“Lovely”

and 1 more site!
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Got a special on travelzoo. This hotel is beautiful, in a great location, and very relaxing. The spa products smell amazing.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank roundtheworld077

Reviewed May 29, 2008

I got an exceptional deal on a room ($97) from an on-line booking agent, and, for that, the room in the Chimera Lodge was an exceptional deal. Clean, large, gas fireplace, everything relatively new, and worked well. All in a very beautiful setting. I was not excited about the $29 resort fee I was charged on top of the room rate, however. I only ate one breakfast at the restaurant and ordered off the menu. I thought it was very good.

Parking can be a bit of a pain if there's an event going on, as when I was there (large wedding).

Would I pay the $300-$400 rack rate for the room? Naaaah, but if you can get it at the right price, I think it is a value.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank JoeTraveler999
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Leaky ceilings, broken chairs, and staff that does not understand English, are not hallmarks of luxury resort hospitality. BTW, 24 hour security does not exist on this property. A member of the staff felt compelled to tell me so.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank robar66389
Reviewed April 28, 2008

OK, both my fifteen year old daughter and I are puzzled by the bad reviews we have seen here. We have been coming to the Bishop's Lodge for years. I am writing this review now in my suite there overlooking grazing horses in a paddock, a fire in my kiva fireplace and the remnants of this mornings breakfast are surrounding me. My room is so wonderfully spacious, clean and exceptionally well decorated.
The staff here were very helpful, and could not be more friendly.

I smell the sage from the surrounding hills, I am relaxed, happy and relishing the next time my life allows me to make tracks here again.

We have stayed at other places, historic wonderful places in Santa Fe, and while they were all lovely, Bishop's Lodge has unquestionably surpassed them all.
I am honestly baffled by the negative reviews here. I for one enjoy a margarita by the kiva fireplace on the outdoor patio overlooking the hills of Tesuque.

Stayed: April 2008
5  Thank beekind
Reviewed April 24, 2008

This hotel was quite a surprise for me. The website made it look dirty & dingy and I'm a total clean freak. But....my company was having meetings there so I didn't have a choice. The rooms were huge & the food was good. The meeting breaks were great! At one point they had a man made-up like a pineapple with his head through the edge of the table. You heard someone talking to you but didn't know where it was coming from - everyone really got a kick out of it.

My one complaint would be that a lot of the staff didn't speak English. They did a good job but weren't overly friendly. Not rude just not the smiling, fun type.

• Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank OSUjules
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We've waited since our October 2007 visit to Bishop's Lodge to see TA reviews. Our experience last fall has been confirmed by others: Bishop's Lodge is totally overpriced, poorly managed, with ageing rooms, smelly fireplaces, lack of maintenance, and overall, a staff that falls woefully short because a service culture does not exist. Upon arrival, as we exited our car and began removing our luggage, the bellman, staring at us while leaning on a doorjam at the front door, didn't move toward us or help us until WE carried our obviously 4 heavy bags up the front steps to lobby level. We changed rooms twice the first day. Both reeked of smoke from inefficient fireplaces. Walking to the third room with a bellman, we tripped on the crumbling cement walkway surface, my wife turning an ankle. "We had a rough winter back in 2006," the bellman explained. Curious. That was some 6-8 months ago. Returning to our room at night, the walk became a minefield. We chose to navigate the grass. The restaurant is to be avoided. Breakfast is slow, overpriced, short on staff, and waiters never look at you or come back. The kitchen can't produce fast enough, and the buffet is a mess. After a day trip, we passed by the dining room reception stand and asked the young hostess there what time the restaurant closed for dinner. "I don't know," she said. Incredulous, and to give her the benefit, we asked again, only to get the same answer. No, she did not attempt to find out, just stared ahead. Oh my. Further, the entire main floor of the hotel, serving the bar, lounge and main dining room, has but one small restroom (1 mens and 1 womens). Incredible, as was a shade covering a large picture window in our room. Rather than a typical fabric shade or drape, the hotel had STAPLED -- yes stapled -- a large piece of PAPER over the window. The room key did not work twice, and we had to walk some distance to get another (not being able to get in the room to call). The Lodge's website boasts "luxurious lodging," but this is a myth, at least the 3 rooms we saw. Most notable was a total lack of front desk leadership. It is always comforting to know there is someone in charge, someone with competence to get things done correctly. But here, only poorly informed and argumentative people at the front desk, projecting the feeling that they did not want us to approach. Over 5 days, we saw no one who resembled a senior person who was ever present to take charge and make things happen, just unprepared staff -- unsure, hesitant, unempowered. I would not stay here again for free. Enough already; you get the picture.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ambleside89
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I wish I could tell you how wonderful the Bishop's Lodge was for us on our honeymoon, but in this case I cannot. As a mid-grade officer in the military my wife and I planned a wonderful escape in Santa Fe after our wedding in Seattle. I was scheduled to deploy one week after the honeymoon so this was a very special time. We booked our reservation directly with the lodge well in advance and were assured of a wonderful room. However, shorlty before our wedding date we were informed that we had be "bumped" by a party who rented the entire resort after we had made our reservation. They now had no room for us, sorry. Much "heartfelt" appologies from the general manager. They were more than happy to book us into another motel in Santa Fe. Great.... I'd just like to thank the staff and owners for this inconsiderate gesture. I'd also like to warn all the folks out there who think they have "reservations", especially the newlyweds and military personnel traveling from afar, that you might want to have a back-up plan. This kind of business practice in the hospitality industry is unacceptable.

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled as a couple