“Red chile lovers are going to love this place!”
Review of The Ranch House

The Ranch House
Ranked #7 of 587 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Situated across the road from the Santa Fe Auto Mall south of central Santa Fe, and spitting distance of Kohl's department store. the restaurant beckoned me to come in. You are greeted by a seating area with a warm fire going - perfect on a cool autumn day. To the right is the bar area with booths and beyond that is the outdoor patio, which was a little too cold to use this day. The server took us straight ahead to dining rooms on the left, passing another on the right. The decor is minimalistic and in our dining room, again warmth emanated from the fireplace there. It has a lot of brisket and barbecue on the menu, which we might try again, it is neither Texas, Memphis or North Carolina we are told, just something that the chef specially prepares.
I thought a nice soup and salad was in order on this chilly day, and the chicken vegetable was wonderful. Chock full of chicken and vegetables with a delicious flavor. One of the specials was a Pork Burrito, so my husband decided on that. It was huge and full of marinated pork meat and some black beans, with red and green chile poured over. The green was unexceptional, but the red, my husband said was fantastic. He had to take half of the burrito home because, as I said, it was quite large.
Our server, Dan, was prompt and unobtrusive. What a nice guy to have serving you.
Only one think marred our stay and that was a very loud table to our right. It was kind of hard to talk or hear what Dan had to say and that was the only bad thing I can say.
We're going to try this one again for the brisket, and barbecue. I hear the green chile corn bread is quite good, too.

5  Thank SantaFeDiva

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit concerned, but we were ready for something besides southwest fare. We arrived around noon on a Friday, and the parking lot was packed - these were all locals ... a very good sign. There was no wait for a table. We both ordered the smaller luncheon plate - brisket, one side and cornbread. The brisket arrived perfectly cooked and beautifully placed on the plate. It was NOT covered with any sauce - hooray! I like a little sauce, and prefer to pick the type, and it is fun to try new flavors. Sides were fine, too. Refills were prompt. No complaints at all, about anything.

We will absolutely make this a new Santa Fe trip tradition, but maybe order more brisket next time!

6  Thank peterandmel
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We just love the red chile bbq sauce over the ribs. We love everything at this restaurant. We eat here each time we visit Santa Fe, NM. We are from Colorado. We even bought some of the red chile bbq sauce to take home. One year we bought the ribs to go on our way back to CO! My kids just loved it. The corn bread is delicious. My daughter had the pesto pasta with shrimp and it was heavenly. Definitely a restaurant on our list to eat at on our annual visit to NM!

9  Thank Agnes D
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It looked a good prospect when we arrived - plenty of people on a busy Saturday night. Our waiter was not at all personable, polite enough but perfunctory. We ordered the "special' (prime rib) and a NY strip. The prime rib looked a little grey but had a good smokey flavour, the NY strip was AWFUL! For $23 it looked and tasted pathetic - overcooked (ordered med/rare), fatty and stringy. The accompanying potato was ok, the vegetables overcooked and waterlogged. My margherita tasked of mix and I'm not convinced there was ANY tequila in it. We waited a good 15 minutes for the water we asked for.

For $72 (two entrees and two drinks + tip), I would definitely NOT recommend this place! You'd be better off at Outback across the road.

1  Thank Britkim2169
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Love the brisket plate . Our server Melissa was very friendly and efficient and very patient with my picky five year old . Highly recommend for a casual night out with the kids or even a nice first date .

8  Thank Danielle A