“Delightful place to stay while in Santa Fe for business or pleasure”
Review of Old Santa Fe Inn

Old Santa Fe Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I have stayed at this Inn several times and have never been disappointed with the quality of the service, food, or lodging! The rooms are clean, comfortable and reasonably priced! I especially LOVE the Kiva fireplace rooms and the breakfast bar with fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles AND a BURRITO BAR with local salsas! What a southwestern treat! Alejandra (Alex) is exceptionally friendly, helpful and knowlegable and the other staff are too. The Old Santa Fe Inn is also within walking distance to the Old Plaza and the State Capitol which has been very helpful for me!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank skos05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I decided to take a little ski trip this Winter; and I wanted to go some place I had never been before. I decided on Santa Fe for skiing and Albuquerque for a side trip/transportation destination. (I found it easier to fly to Albuquerque in my case.)

When I began looking for a place to stay, I wanted a local property which might offer something different than a chain hotel - I found The Old Santa Fe Inn. With its location so central to the Plaza and dining/shopping/historic places within walking distance; the Old Santa Fe Inn can’t be beat.

This has been a hotel/inn for decades and has been well maintained obviously. It is still a ‘destination’ for some people I spoke with who would not stay any place else in Santa Fe. I met European vacationers, baby boomers - who were property shopping to build a retirement home - and saw families with teens and younger kids. Everyone seemed to be comfortable – I know I was.

Each morning you can enjoy a good variety at breakfast; from eggs, bacon, home-fried potatoes and waffles you can make yourself. Plus, fruit, cereals, fresh breads, etc… It is a great way to start the day; and it is included in the price of the room! And, you can get fresh baked cookies in the afternoon/evening; which is a nice treat to look forward to after a day of shopping or activities. Some rooms have a gas Kiva fireplace. While it doesn’t offer much heat to the room; it is a nice affect while you are staying there.

As for dinner, you can find ‘bar food’ in the way of tacos and other quick bites in bars/taverns around the motel. But for a good meal, try The Sleeping Dog Tavern. With food offerings like Steak Frites and drink specials (House Margaritas were $4.00 while I was there) it is a very good dining experience. Note that Santa Fe has numerous restaurants, so pick one and try it.

If you want to go skiing, Ski Santa Fe is only about 20-30 minutes away on a scenic and winding road. It was fine for me (a novice skier) and had enough runs for me to enjoy the Winter weather and not be in an overcrowded resort area. (It you are expecting the A-Basin or Tahoe; this is not the ski area for you though.)

So ‘high marks’ for the Old Santa Fe Inn; go and enjoy a clean, nostalgic hotel on your next trip to Santa Fe.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank SoFloridaGuy
Reviewed February 18, 2010

What a terrific little hotel. Great location and very helpful staff. The breakfast was tasty and generous and the afternoon cookies and coffee very welcome on a cold snowy day. Free use of computers appreciated. A small gym but adequate. I stayed in a large one-bedroom suite with a friend but the roomy lounge area, luggage 'room', and spaciousness meant that sleeping on the sofa-bed and sharing such a space was comfortable. A five-minute walk to most shops, restaurants and museums. Just a 10 minute walk to the train station (with bags). I fell in love with Santa Fe and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank possiblyaprincess
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We booked the Old Santa Fe Inn the night before after reading reviews here on TA. We were not let down - this beautiful hotel manages to soak up all the flavour of Santa Fe and serve it up in buckets to travellers. The hotel was so tastefully decorated for the holiday season - I enjoyed it just for this.

We shared a suite with our two teenagers which meant it was a little squishy. The open fire was lovely as was the hotel supplied toiletries and coffee.

The breakfast buffet was delicious, plentiful and very pleasant.

The furniture and appointments were all in 'Santa Fe style' and was so warm and inviting I considered buying some pieces to transport to Australia!

American hotels do not appear to cater for families very well - in 8 weeks of travelling we never found a hotel with a "Family Room" as we get in Australia (1 x king bed and 2 x single or double beds).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Michelle_6532
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Our stay here was a great one. We had our own fenced in patio, rooms were clean, service was great. You HAVE to try the breakfast burritos out. You will not regret it and you will thank me! For you light sleepers, the heater in the room was a little noisy, but this did not particularly bother me. My daughter loved the cookies in the lobby every afternoon. Staff were constantly clearing snow and spreading salt in the parking lot. I think they will even come clean your windsheild if you get snowed in. I did not have to call them as I had my own scraper. Walking distance to downtown shops. You will love it here. Maybe 5 minutes from the base of Ski Santa Fe. Once you get there maybe another 20-25 minutes up the mountain. If you are going sledding at Hyde Park, go to a local sporting goods store and buy your own for cheaper than renting.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank rm328
Reviewed January 31, 2010

On Dec 7 2009 we were warmly greeted by Alex Rodriguez. She proved to be valuable to us as this was our first visit to Santa Fe and New Mexico. Always with a pleasant smile and ever ready helpful directions and suggestions (which were always reliable)made our visit much easier. The only problem is she can't be Xeroxed.!

Our room was very comfortable, both appointment and temperature wise (helped by the use of a modern heating/cooling unit not like most motels and inns). The inn location was absolutely great as it was only a 5 minute walk to the plaza, many restaurants,shops and attractions.

The free breakfast featured the usual bacon and eggs, but also avaliable was fruit, yogart and a variety of fresh baked breads from a nearby bakery. We also enjoyed the coffee/tea/hot chocolate and cookies at 4:00PM each day. And what a plesant surprise to have our car cleaned off after a snow one night!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PLCPLH
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Charming decor, well- located, reasonably priced downtown hotel with friendly, professional service.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business