“Horseback Riding at The Stables at Bishop's Lodge ~ WORTH EVERY DOLLAR!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #40 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Amarillo, Texas
“Horseback Riding at The Stables at Bishop's Lodge ~ WORTH EVERY DOLLAR!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Wonderful experience for our entire family!! The customer service here is immeasureable and the ride was amazing!! Cowboy Joe, Cowboy Jeff and Lynn were the best you could ask for and the horses were all very well behaved, which made for a wonderful scenic ride. Despite the bad weather we had for our original booking, they made sure to get us in before our stay in Santa Fe was over. Gosh ~ they even loaned us jackets, when we came unprepared!! This is as good as it gets!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank K S
, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I must first thank you for taking the time to review your time at Bishop’s Lodge. I’m thrilled you had the opportunity to experience all that our resort has to offer and I look forward to passing kudos along to our “first rate” staff.

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
tyler tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Before booking I spent hours reviewing TA, mixed reviews had me worried but we took a chance.
I guess there are all types of rooms and we got one of the bad rooms. Old is ok as this is a historic place but there is no reason for the place to be as dirty as it was, the carpet was stained ,the switch plate in the bathroom so bad we had to clean it with germx. Pretty gounds but not worth it when there are so many other top resorts. In the past my favorite has been the Inn at Loretto. we visited Encantado and will probably book there next year. The restaurant is ok. If you can sit outside it is a wonderful view.. The scallops are yummy. Our server was bottom line rude and for the first time in my husbands life he only tipped 15% . Better option for fine dining and great attentative service is The Compound.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank belle53
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience at Bishop’s Lodge. Although we do pride ourselves on providing an authentic New Mexico experience, I completely understand your frustration and we will be looking further into this issue. I encourage you to contact me directly at 505-819-4023 next time you visit Santa Fe so that we can change your perception of Bishop’s Lodge.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was here for a business trip, so I didn't get to take advantage of any of the real "resort" characteristics of the place. But I can say that it was a beautiful hotel, lodge, and property. Looked like a great place to get away for a few days, and only 5 mins from downtown Santa Fe (free shuttles during some hours!).

The room (in Juniper Lodge II) was nice, but rustic and could use a bit of updating. I can see past all of the "charm" aspects, but these two things bugged me the most:
-- The curtains are too long, and hang over the fan of the air conditioner. You have to rig it just right so you can have the curtains closed and the AC on at the same time. A good pair of scissors will fix that in no time. :)
-- Needs better privacy for the doors. The door is all glass, and there are mini-blinds to give privacy. There are gaps, and you can see in through the glass, at an angle, even when the blinds are closed.

The restaurant was very good, though a bit pricey. Not much "traditional" fare on the menu, but the food was still great. If you want traditional, go into town... and I was ok with that.

The staff members were all extremely friendly and helpful, and actually seemed to enjoy their jobs.

I would certainly come back the next time I'm in Santa Fe.

3 Thank USA_Super_Traveler
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Fantastic venue; set in the pines just a few miles down Tesuque Canyon Rd from downtown Santa Fe and a world away. Great to go "home" to after a day of galleries, museums, shopping, etc. Shuttles are available free to/from town so easy to come and go if one party wants to take the car to golf, etc. Historical 1600's Bishop's chapel still stands. Log main lodge has great outdoor dining with views. While we have only gone as a couple or with other couples it is great for families and totally different than other lodging choices in Santa Fe. We have stayed here a dozen times (brought our employees for incentive rewards, etc); recommended it to many people who have all loved it. Drive all the way down Tesuque Canyon to the famous locals (those in the know) gourmet market/cafe near where the road meets the freeway to Taos and near the Opera House and the Flea Market both musts! We love Bishop's in all seaons and can not imagine staying anyplace else in Santa Fe!!

Room Tip: We like Chamisa building best; it is a convenient walk to everything; large rooms with fireplaces al...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great family destination just outside of Old Town Santa Fe. My wife and two boys (8, 5) stayed here in June for two nights. The rooms were large and very comfortable. The pool was great for the kids (3.5 to 8.5 feet deep), the trails around the property were outstanding, and the food was very good.

Our first impression of the resort was that it appeared a little "rustic", but after unpacking, we discovered that the rooms were very clean and comfortable. The resort does a nice job of keeping everything clean and has some nice touches throughout to help elevate its status to a premier resort of the area.

My kids really loved the "old school" playground. There was a metal slide and merry-go round, that my boys called the "scary go-round" because it moved really fast. These are the types of playground equipment that I grew up with, and not the plastic coated stuff that they are used to in newer parks. We had a great time playing badminton, croquet, and walking the hiking trails around the property. We didn't do any pony rides, but we did pet the horses. When the youngest is 8 years old, we may go back for a trail ride on the horse. The pool was very refreshing and enjoyable. The pool staff was great. We spend most of our time just lounging in the pool area. The water was pretty cold, but the kids loved it. There is also a table tennis court in the pool area for some added fun.

The restaurant had good food, but there is a fairly limited selection. We ate breakfast and lunch on the property and were very pleased with our meals. It was great to dine outside and to enjoy the view looking out on the surrounding mountains.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stop over and would highly recommend this destination to anyone with kids. It is much cheaper than many of the in town hotels, and if you have a rental car, then it is a no brainer with kids.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Lunas, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying two nights at the Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa on a recent business trip. My overall experience was very good, very relaxing. The atmosphere is breath taking, the facilities are comfortable and clean, and the staff was friendly and courteous. The food in the restaurant was appealing and delicious. I did take notice of a few maintenance items such as peeling paint on the door frame and a make-up mirror that was not working, but overall it was a very pleasant experience. I would definately like to return with my family.

2 Thank Dawn A
, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for visiting us and the great review. We hope next time you do bring your family. We have an incredible kids day camp and night camp available during the summer. They would love our daily resort activities we offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Clovis, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I spent two nights here as part of a conference for work. It was the best place I have ever stayed. Not even the two full days of work detracted from the relaxing and enjoyable experience. I do not use spas, so I didn't take advantage of that aspect of the place, but who needs spa treatments for relaxation when the surroundings themselves are so relaxing. And as an English teacher, I also appreciated the historical connection to Willa Cather's book, Death Comes for the Archbishop.

If you are looking for glitz and polish, with everything brand spanking new and trendy, then this is NOT the place for you. But if you want peaceful surroundings, old buildings, patina that comes from graceful (and maintained) aging, then this is the place for you.

My only complaint is about the in-room coffee pot. With such a lovely balcony for summer enjoyment (and a sweet in-room fireplace for winter enjoyment) I would like a better coffee pot to make coffee that I can enjoy in the room. Next time I will just bring my own pot!

Room Tip: I stayed in Chamisa Lodge and loved my spacious and quiet room. My colleagues stayed in other lodges...
3 Thank MsSing
, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2012

We do offer both renovated rooms and traditional rooms that keep in line with Bishop’s Lodge’s authentic history. Again, we so appreciate your kind words and we hope you’ll visit us again soon!
We are looking into the coffee pots!