“Surprise”

and 1 more site!
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #43 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed April 24, 2008

This hotel was quite a surprise for me. The website made it look dirty & dingy and I'm a total clean freak. But....my company was having meetings there so I didn't have a choice. The rooms were huge & the food was good. The meeting breaks were great! At one point they had a man made-up like a pineapple with his head through the edge of the table. You heard someone talking to you but didn't know where it was coming from - everyone really got a kick out of it.

My one complaint would be that a lot of the staff didn't speak English. They did a good job but weren't overly friendly. Not rude just not the smiling, fun type.

• Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank OSUjules

Reviewed April 14, 2008

We've waited since our October 2007 visit to Bishop's Lodge to see TA reviews. Our experience last fall has been confirmed by others: Bishop's Lodge is totally overpriced, poorly managed, with ageing rooms, smelly fireplaces, lack of maintenance, and overall, a staff that falls woefully short because a service culture does not exist. Upon arrival, as we exited our car and began removing our luggage, the bellman, staring at us while leaning on a doorjam at the front door, didn't move toward us or help us until WE carried our obviously 4 heavy bags up the front steps to lobby level. We changed rooms twice the first day. Both reeked of smoke from inefficient fireplaces. Walking to the third room with a bellman, we tripped on the crumbling cement walkway surface, my wife turning an ankle. "We had a rough winter back in 2006," the bellman explained. Curious. That was some 6-8 months ago. Returning to our room at night, the walk became a minefield. We chose to navigate the grass. The restaurant is to be avoided. Breakfast is slow, overpriced, short on staff, and waiters never look at you or come back. The kitchen can't produce fast enough, and the buffet is a mess. After a day trip, we passed by the dining room reception stand and asked the young hostess there what time the restaurant closed for dinner. "I don't know," she said. Incredulous, and to give her the benefit, we asked again, only to get the same answer. No, she did not attempt to find out, just stared ahead. Oh my. Further, the entire main floor of the hotel, serving the bar, lounge and main dining room, has but one small restroom (1 mens and 1 womens). Incredible, as was a shade covering a large picture window in our room. Rather than a typical fabric shade or drape, the hotel had STAPLED -- yes stapled -- a large piece of PAPER over the window. The room key did not work twice, and we had to walk some distance to get another (not being able to get in the room to call). The Lodge's website boasts "luxurious lodging," but this is a myth, at least the 3 rooms we saw. Most notable was a total lack of front desk leadership. It is always comforting to know there is someone in charge, someone with competence to get things done correctly. But here, only poorly informed and argumentative people at the front desk, projecting the feeling that they did not want us to approach. Over 5 days, we saw no one who resembled a senior person who was ever present to take charge and make things happen, just unprepared staff -- unsure, hesitant, unempowered. I would not stay here again for free. Enough already; you get the picture.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ambleside89
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I wish I could tell you how wonderful the Bishop's Lodge was for us on our honeymoon, but in this case I cannot. As a mid-grade officer in the military my wife and I planned a wonderful escape in Santa Fe after our wedding in Seattle. I was scheduled to deploy one week after the honeymoon so this was a very special time. We booked our reservation directly with the lodge well in advance and were assured of a wonderful room. However, shorlty before our wedding date we were informed that we had be "bumped" by a party who rented the entire resort after we had made our reservation. They now had no room for us, sorry. Much "heartfelt" appologies from the general manager. They were more than happy to book us into another motel in Santa Fe. Great.... I'd just like to thank the staff and owners for this inconsiderate gesture. I'd also like to warn all the folks out there who think they have "reservations", especially the newlyweds and military personnel traveling from afar, that you might want to have a back-up plan. This kind of business practice in the hospitality industry is unacceptable.

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Surfman69
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I was nervous about staying at the Bishops Lodge and Resort after reading bad reviews for more than an hour on tripadvisor.com. I thought that going and experiencing for myself and taking photos would help others in their decision to stay at the lodge/resort. We paid $180 and were upgraded to a Ridge Deluxe Room. To us, this was a good value, despite some negatives to our stay. Before reading the below, know that I have been to some top resorts in the USA, and I have also been to some not so nice hotels. I travel a lot, and I know a good hotel when I see one. Bishop's Lodge and Resort is above average, but it is not as fabulous as some other historic hotels I've been to in recent years.

We arrived after midnight on a Friday night. There were hardly any cars on the property, but the staff was helpful in guiding us to our room. The exterior of the property is very charming, and the inside of our room was also nice. However, they needed to do some TLC on the tub grout and clean the carpet, It wasn't awful. It just looked like someone dropped a drink on the carpet by the door. The kiva fireplace was a nice touch and made the room extra cozy. The furniture, bed linens, pillows, mattress (yes, I always check under the linens), furniture, TV, robes, etc. were all up-to-date and clean. The hotel could do with investing in some new towels though. There were the extras that finer hotels have like the bathroom scale, robes, free water bottles, coffee pot and mugs, nice bath products, hair dryer, etc. The room overall felt clean, but I could see how some people said that the bathrooms aren't that great. But, I think it is important to remember the resort is in Santa Fe, NM and not in NYC! We were in 253 and the room was handicap accessible so the bathroom was quite large. It truly wasn't a bad room.

Our two biggest annoyances over the weekend were that the toilet kept running, then it would get fixed, and then it would run again! There was also the sound above us of running water or some vent. It could have been anything, but it didn't bother me. It did bother my husband though. The second annoyance was that the resort fee didn't cover anything. They advertise free shuttle into town but the fine print is that it is only scheduled several times daily. When we wanted a ride into town it was $5 per person just to go into twon. It was another $5 to return. What was included in our resort fee was a paper, yoga /pilates classes, etc. Well, we didn't get up for the one class of the day at 8 a.m., and the paper only came on one of the mornings. I think in the summer, the resort fee probably covers a lot more. Of course, at that time of year, you are paying an arm and a leg to stay there. I think if they added a few other small perks the resort fee wouldn't be that bad. I did notice while there that they had live entertainment at night by the restaurant, but we didn't have time on our stay to enjoy the music.

The staff was nice to us. I just wish there had been more of them. The facilities seem DEAD at this time of year. When our keys didn't work to the room, the staff was up to our room within 3 minutes. They were most apologetic. The bar made good, strong drinks at about $9 each. The fireplace by the concierge was nice and cozy. We spent time there the second night before going into town. We also ate breakfast in the restaurant. We had huevos ranchero and oatmeal, and we both enjoyed our meal. Yes, some of the items are a little overpriced, but let's face it, that is any resort these days.

I would be curious to see the place in the summer. I bet it has a whole different feel. It could be pretty fun.

Overall, the resort could be more consistent. They seemed like they wanted to help, but there was just a little something lacking. Would I stay there if the room was more than $225 a night? No! Would I stay there with family - yes! Would I stay there again with my husband - probably not. We would prefer to be closer to town for dinner and other activities. I don't know what the other rooms on the lodge are like but our room wasn't bad, despite a few things needing updates. I hope this review helps!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank foxyroxyfu
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We took our children on our first big family vacation for the week between Christmas and New Year's. The rooms pictured on their website and in their literature are not the rooms that you get. Instead the rooms are old and filthy and haven't been updated in at least 20 years. Their manager's excuse was that is was a "historic" hotel. Our rooms were filled with smoke three nights because the smoke from the fireplace in the room above ours flooded into our rooms so thick that we could barely see or breathe. Not to mention the fact that the smoke alarms never once went off! Our clothes and suitcases were so smoke filled that when we unpacked at home, our entire house smelled of smoke! The property that the lodge is on is beautiful and the restaurant at the main lodge, though extremely pricey, had good food. Unfortunately, that did not out-weigh the misery of our smoke-filled stay. We will not be back.

Stayed: December 2007
5  Thank DisgruntledFamily
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I just spent a night at Bishop's Lodge. Everyone told me that the place was spectacular, but my experience was quite negative.

My room keys did not work. I walked back to reception and got new keys. Could not call them because there is no phone in the lobby of the "North Lodge", and cell phone service was too poor to make a call.

There was not enough hot water to run a comfortable bath, even without running any cold at all.

The entire "North Lodge" smelled of smoke, as did my room. The entire building was shabby, especially the carpeting.

The door to the back porch was very difficult to open. It was stuck, and I scraped my fingers every time I used it.

The bedside alarm clock did not work, and I woke up an hour later than planned.

The room heater was very noisy. And a pipe somewhere in the building or nearby rattled all night long.

The food in the restaurant was ridiculously expensive - for example, $5.00 for a 8-10 oz. glass of orange juice.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank sultankristin
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This place is trading shamelessly on Bishop Lamy's name. The food is awful and extremely expensive (dinner entrees in the $35-40 range). Wait staff is VERY familiar but not very competent. They try to overcharge you every time you turn around - we had to scrutinize the checks for breakfast and dinner, and on checkout they doubled the "facilities fee" - a fee that gets added onto your bill whether you use the spa or not. The rooms are OK but overheated and you can't adjust the thermostat. The water in the shower gets warm but never hot. If you are going to Santa Fe, you are much better off staying in town!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family