“Good -” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Houston, Texas
“Good -”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

Clean room. Great breakfast. Close to the centre.

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank Ducati40

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

I booked a standard king room and arranged to have the deposit charged to my credit card. About 45 minutes later, I got a call from the fraud department of my bank notifying me of suspicious activity on my card. This was instant anxiety because the only other similar call I ever got involved the theft of my identity. After a good half hour on the phone with my bank, I found out that the activity had been three deposit charges from the Old Santa Fe Inn, instead of the one deposit charge they should have made. The bank refused the charges, so I called the Inn back to confirm my reservation again. They put the deposit through again and assured me my reservation for a standard king room was in order.

When we got to the Inn, we were given a handicapped room with two twin beds. They said they could not give us a king room as reserved, but they would push the beds together and an adjustment in the rate would be credited to my account by the next morning. The handicapped room lacked a bathroom vanity so we had nowhere to put our toiletries, it did not have the comfortable upholstered chair that other rooms have, and the rimless shower caused water to wet the whole bathroom floor.

On checking out, I was told that they could not give me a receipt or tell me what the actual rate with the adjustment was because their computers were down from the lightning storm the night before. I filled out a form and was told I would receive the receipt in the mail and would be told what the adjustment was. I waited a full week and when I still hadn't received the receipt, I called them.
This time I was told they were changing computer systems and that they could neither issue receipts from the old system nor access it to tell me what the adjusted amount of my bill was. I asked to speak to the manager but was told she wasn't taking calls until Wednesday. I expressed my need to know what I was charged and the front-desk employee said they would have someone call me that day, Monday. I waited all day and half of the next day before writing this review, but no one called me back.

The Old Santa Fe Inn acts as if their operating problems are sufficient reason not to take responsibility for how they treat their clients. Our room was less comfortable than it should have been and we still don't know what they actually charged us. They didn't honor the reservation as made and they didn't keep their promise to send a receipt. In an effort to determine what charges/credits they actually put on my charge card, I called my bank. Ironically, none of their problems kept them from charging my card the full amount of a standard king room. No adjustment has been made. One more promise not kept. No one needs these hassles.

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank flyingbirdnm
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2008
I will contact this client and make amends for this poor experience. As written in the review, we were trying to work through computer (and telephone) issues caused by a lightning strike. Operating systems are back on line now. I apologize for what this client experienced - it was far below the expectations that we set for ourselves and the hotel.
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is a very clean modern little hotel with a great Santa Fe feel and atmosphere. The first thing I noticed was how pretty this hotel is both inside and out. The hotel's adobe style exterior is landscaped with beautiful large native trees, plants and vines. Guest rooms are decorated with functional upgraded southwest style furniture along with cozy very comfortable beds and pillows. The staff was exceptionally nice.
Complementary breakfast was especially delicious with self-serve breakfast soft taco fixings. It was a perfect start to our adventures in the Santa Fe area. Only a short walk from the hotel we enjoyed spending time in the cities museums, many shops and galleries.
A stop at the Plaza Cafe for apple pecan pie is a must - this seemingly odd combination of ingredients was delicious! Oh, and the entree's aren't bad either. Very reasonable prices.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Old Santa Fe Inn. It's a great value in a great location.

• Liked — Wonderful atmosphere with comfortable accomdations.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank WinstonHouston
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

The Old Santa Fe Inn was a great place to stay. It is within walking distance to the Plaza. We stayed in the Deluxe Suite and it was beautiful. We had a balcony with the most beautiful view of the mountains. Surprisingly, it was very quiet and the bed was comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning too. They had a good variety for breakfast and the food was good too. We will definately stay there again!

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank vscarafi
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

Our room was very spacious, beautifully decorated and clean. The location was about as good as you could get in downtown Santa Fe, a short walk to the Plaza and many places to eat and shop. The price was a little more than what we would have hoped but seemed in line with a facility and location like this. Parking was free, which was not the case with some other nearby hotels. Staff was great. Breakfast (included) was okay. We'll be recommending this and staying there ourselves next time we go to Santa Fe.

• Liked — Location, quality and size of room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank tennesseetraveler_8
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

My friend and I just spent a delightful long weekend at the Old Santa Fe Inn, Santa Fe, NM. This hotel is a renovated motel, i.e. parking is right outside the rooms. They've done a beautiful job remodeling it and the rooms are wonderful. Our room had two queen sized beds and a large bath w/tub and shower. The beds were so comfortable that it was difficult to get up in the mornings. They had a complimentary breakfast bar that was quite nice with waffles, toast, eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt and fruit. It is conveniently located just three blocks from the main plaza. The staff is very accommodating.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No outside seating except for a few benches; no pool.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank Sr_RoadRunner
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

The junior suite was attractive and very clean. When I made the reservation, I was told there was no furniture on the patio; fortunately that was not true. The old dried out bath mat however, had to be the grossest one I've ever encountered-- it was a mat that goes under a rug, with suction cups attached.

They were out of maps at the front desk which is surprising for a hotel at the beginning of summer season. No offer to find one or make a copy.

The breakfast bar was okay. Nice fruit but rubbery eggs on the burrito bar. Good bread for toast but in plastic bags so all the guests were sticking their hands in and touching all of the bread - very unsanitary. The budget chain hotels do a better job with plastic covers and utensils to pick up slices of bread.

I asked for a comment card when checking out and was told "it;s not my shift, I don't know where they are. Wasn't there one in your room?" I answered no, and that was the end of any offer for further assistance.

The front desk staff could use a refresher course in customer service. They seemed very uninterested in doing much of anything to help guests.

Stayed June 2008
4 Thank Topdrawer7
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2008
I have written privately to this guest to address his/her concerns. Several of the things pointed out were very helpful to us, and as a result some changes have been already implemented to make things a little better for all of our guests. The service experienced at the front desk is of course unacceptable, and we are looking into exactly what happened. I have apologized to this client, and would welcome the chance to set things right when they again visit us.