“Great location, great cookies!”
Review of Old Santa Fe Inn

Old Santa Fe Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here for three nights with friends while vacationing from the East Coast. Check-in was easy and efficient. We opted for the King room with fireplace ($10 upgrade from a regular King room) and were lucky we did, because just as we finished checking in a big-time thunderstorm caused a power outage in the entire downtown Santa Fe area that lasted about 90 minutes. The fireplace was a good source of light (and also very romantic). As most of the downtown restaurants were closed due to the power outage, we relied on the desk clerk for restaurant recommendations, and he did not disappoint. Hint: Try the Tune-Up Cafe. The wait was long but the food was worth it.

Cookies are served every afternoon at 4 PM and they were delicious! Breakfast was nice, but a bit disappointing. The "Burrito Bar" as basically a plate full of tortillas with a choice of eggs, bacon, and veggies that you could fill the tortilla with. There were also waffle irons (only one on weekdays, but two on weekends) and the waffles were pretty good. The fresh fruit was nice. Surprisingly, there were no "sweet" choices at all. No danish, no muffins, nada. Expected more from a place this nice.

Location is ideal. Walking distance from all the downtown Santa Fe attractions and shopping, and we were able to leave our car and explore much of the downtown area on foot. I would definitely recommend this place if you are heading to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: No elevators here at this two-floor property, so if you don't want to carry your bags upstairs...
2  Thank ccsuwxman19
Write a ReviewReviews (1,681)

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I knew this was a very convenient location and the place looked online nice but I was really impressed with how nice and well appointed the rooms were! They also have an absolutely fantastic breakfast bar that has so many hot meal options, both New Mexican and American standards. Wonderful coffee, a great, nicely furnished dining area with a relaxing feel. The help is very conscientious about keeping everything filled and even were willing to do things for a guest with special needs.
Hot cookies and coffee/lemonade in the afternoon was a nice pick me up after a day of walking. Desk staff was very helpful in recommendation for directions and recommendations.
The room was really wonderful, with a gas kiva fireplace and reading chairs, and small patio and convenient plugins for electronics, along with a small counter to make coffee along with a microwave and fridge to keep things cold.
We stayed several places in Santa Fe this trip and this was the best of the bunch because it was so easy, very nice, had every amenity we needed and you couldn't beat the convience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NancyC-VW
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Came in via Amtrak shuttle on May 9, 2014. Room very comfortable and pleasant reception at front desk. Room clean and adequate size. Charming decor. Great breakfast with homemade tamales. Fresh made cookies and tea in afternoon.

3  Thank LindaGTonyG
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here for one night in March and really enjoyed our stay with two adults and two small children. We really liked the decor of the place, the room was clean and tidy, and the breakfast was really good. And, finally, good coffee! The location was great for walking around and enjoying the sites of Santa Fe. This is a refurbished motel, so the rooms are very motel-like, which we thought was fun and sort of felt "Old West". The rooms are a little dark inside. But, again, they are clean, with nice furnishings and even came with little chocolates in the room. As everyone has noted, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The one downside is the bathroom was a little tight- we need to help our children in the bathroom, and that was not easy due to the small size. We would definitely stay here again and consider it for a longer trip to Santa Fe- it seems like, unfortunately, we are always just passing through. I would recommend this to others. I especially liked the decor in the dining room, the covered wagon in the parking lot, and the hanging chili peppers!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jld1975
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have been to Santa Fe several times before, but always with a group of friends. This time I was on my own, wanting a getaway to focus on some editing, broken up by puttering around a town I liked. I did not have a car, having taken a shuttle from the Albuquerque airport. I didn't need one. As others have said the location is very convenient to the Plaza, but also to the Railroad yard area to which I walked for the Saturday Market. Just a few blocks too for a visit to the State Capitol, and night trips to see an extraordinary dance performance at the Lensic Theater and a guitar concert at the San Miguel Mission Church. Innumerable eating options at all price levels were close by. Good to have a Japanese meal one night as a break from SW cuisine. The breakfast options included in the room price should satisfy everyone. On the weekend there were homemade tamales that were quite wonderful. I had a first floor room and enjoyed sitting outside on a bench on occasion, even though the view was of the parking lot. Also a block to benches along the river. The room was small but well appointed overall. There was a good sized desk to serve my needs but I would have liked a comfy chair for reading. This is not an uncommon "complaint" of mine. I do not like to read in bed. However there was a good supply of pillows so I made do. Service was excellent and friendly from the front desk to housekeeping to breakfast room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank RestlessFeet
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel was easy to find and parking is included in the stay, but the spaces are very tight and have steel rails marking the parking places. Even with care it is hard to put the car in the parking place without rolling up on the rails or rubbing the tires, that is how tight the parking places are. The hotel is walking distance from the downtown plaza, which is great. The room was good, but had problems with the remote for the HVAC. Tried several times get them working, one in the bedroom and one in the seating area. Finally had to call the night manager, who had to come back to the room with me and get the job done. He said I was not the first one to complain about the units, that most people could not figure them out. The breakfast was very good with lots of local flavors. All in all I would say it was an OK place, but a little overpriced.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room, because the floors groan when you walk on them. We were upstairs and felt sorr...
1  Thank bayouself
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I'd stayed here before, 7 years ago, & it was even better than I remembered. The service was more like hospitality, like we were honored guests. The immaculate rooms were not spacious, but didn't feel cramped. My partner is 6'3" & was a little too large for the bed, but it was so comfortable, he said it mattered little. The linens were top-shelf quality. The room was clean by the time we returned from a superb breakfast breakfast, which was kept refreshed beyond the posted times. The fruit tasted like it had been picked that morning. The free parking within walking distance of every sight on our list in Old Santa Fe. I could write a book, but I think I have conveyed my delighted satisfaction with every aspect of the Old Santa Fe Inn. I would not consider staying anywhere else if I were to return.

• Stayed: May 2014