“This Place Has Huge Potential But Right Now Make Sure You Get It On Sale”

and 1 more site!
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #41 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado
“This Place Has Huge Potential But Right Now Make Sure You Get It On Sale”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Let me first preface this review by saying that for what I payed, this place was very enjoyable, but for the price that I've seen it advertised, I would have been very disappointed. First room we were given was old, dirty and generally depressing. We were moved to a much nicer room that was very romantic. The staff was helpful and friendly, the food and room service was very good. The property seems to be falling apart a bit. The building's are in bad need of re-stuccoing, there are sidewalks and stairs that are crumbling and disintegrating. The spa was adequate and the swimming pool seemed nice, although it was too cold to enjoy. The location is great, just a quick 5-10 minute jaunt down Bishop's Lodge Road takes you right into the plaza in Santa Fe. This place has major potential and you can tell that in the past it was an amazing place. Sadly, it seems to be losing its luster a bit, hopefully they can tighten up some of their issues and this property could be top notch.

Room Tip: Make sure you see your room before you lug your bags
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank denverdeckers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed April 26, 2012

As an avid traveler, I have always researched months in advance and each detail of my trip. I decided to take my Dad to Santa Fe, NM to celebrate his 60th birthday and I found the Bishop's Lodge nearly immediately. I started to book it but saw some of the negative reviews posted on this site. I then became hesitant and began researching other places. I would say I studied nearly every place in Santa Fe and almost booked another hotel located in the city. I then made contact with two of the managers at the Bishop's Lodge. They immediately sold me on it and I booked. I felt completely confident in this decision. From the time we walked onto the property, I knew I had made the right choice. As soon as you drive out the road to the lodge, there is a peace that you can only imagine once you have been there. It's so beautiful and peaceful and away from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet you're very close and access is easy. While we were at the Bishop's Lodge we were treated so special by every member of the team... From management to wait staff to the spa and stable employees, front desk, etc. While in Santa Fe, I visited many of the other hotels that I considered and I cannot tell you how glad I was that we stayed there. If you want to visit Santa Fe and get the true feeling of the peace and beauty of the land, there's no other place but here to get it. And when we traveled other places in the state, faces of people lit up when the Bishop's Lodge was mentioned, as it is well known and so many people have fond memories of it. There is no comparison and I urge others to ignore some of the negative reviews, as I did and realize that the history and the peace and splendor of this beautiful place is simply amazing. We stayed in one of the amazing villas and I highly recommend them. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained. The staff and management is wonderful, the stables and horseback riding are so enjoyable---wranglers are absolutely fabulous, spa is to die for --highly recommend the tee pee massage-- staff is second to none at the spa.. Best massage I have ever had (and I have had a lot and been to some of the best spas in the country), restaurant and dining experience was amazing!!! We had a delicious birthday dinner and dessert and also enjoyed a spectacular brunch on the patio, amongst the peace and beauty of the property. We did not have time to use many of the other things there that they offer, such as the pool and hot tubs, skeet shooting and tennis courts and trails... But they're very well maintained and we will definitely use them next time. There is so much more to offer here at the Bishop's Lodge and I urge others to experience this property for all it has to offer. If you want to visit Santa Fe and truly soak up the history and beauty of it, this is where to stay. They're very accommodating too and any special requests will be honored. I cannot imagine having stayed anywhere else and we will absolutely return.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Amberlovestravel
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Attended a Women's Retreat this weekend held at this property.
Pros: They upgraded us to deluxe rooms free of charge! The service was good and staff very friendly! Scenery was absolutely GORGEOUS! It was very quiet and peaceful and perfect for our PWOC retreat! Shuttle that ran into Santa Fe at three different times a day.

Cons: The shower in our room had no hot water. We had to call twice in one day to have it "fixed". In their defense, they sent a gentleman quickly to rectify the problem. As part of our package, we were fed two dinners, two breakfasts, and one boxed lunch to go as part of our contract. The food was served buffet style and was mediocre at best! I was very disappointed and HUNGRY! :-) However, others in my group thought it was good. I was unable to experience the dining room, so I truly have no opinion on the quality.

There are stables right there on the property and an opportunity to ride if you so desired. A few ladies did go and enjoyed the ride immensely! The pool was heated and clean and many enjoyed the hot tub. You could rent mountain bikes and ride the trails but be aware it is not for the beginner! The spa.....well, that experience is going to be based on what you have enjoyed in the past and what you consider the value of services to be. I, personally, felt that they were way overpriced for what you were getting! Also, there are no prices on the website. After sending an email to the address listed asking for a price list for the services, I received no response.

Would I go again??? Absolutely~It was a great weekend and the overall experience was very nice!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room facing the city of Santa Fe....gorgeous at night!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lori C
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2012

After all the negative reviews on this site over the last year I was a bit reluctant to try the great Luxury Link deal offered for Bishop’s Lodge. The fact is –the place is in an incredibly beautiful setting, the people are delightful and the food was good. We arrived with reservations for a Deluxe Double but for only $50 were upgraded to a 3 bedroom villa—complete with full kitchen, 4 flat screen TVs and a patio view of the valley and the mountains that was breathtaking. I’m afraid that villa set a new standard for excellence that will be difficult to beat in future travels.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank biznews
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I had heard so many nice things about Bishop's Lodge that I decided to treat myself to a getaway. I was disappointed. First of all, the blinds in the door were broken and wouldn't shut completely. The carpet was stained. The tv was old and hard to see from the bed. The bathroom was really outdated - the shower head was an oxygenator that sounded like a leaf blower, there were controls to things that weren't even there anymore, and behind the door is a metal door stop mounted on the floor in front of a heater unit that doesn't seem to work anymore.
At $175 a night this was not even a value for Santa Fe. It appears that the new owners don't want to put any money into the property. That's a shame because Bishop's Lodge could be something special. Right now it is nothing special.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank landlocked50
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Beautiful resort, spacious deluxe king accomodations, quiet and peaceful, the beauty of nature surrounding resort.
A bit out of the way but well worth it.

• Stayed March 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My husband and I had our 25th Wedding Anniversary party at the Lodge and it was superb. The setting was stunning, the room was perfect, the food and service was excellent. Our friends enjoyed it as much as we did! The managing director made every effort with attention to each and every detail. We would recommend the Lodge to anyone looking for a perfect place for a wedding, anniversary or any other special occasion. We also spent the night and the accomodations were wonderful! We love The Bishops Lodge!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple