedroom suite and then in a downstairs room with a queen bed. I am familiar with most ofthe comments on this website regarding the smallness of the baths, etc. but please keep in mind: This place is REALLY old and totally authentic and the staff has done a wonderful job of bringing out the best of these historic buildings!

I found the staff to be friendly and fabulous, knowlegeable and competent. The beds were high-quality and turn-down service (with cookies, a dreamcatcher and a lovely note) was impeccable, they always remembered to ask which time would work for ME. Breakfast is elaborate and yummy, the kitchen staff will prepare anything you could possibly ask for. You can't beat the location: I never used my car, but walked to every restaurant and gallery and museum.

I have been coming to Santa Fe for about ten years on business and I feel that there is no other place that can compare to The Inn of Five Graces - it is the essence of Santa Fe and the service goes way beyond anything that I could ever expect in a small boutique hotel.

Stayed: February 2007
9  Thank lagordita
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We knew we had booked the right place from the start. The delightful service over the phone and length that the property manager went to meet our needs. We arrived at the Inn to be greeted warmly and shown to our decadent suite with margarita and chips and salsa waiting to greet us in the full kitchen. We stayed in room number 3, it was perfect! The cozy wood burning fireplace. The bed is so decadent, it was very hard to remove ourselves from it in the morning. The refridge is stocked with water, wine and all the snacks you could ever want, all included in your rate+svc. charge. The only thing we thought could have been different- maybe some wall sconces over the couch for better reading light at night. Also, the very cool looking windows in the bedroom look out into the hallway, but even with the shutters closed you could hear any conversation etc. in the hallway. The bathroom is quite small in this suite but the shower is wonderful! The staff were all very enthusiastic about helping us plan our days of hiking and eating the tasty Santa Fe food. Speaking of that, the breakfast here which is included is awesome! You may choose continental or cooked to order, the huevos rancheros is delicious. We also had lunch here and enjoyed the chicken paillard and chocolate dessert. You really cannot go wrong here. We will definitely be returning. We have stayed in some wonderful boutique lodgings around the world and we will include Inn at Five Graces in our list of the best!!!!

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank TravelFiend-7
Reviewed January 1, 2007

I have stayed at the La Posada, the Inn of Loretto and just fell into this hotel because it was the only hotel Amex could get me for New Years. What an amazing find! The rooms are so ecclectic and unique - you can tell there was a major effort in designing every aspect of the room. When we arrived in the room there were margaritas, chips and salsa waiting. Also, there was pate, bri cheese, and a huge assortment of drinks and snacks available in the kitchen for FREE - that's right, no charges whatsover. This is a non-tipping hotel as well, so you will not be spending any additional money except for the room rate. The continental breakfast is great and is served in a charming setting. My wife and I absolutely loved this hotel and plan on renting the house (yes, there is a house you can rent) this summer with other family members. We stayed in a suite with a family room, kitchen and bedroom - the feather bed and overall bedding was so comfortable. The service was awesome too !

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rigg
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We stayed at the Inn of Five Graces for 3 nights early Nov. 2006. As usual I found it on Trip Advisor and confirmed my selection in various travel books and magazines. I do alot of research. While not quite as exotic as some of the pictures (depends on room) the accommodations were very nice and comfortable (with addition of space heaters in bedroom). We stayed in the Stone House section and I did have a chance to look at some of the rooms on the side nearest to the office (property straddles a non busy street). Room 24 really looked nice and had the large mosaic tiled bathroom I was hoping for. Room descriptions vary greatly as well as price. The hotel is spread out in a maze like fashion in a very historical area of Santa Fe. Just walking around the grounds is fascinating many old pieces of furniture, fountains etc. collected by previous owner. I found all extra charges noted clearly in advance of arrival no surprises. I booked directly with hotel and received a prompt reply to all inquiries. We did take the walking tour with the manager Niall and it was very informative. All staff at the hotel were excellent and responsive to any need. I called and booked a different restaurant for each night based on Laura's recommendations and they were all excellent. The manager Niall is ALWAYS there and is hands on with everything going on at the hotel. He really keeps everything on track. Breakfast is served in a small room (probably needs to be enlarged) and is buffet or a la carte with daily specials. It is very good. Did not like the communal table situation we encountered on first day....very nice guests; however do not like to chat first thing in the morning and no other option. The next two mornings we did manage a table to ourselves but you sort of feel guilty! I think that should be changed. Have one for those that might like it and some other options. This was the perfect choice for us as the historical street and old buildings of the hotel made you feel you were very far away....this hotel would not be for those that really like really modern places and no glitches. Walking distance to most things for those that like to walk but after dark we preferred taxis. Would love to return again. Lots of plans for renovating some rooms and enlarging bathrooms etc. in those with small ones. Pick your room carefully so you understand what you are booking as they do vary greatly.

• Stayed: November 2006
7  Thank gene
Reviewed November 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Inn of the Five Graces at the end of October 2006. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would stay there again without hesitation.

Before I extoll the virues of this B&B, I’d like to clarify some information that others have posted regarding the Inn. Many people have posted comments about the “hidden” fees that the hotel charges per night. Although I cannot discredit other people’s experiences relating to this topic, I can divulge my own dealings with the hotel. In my experience, these charges were in no way hidden. When I called to make our reservation, I was told up front about each additional tax. Furthermore, I received a letter in the mail within a week confirming our reservation and detailing these charges. My guess is that most people do not take the time to figure out how much these taxes will add to their nightly room rate and are staggered when they receive their final bill. This, however, is the not the fault of the hotel. So that everyone is on the same page, let me detail the charges to which I am referring. First of all, the hotel does charge a 10% service charge per night. This charge covers such amenities as breakfast, parking, stocked refrigerator, daily walking tour of Santa Fe, daily cocktails and the fact that it is a non-tipping establishment. In addition, there is a 7% hotel tax which hotels everywhere charge, and the New Mexico sales tax which weighs in at 7.5625%. When you add all these taxes together you get 24.5625% added to your bill each night. Just to give you an example of how much this adds to your bill: the base rate for our room was $388/night. The approx. 25% in taxes added a whopping $95 to our bill each night for a grand total of $483 per night. However, we read the information the hotel sent us and were prepared for the total cost of the room. My suggestion would be that you have a calculator handy when you make your reservation. You can do a quick calculation and see exactly what your room rate will be after taxes. Then you can make an informed decision about which room will fit your budget.

Now to the good stuff. My husband and I stayed in Room #23 (designated as a full suite on the website). While it was one of the smaller rooms, we chose it for the separate shower and jacuzzi. The room was decorated with lots of carved wood accents, antiques and Native American rugs. The bathroom was quite large and was covered in gorgeous tilework. The room was on the ground floor and was very quiet and private. The room also had a stocked mini-fridge. It was full of sodas, water, granola bars, cheeses and candy bars. The fridge was complimentary (part of that 10% service fee), so you could eat as little or as much as you wanted. It was re-stocked daily when the room was cleaned. Turndown service included fresh baked cookies and a dreamcatcher on your pillow to promote a good night’s sleep. The trash cans were emptied again and any dirty towels were removed and replaced with fresh linen.

Breakfast was excellent. There was a continental buffet with fresh fruit, bagels, artisan breads, yogurt, juices, cofee and tea. There was also a chef available to cook you any hot item that you would like. There was a host who took your order and made sure your coffee cup stayed hot and full. He even learned our first names and food/drink preferences.

The best part of the experience was the stellar customer service. Whether it was the welcome we received complete with fresh chips, salsa and a carafe of margaritas or the small daily courtesies (directions, reservations, a smiling face asking us how the room was and what they could do to make our stay more enjoyable), it was evident that the top priority of each and every staff member was to make our experience as memorable and as exceptional as possible. No doubt that we would grace the Inn of the Five Graces with our presence if ever in Santa Fe again!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank travelnut2000
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Our third visit to Santa Fe, and second time at Inn of Five Graces.
1. Great ,close to downtown location, BUT, be prepared not to sleep soundly as the next door government building picks up it's garbage at 3AM...2 nights in a row.
2. Understand exactly what kind of room you will be staying in...they are all very different in one way or another...I've seen four of them to date. Some have tiny baths, beds too big for the room...ie. crowded, wood burning OR gas fireplaces...the gas ones looked like a cheap afterthought.
3. Fairly dark in all the rooms I have stayed in, not only inconvient, but makes you question the cleanliness....ie. found mold on bathtiles.
4. I wish the owners would spend a night or two in each room to understand these issues.
5. Staff and breakfast were great.
6. Way too expensive for what you get...knowing what I now know of the Graces I'd have a hard time paying $300 per night. I am always willing to pay top dollar for a great hotel. Unfortunately, I do not think a true luxury hotel exists in Santa Fe...heard that from a 15 year local resident.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple