“Zen in the mountains”

Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Abilene Texas
“Zen in the mountains”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Bishop's Lodge is in a beautiful setting. The view of the mountins is incredible, only minutes away from Santa Fe. The rooms are quite luxurious, the amenities were very nice. We were able to enjoy the Spa, I had the custom massage, incredibly relaxing! The pricing is a little steep ($245 for an hour forty minute massage, not including gratuity) . The catering staff was very attentive, and the entire staff was very welcoming. The only glitch was the length of time it took to get service in the restaurant or room service. These areas seemed to be a little understaffed, so often the food was somewhat cold, although beautifully presented.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank igelheim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Seattle
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Having stayed at Bishops Lodge 20 years ago, its clear my memory is fading.
We had a fairly nice room, a beautiful view from the deck, but had to walk up a twisted flight of stairs to get there. Upon check in I learned of the $14.50 per adult resort fee... and that the stables were closed (one of the main reason I booked the resort - so that my daughter could go horseback riding).
The room safe didn't work. The coffee maker leaked. The TV reception was horrible (not a great thing for an 8-year old on a rainy night)!
The next morning we were the only ones in the pool - which is plenty big and well within walking distance of our room.
Upon check out I learned I was double charged the resort fee and had to bring it to the desk clerk's attention. Additionally there wasn't a bellhop to be found to carry our bags down the stairs and out to the car.
Overall, it is a beautiful "destination" location. There are other hotels much closer to the plaza that are less expensive and have rooms that are just as nice.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — the resort fee (shouldn't it be incuded in the price when half the activities aren't available)?
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank SeattleNMNative
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I wish I could write a review that is favorable to this resort. But it wasn't. We checked in with great expectations. We purchased our stay through Priceline.com. We assumed that all the fees were included in our bid. However, we soon came to find out that we were not made aware of the "resort fees" which were around $30.00 a day for the two of us. We stayed 2 days so we were dinged with an additional $60.00, plus tax. In that "resort fee" we were supposidly entitled to salsa and chips in our room, on a daily basis, free internet, a news paper delivered to our door and rides to town on their shuttle. Plus so many other things that we never took advantage of for one reason or another. We took advantage of the shuttle into town and the free internet. We did not have the newspaper delivered to our door in the am as promised,On the day we were checking out we did get a newspaper, nor did we ever see salsa or chips in our room during our entire stay. I mentioned this to the front desk, and their response was. "Oh they didn't leave the chips or salsa? Do you still want them? I responded yes we want them. They were never delivered to our room. Decaf coffee was provided in our room and I had to request regular coffee. Decaf is nice after a meal in the evening time, but we prefer regular coffee in the am. We requested a king size bed prior to checking in , and they put two twin beds side by side. It was easy to see that it was not a king, when one bed was about 2 inches shorter in height than the other. We sat on our patio, yes we did have a patio, it overlooked the roof of the building we were staying in. The part of the resort we stayed in was old. I suggest that if anyone plans a visit to this resort they find out about all the extra resort fees prior to your arrival. Look the room over and if not to your expectations request another room.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — the response of the front desk and housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank tulefogg
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Every time I visit Santa Fe - I’m struck by its beauty. Bishop’s Lodge is a great place to enjoy it. The location is lovely and the buildings are very picturesque. I only stayed one night and was in Santa Fe for a work trip – so I didn’t have time to take advantage of the available perks (i.e. spa, horse back riding, yoga, tennis, etc.). There was free, fast internet which is always nice.

The one thing I had a problem with was the staff. It felt like the place was under new management or had just hired all new staff. I checked in a 5pm and my room wasn’t ready yet. The girl at the front desk was very pleasant, but a little casual with her questions and check-in procedure. Also, as I was checking in I overheard 2 other guests complain they had not received what they had expected.

In the restaurant I overheard the manager reprimand his staff in front of guests – which I thought was unprofessional and left me feeling uncomfortable. I also witnessed a guest on the outside patio come inside to pay her bill because she had been forgotten. I had a similar feeling of neglect in the bar area – but was busy doing work so didn’t mind too much.

When I went to make coffee the next morning there was only decaf available in the room. When I called the front desk to get regular they were quick to accommodate – but brought me actual, loose coffee grounds and a filter rather than those prepackaged baggies. When I returned to my room after breakfast someone had left me more coffee bags.

So – for the most part, everyone was very sweet and pleasant, it just felt a little off. I would still recommend a stay there. It’s better as a romantic weekend rather than a place to stay for a work trip!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
2 Thank Smitty2008
Stamford, CT
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at Bishop’s Lodge for 10 days in July to help run a conference and then stayed on for some r&r. In those 10 days I experienced the gamut of Bishop’s Lodge Resort…from their conference services to their spa.
The kitchen served up some outstanding meals; the kids program was just too good…our kids were so well entertained and taken care of that they didn’t want to come home; there are more activities to keep you busy and relaxed than you have time for: a pool, spa (try the hot stone massage --it will cure whatever ails you), tennis courts with two fantastic pros, horse stables, exercise studio and even skeet shooting. The main conference room – the Tesuque Pavilion – is unlike any other … even though you are in a meeting room, the size, the decorations and the doors that open to a patio… let you know that you are still in Santa Fe and not a windowless 14th floor office complex. The rooms are clean and spacious---all with doors that lead to a deck where you can savour the stillness and beauty of the mountains.
The staff was, without exception, accommodating, courteous and very responsive to our every request.
This wouldn’t be a real review if I didn’t mention some of the “negatives”…I did notice that some of the stone walkways could use a repair and I did notice that some of the cottonwood trees could use a tree doctor and I did notice that although very clean, some of the rooms could use a little updating. But I wouldn’t trade the atmosphere, the setting, the ambiance and the incredible service that Bishop’s Lodge offers. Go there again? In a heartbeat.

• Liked — The setting
3 Thank LS08CT
Artesia NM
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My very first stay at the Lodge was for a two day busiess meeting, and from that experience, I hope to be able to stay there again. The staff was most attentive, considerate and helpful. Surroundings and setting are amazing. The rooms are very large and have a warm and inviting feeling. Of course I love the Southwest style, so the decor was perfect. Everything was spotless. Only complaint would be , just didn't have enough time to enjoy everything that was available; hence the need for a return trip.

• Liked — Location, setting, quiet, something for everyone.
  • Disliked — not enough time to take avantage of what is offered.
2 Thank south285
Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed July 10, 2008

What a beautiful setting with lovely landscaping and walkways.
Room is spacious and in a lovely setting. Kiva fireplace sets a wonderful ambiance.
Staff is always friendly and helpful.
Meeting rooms provided great setting for our meetings.

Would love to return for a stay with my family.

3 Thank KLCBLasCruces_NM