“Awesome Resort Experience!!”

Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Norman, Oklahoma
“Awesome Resort Experience!!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I loved, loved, loved Bishop's Lodge! We were there for 4 nights in May and had a fabulous, relaxing and zen like stay. Our room was up the mountain with spectacular views. It was huge, extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated in the Santa Fe style with a functioning Kiva fireplace in the corner.

We walked to breakfast every morning, past the original chapel (which dates back to the 1800's), while taking in the wildflowers, birds, deer and beautiful Santa Fe scenery. Did I forget to mention that the resort backs up to the National Forest so if hiking is your passion wonderful trails that provide amazing vistas are just outside of your doorstep.

We ate delicious breakfasts at the resort restaurant on the patio where we enjoyed the ambiance including music, a wind sculpture garden and beautiful views of the mountains and the pool. Had one amazing dinner there as well.

The resort is literally 5 minutes to the square where great restaurants and shopping abound and although you are so close you really feel like you are away from everything when you are at Bishops Lodge - which is exactly how I like to vacation.

I would and do recommend this resort to everyone - I have been traveling to Santa Fe regularly for over 20 years and this is the best experience I have had! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the renovated rooms up the mountain for beautiful views!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cap62_09
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I must first thank you for taking the time to review your time at Bishop’s Lodge. I’m thrilled you had the opportunity to experience all that our resort has to offer and I look forward to passing kudos along to our “first rate” staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoy visiting Santa Fe, NM at least once a year. When we found Bishops Lodge we fell in love even more with the area. The resort is family friendly. There is alway a game of croquet, ping pong or badminton being played. The pool is full and everybody is happy. It is away from Santa Fe but not too far. Perfect distance. The only drawback we had was at the restaurant. They took forever. They ended up crediting the meal. My husband rode a horse for the first time at the Lodge and really enjoyed himself. The wrangler was knowledgeable and explained everything on what to expect and what to do while riding. If you want to visit Santa Fe but are afraid it's too adult oriented this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with your room they will make every effort to get you a room you enjoy. (M...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CMcDon
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I went to ride at their stables and was very pleased. When calling prior, everyone I spoke to was quite friendly and informative.

Upon arrival I was greeted warmly by just about the most beautiful wrangler a cowboy has ever seen. I was assigned a "Prince" of a horse and had a lovely ride through the hillside.

The animals appeared well cared for, I would highly recommend riding with them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank john b
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Not happy. Not happy. Not happy. Not happy. $200/night stay. AC problems in our 'superior' room EVERY NIGHT.
3 days of complaints and temporary relief but then it returned every night.

Kept it at 67 last night. Nice and cool UNTIL 2 am and then we were sleeping on top of the sheets. For this much money?
Nah!!!

No apologies from management on our AC problems. Not even a call. Heck, we get those type calls from La Quinta and Best Western hotels whenever there is a problem of some sort.

Dining room was nice but with snobby and slow waiter. We had previously seen menu and asked as to burgers and such and he smirked "that's the bar menu" and left to get menus. We had arrived after dark at 7:15 pm or so and just wanted a snack and not $24 fish plate. Older bar menu waitress was VERY nice and helpful.

We needed ice for trip and had to drive about 80 yards down to 'ice shed' to discover that IT was out of service. If you need ice for room you have to drive to 'ice shed'. Nothing close to our 'superior' (higher elevation) rooms.

We have three little dogs and like to keep environment clean by picking up their poop in poop bags. Well, no trash cans anywhere to drop them at or in our room. (Not.).

No wonder other guests let their animals' lie where it drops.
For pet owners, NO grass around except in front by pool/ spa area.
Otherwise, dogs have to poop on trail. We don't like to do that.

Pretty surroundings and nice trails but no mountain views to be has EXCEPT from the top if our small/cozy 3 car parking area.
We paid for a mountain view and got TREES. Pretty setting but not at $200/night with no mountains. Now, on our drive up from Santa Fe we saw some mountains an that was free.

No concern on management's part until we addressed it for the final time on checkout.

Never coming back. Waste of hard earned money.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Mikerey01
We are sorry you did not like our authentic Santa Fe experience. Most guest take advantage of our amenities that we have to offer on the resort like horseback riding, pony rides, free mountain biking, hiking trails, drumming circle, badminton, croquet, volleyball, kids camps, horse shoes, award winning Sha Nah Spa and our amazing wonderful one of a kind pool side.

What we provide is an authentic resort setting that differs from any hotel downtown. We hope that during your next stay in Santa Fe we maybe able to change your perception. Thank you for staying with us.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We really enjoyed the space at Bishop's Lodge. All the rooms have a porch area, and are spaced away from one another so you never feel crowded. Watching the sunset over the hills was especially nice.

The lodge offers a shuttle into town, so accessibility is no issue.

Great pool, you can visit/feed the very friendly horses and arrange to ride them as well. The restaurant is good, but I recommend going into town for drinks or dessert (dessert menu was disappointing).

Room Tip: I recommend asking to be further from the main lodge. This will give you more privacy and put you fu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Compassrosa
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Bishop's Lodge.
We greatly appreciate it. We've created a new menu & deserts for your review on our website. Thanks for your suggestions.
Lone Tree, CO
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed our annual trip to Santa Fe every year for the last five years and this time, we decided to venture outside of the Plaza area and try the Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa. We purchased a Groupon deal that featured the same photos that are used to promote the property on all of their websites, but learned, of course after our stay when checking out, that if you purchase an online deal through a source like Groupon, you most likely will never be put in one of their nicer, more recently renovated rooms. While our room was livable, the TV reception was non-existent, the air conditioning was unreliable, one of the sinks in the bathroom sprayed water everywhere, the water temperature in the shower was scalding hot and I couldn't take a shower for 10 minutes waiting for it to cool down, and the bed was quite uncomfortable.

When we checked in, I went back to the front desk and was told they were booked and sold out but I would be first on the waiting list for a new room when possible. When checking out, the manager at the time told me they could have moved me for at least our last night there, but I was never called which I was told I would be. Lastly, beware on deal sites of the resort fee. Our Groupon deal said it would be $14.50 per day and when I got the bill at checkout it was $29/day. The manager told me it should be $14.50 per person, per day and they were kind enough to adjust it when it was brought to their attention.

I would like to have given this a better review, but our room quality and comfort was definitely poor. Will not be returning and will probably book a Plaza hotel on our trip next year.

Room Tip: Do not purchase on Groupon and expect to get the rooms that are shown in photographs. The front desk...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Beth B

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just returned from my second stay at Bishop's Lodge.
It is a beautiful resort that is just a short drive from the Plaza.
We needed a handicap room and were very pleased with the size of the room and bathroom.
If you are looking for something sleek and modern...this is not the place.
But if you want something 'off the beaten path', then you will love this resort.
We did not take advantage of the horseback riding or some of the other things available, but I saw a large group of riders heading out early one morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family