“OMG! This time was even better!!!”
Review of Old Santa Fe Inn

Old Santa Fe Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My partner and I had the opportunity to stay at the Old Santa Fe inn during Indian Market this year. This time was even better that the other time we stayed during the holidays. I think we had become regulars there. You can tell they were busier, but they make us feel like home. They had goodies for us when we check in. The Chocolates were exquisite, they even gave us a "fancy" water bottle and a bag of local pop corn.
People in the reception was amazing. Nomar check us in and the only thing I can say is that he really is a super star! he is knowledgeable, personable and always with a big smile. (personal advice for management, is that they should use Nomar as their reservations department trainer) The service from the staff in the hotel was great but it was not the story while we made the reservation (the only bad thing). Ernesto and Joey where also great! You really feel like home in that hotel. The location is amazing and really we got a great deal.

Room Tip: Call directly the hotel to book the reservation.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bambalan
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your kind comments and patronage. With regard to the reservations issue, since we record all of our calls I will find this one, listen to it with our team, and we will determine what we can do better. We will make changes and step up training as appropriate.

Our front desk is far too busy to take reservations calls, so we will have to work to make our reservations department better, and we will. Thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,681)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in room 2, the upstairs deluxe suite overlooking Galisteo Street, with a view of the New Mexico State Capitol complex, for Indian Market week. Most Santa Fe hotels jack up their rates at that time, and Old Santa Fe Inn is no exception. Having paid a steep premium, I was less forgiving of the room's flaws than I might have otherwise been. The good: location, spaciousness, view, quality bedding, mattress, and carpet. The air conditioning worked well, and was reasonably quiet. The bedroom A/C unit pointed directly at the head of the bed, but was not too uncomfortable at night, when on low. The bad: thin walls, aging plumbing and bathroom ventilator fans. Whenever a certain one of my neighbors took a shower in the morning, it was impossible to sleep. It was so loud that in the evening, it drowned out my TV at normal volume. Room 2 is next to the one over the laundry room. I felt sorry for my neighbors in that room, because that noise was mildly annoying for me. The ugly: peeling paint on the bedroom wall and on the hearth, stained, dirty-looking jets in the creaky Jacuzzi tub, having to jiggle the toilet handle to stop it from leaking, and dirty windows (see photos). I did not get wi-fi in my room on the first day. The next day, I went to use my tablet in the hotel lobby, and the friendly desk clerk offered to help. He phoned the hotel's network administrator first, and then the hotel's service provider tech hotline, long-distance, wherever it was. Fine, but then he asked me to speak with this tech person. After answering questions and listening to a lot of Muzak, one thing led to another, and I was being asked by both the tech people and the hotel, to got to my room, and be available for the rest of the afternoon for a level 2 tech person to call. At that point, I refused to do the hotel management's job. Interestingly enough, wi-fi service was available in my room from that evening on, albeit weak and slow.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Known2Roam
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your comments. We are looking into all of the items you mentioned and we will address each of them quickly.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Based largely on the high Trip Advisor rating we booked the Old Santa Fe Inn for a week's stay several months ago. Santa Fe is a magical place and, while we had a wonderful visit to the city, the Inn was simply "average," neither adding much to our stay nor doing much to make our visit less special. Put differently, we expected more for an "investment" of close to $2000 for a room for a week in what is, admittedly, a pricey city. First, the positives. Location, location, location. Gallisteo is a quiet street off the main downtown tourist scrum--but close enough to be right in the thick of things on Water, San Francisco or the Plaza with a five minute walk. If you don't want to venture out even that far for dinner, there are good choices, such as the Gallisteo Bistro even closer by. A second positive is the generous breakfast offerings which include a burrito bar with all the breakfast burrito fixins, self-made waffles, fresh fruit, good bread options for toast, juices and Starbucks coffee. Bottom line, even though there are great breakfast options nearby that should be tried (Cafe Pasquale's and Clafoutis for sure), the Inn's included breakfast can get you going early for the day trips you should consider (such as Taos) while saving some money to spend in infinite other ways. The room was fine, nothing special, but the bed was really comfortable. So, what fell short? For one, we never felt the warmth and hospitality so many have written about--a thought echoed by the last published posted review I saw before writing this. Upon arrival we asked for a different room because we had booked months and months in advance and, for a week long stay, would have preferred not to be right on Gallisteo (though that turned out to be okay), would have preferred to not have one of the few upstairs rooms and would have preferred to have a room with parking outside the door which included all rooms other than the few located upstairs. Our request was dismissed as impossible out of hand with no effort to see if it good be accommodated until the next day. Interestingly, earned the next morning that our ate arriving traveling companions were located in a room exactly like the one we were requesting hours earlier. Anyway, the room was, nevertheless, okay and we stayed with it. That said, it had its quirks including a wall mounted AC unit seemingly aimed at the heads of sleeping guests. Even on stuffy nights we found ourselves having to turn up the AC above our comfort level and/ or really cover up to avoid the overnight "wind chill." Furniture in the room was oddly located such that my spouse s clothing was hung in a chest far removed from the bed and bathroom right by the room's entry door. My chest was right by the bathroom door such that if I was getting something out of it, one's partner is trapped in the bathroom. Wifi is prominently advertised by he hotel but it is largely a myth no matter where we were on the property. I'm writing this from the Holiday Inn Express at the Albuquerque airport from a room in which I've been able to easily catch up on email and get on the web, something that was mostly impossible at the Old Santa Fe Inn. We were happy to find small bottles of water in the room upon arrival...but they were never replaced. A couple of times during the week we asked for water at the reception if we were heading out for a walk or day trip and they were always given...but seemingly begrudgingly as if we had no business asking. In the final analysis, I'm posting this review because of the bad feeling we left the Inn with at today's departure. After staying for a week we asked for a late checkout, 1 pm instead of the usual 11am, since we didn't need to rush to Albuquerque. Much like when we checked in the request was dismissed out of hand and we were told that if we did not check out by noon "the computer would charge us for another day." So we checked out on time, packed our bags, loaded the car and, throwing caution to the Wind, left it parked in the Inn's lot while we walked to the Plaza area to enjoy our last few hours in Sant Fe. We returned for our car around 2:30pm and stopped at reception to ask for a couple of bottles of water for the road ahead to Albuquerque. We were told, after a week long stay costing almost $2000 that they would cost a dollar each since we had already checked out. Seriously? I'm afraid that this was the attitude that encapsulated our stay. It simply wasn't welcoming and, had it been so, I think we'd be much more forgiving of the relatively minor bumps we encountered during the week. I can't say definitively that we'd never stay there again, but I would certainly search hard for alternatives before it would be my hotel of choice in this wonderful city.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank EES-Columbus

Thank you for your patronage and for writing with your comments. We have noted your comments and we are working to address each of them as needed for our future guests. We hope to have a chance to provide a better experience for you in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

In Santa Fe for the opera and stayed 3nites. It was perfect for our needs. The hotel is just outside the old area, we could walk to everything including Canyon Road. It's a old style motel with gravel grounds and parking in front of the room . The room was small but very acceptable, the breakfast was outstanding. The hotel personnel were very friendly and helpful on dining recommendations and directions. I would also recommend the Loretto tram tour to get oriented.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Tedandtre
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The last two times I stayed at the Old Santa Fe Inn this year, I was sad to see that the hotel that I have known and praised for 8 years is slowly losing the quality that made it stand out: competence, efficiency, hospitality and that personal touch that always makes the difference. I wrote a stellar review sometime ago because the hotel impressively delivered what it promised in its advertising again and again. Not anymore. The reservation waiting time is way too long, repeat returning guests get the AAA rate and none of the courtesies they got before, the receptionist has an unprofessional tone, the bathrooms are beginning to look old and run down, and the office never has change. I hope that it is not too late for the old Old Santa Fe Inn to make a comeback. This is why I am writing this review. It is sad to see a good thing go.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Alexandra17

First, thank you for staying with us. We appreciate it. But we take exception to your broad-brush statement that our hotel has declined in its condition.

As an example, following are some of the upgrades and improvements we have made to the Inn this year alone:

1. we added convenient wall-mounted fixtures in the shower with premium shampoo, conditioner and body wash products from Comfort Zone
2. we upgraded our towel quality, adding the Venus line
3. we changed our shower curtains to a better quality line with a see-through upper section, and we added Kohler "rain shower" heads.
4. we added 43" HD flat screen TVs in all our rooms and suites

Also, we are providing a small box of locally-made chocolates on arrival, and this has been very well received by our past guests. We are also now providing complimentary bottled water, and now every room (except 2) has a refrigerator and microwave.

For breakfast, we added tamales,a variety of fruits (strawberries, grapes, melons), croissants, homemade beans, and new salsas from a local farmer.

We have implemented several green initiatives, too. We replaced paper towels with hand wash cloths in common area restrooms, and added motion sensor faucets and motion sensor lights for common areas, laundry, and maintenance rooms. Also, the new bath products replace wasteful single bottle amenities, and we changed our water bottles to biodegradable ones. We also added paper recycle stations in library, front desk, and administration.

While we appreciate your past excellent review, please note that we are constantly improving our Inn and will continue to do so. We regret that this stay was as enjoyable as your last one, and we hope for the chance to prove ourselves to you again. John Smallwood, Manager

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This past April I spent 6 nights in Santa Fe, New Mexico while attending a conference. Because there were several well-attended conferences in Santa Fe all the same week and week-end I could not get a room at any of the places the conference managers had recommended. My good fortune! I found a room at the Old Santa Fe Inn, just 2 blocks from the main business district and 3 blocks from the Plaza in the center of town. I had a quiet, comfortable room with a spacious bathroom toward the back away from the street on the ground floor. Hotel staff were courteous and helpful, giving me maps of Santa Fe and marking on one of them the best way to walk to the Convention Center where the conferences was to be held. They also marked for me, good, high quality restaurants that were not pricey or "touristy". Breakfast the next morning exceeded all my expectations and far surpassed any breakfast i have ever had for a moderate priced hotel in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world. Hot Starbucks Coffee was available from
6 a.m with fruit in the room adoining the front desk but. . . go around the corner to the dining room and wow! Beginning at 7 a.m., sausages, bacon, large tortillas, hot biscuits or other breakfast breads, scrambled eggs, a pot of beans, huge variety of fruit, and three salsas tempted plus hot coffee, hot water for tea and orange and grapefruit juices, all waiting to be consumed. On Saturday and Sunday mornings we were offered the irresistable - hot tamales steaming in their corn husk wrappers! I filled up on this gourmet feast every morning and had only soup and tea for lunch. The Old Santa Fe Inn gets my vote for Hotel of the Decade. I definitely will return to Santa Fe and there is only one place where I will book a room. By the way, breakfast is the only meal served and it was included in the reasonable room fee.

Room Tip: My room on the ground floor tucked in a corner at the back was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank wanderinsoul
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This adobe styled motel/hotel is great. Short walk to the main square and shopping in Santa Fe. Also within walking distance (10 -15 minutes) to the art galleries of Canyon Road. Clean place, friendly people, see their website for photos, also wonderful buffet breakfast included.

Room Tip: We had one of the suites with jetted tub in bathroom and a patio of our own. Lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple