“Excellent service, great cocktails, but a tad off the mark”
Review of Tanti Luce 221 - CLOSED

Tanti Luce 221
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Alameda
Description: Just opened last weekend
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was my second time dining at Tanti Luce 221 and both times were very good, but not equal to the final tab, which puts it nearing the pretty expensive range.

The service and ease of making reservations couldn't be more friendly and professional.

Upon arrival, we were seated promptly and every staff member is very team oriented and focused. The menu is relatively small and diverse with a nod to both Italian and a fusion of fairly routine Santa Fe style offerings. The cocktails offered are on a par with the best in town, but the price tag elevates them to a one only limit for me. What also prompts me to limit my intake of what are really inventive, well constructed cocktails is the pitifully small "by the glass" wine offerings.

The dining room is subtly lighted and nicely appointed with warm modern art on the walls to balance the age and rustic adobe nature of things in the dining room. As crisply white as everything is painted, the room exudes warmth to match the fine service and mood.

We started with a nice beet, goat cheese, artichoke hearts and wild greens salad and were very satisfied with our choice. The bread basket offered and top grade olive oil was well suited for our choice.

I had the pork tenderloin with green chile infused, mashed sweet potatoes and seared brussel sprouts which as a child was one of my least desired vegetables. I'm now convert and these were wonderfully prepared and cooked to perfection. My wife enjoyed the hand made pasta with bolognese sauce and it was quite good as we are prone to share everything when dining out. Kind of a twoferone thing we've practiced for decades.

All in all, a very nice meal with outstanding service. Stellar? No, but quite good all the same.

7  Thank TimToad123

Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was with high expectations that my husband & I went to Tante Luce 221--we loved the proceeding Amavi. Tante Luce 221's food, however, didn't quite meet our expectations. The pork was overdone, and the pears were hard. The seafood had been fried in oil that was brown, is not fresh. The service however was very nice...

4  Thank Christine C
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This restaurant serves small but very good portions. With the problems of obesity small is not always bad. It reminds me of how food is served in Europe, eat small, slow and enjoy what you have. The menu consists of plates not likely seen elsewhere, such as a beet salad that was out of this world. It has a cool omniscience and well worth it. Outstanding food.

3  Thank MitchSonora_CA
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We went to Tanti Luce 221for the first and last time a few nights ago. The soup was ice cold and tasteless. When I asked the waiter if it was supposed to be chilled, he didn't know. He left (I suuppose to ask) and returned to take the soup back and replace it with hot soup. They offered no bread and I had to request it twice. No salt or pepper on the table and when we asked for another glass of wine we were told they had no more or the brand we were drinking even though it was on the menu. Tables were left dirty long after diners left and the restaurant was definitely understaffed which resulted in extremely poor service. Aside from this, the meal was average or perhaps a little below.

2  Thank SantaFeGirl2000
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I, with great expectation, visited this restaurant last night. The entire restaurant was cold. I kept my coat on for a long time. I won't go into the terrible service, I'll just get right to the "meat" of the matter; the food.
The menu is interesting. I saw several items that were tempting, but decided on the short rib stuffed ravioli. My husband ordered the chicken picatta, and we shared a Caesar salad. The salad was great. Fresh, well dressed and the polenta croutons were a nice departure from the usual over-sized dried out bread crouton.
However, the ravioli, which was beautifully presented, albeit a much smaller portion than I had anticipated for the price, came out cold. I mean sitting to the side; no heat lamp at all----cold. Too bad. The coldness did not give the flavors of the meat and balsamic glaze a chance to mingle. And then came the picatta. The heap of risotto that the chicken topped was severely undercooked---to the point of seeming like we were chewing pebbles. It was cooked too fast, as it was gluey and flavorless. And then the chicken itself was definitely not fresh. We left most of the Picatta dish.
The waitress checked on us after just one bite of the salad course, and then we didn't see her again.....until we got up to pay up front and leave. She then immediately apologized for ignoring us by saying that they were "just so beesy". We did something we rarely do....we did not tip. We won't be back, and I will tell anyone interested to know; about the ultimately disappointing experience.

1  Thank cupcake22763