“Great location, but management is terrible” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Santa Fe Inn

Old Santa Fe Inn
Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Austin, Texas
“Great location, but management is terrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

I'm one that books and calls at least twice to verify the room reservation. We did just that, but were given the incorrect room. When we complained to the front desk, she made a change for us, but not happily. I think we were lucky that we arrived before other guests for the evening. The location was perfect for walking everywhere and the room was comfortable even though neighbors could be heard (only a little) next door. My advice would be to call ahead often, arrive early, and eat the WONDERFUL breakfast!

• Liked — Breakfast and location
  • Disliked — Disorganized and rude staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AustinTX78745
Newslane, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2008
I manage the Old Santa Fe Inn, and I have e-mailed this client to find a way to address his/her concerns. Attitude as was described from our front desk staff is obviously unacceptable, and I would like to make things right. Please get in touch. John Smallwood, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2007

The room was fine and the breakfast fair. Location great - near Plaza. Strange part is that I left two items in room after checking out. Told hotel next day. Took them 3 days to ask maids if they found them which they had. Then it took them 2 and one half weeks to lose the items. I called them 6 times and they NEVER once returned my calls. When I got someone, I could tell (except for one guy) that I was just an irritant. I even asked to speak to the supervisor, who never called me back. WOW! I will never stay there again despite many of the nice features of the hotel and its location.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Baraka7
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2008
I have attempted to contact this member to make amends for their experience. Please get in touch with me so we can work out a satisfactory resolution and welcome you back as a guest. Thanks. John Smallwood, Manager
Maryland USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel twice. It has great rooms and bathrooms. Close (three blocks) to the plaza. The free breakfast is terrific. Waffles, eggs, bacon...

• Stayed November 2007
7 Thank retired4travel
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed in Room 15 while visiting relatives over Thanksgiving. We've stayed in several hotels in Santa Fe and this was the best so far, and quite reasonable (I booked through Hotels.com and found that our rate was WAY less than the posted rate on the door). The location is convenient, just a few short blocks to the plaza and to one of our favorite breakfast and lunch spots, The Guadalupe Cafe. I appreciated the much better than average lighting in the room, with multiple lamps, most with 3-way bulbs. The water was hot and the bed quite comfortable, with a down comforter and an additional thick blanket. As others have mentioned, the complimentary breakfast bar is fantastic. We had the option of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, along with tortillas which you could warm on a hot plate and add cheese and sauces to make a breakfast burrito or quesadilla; there was also a waffle maker, granola and yogurt, fruit, and a variety of tasty artisanal-style breads for toasting. There was a microwave in the breakfast room too, should you need one. And good strong coffee!

The Inn is also close to Cerrillos, making it a quick drive to Whole Foods, and other favorite restaurants - Tecolote Cafe and Mu Du Noodles. Enjoy your visit!

• Liked — Location, room lighting, breakfast, free wireless
  • Disliked — Gravel parking lot
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank P-and-J-Travel
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

I've stayed at the Old Santa Fe Inn a number of times, and I have always been pleased with the accomodations, the staff and the location.

This time I stayed in Room #2, a deluxe suite. I got a terrific deal for the room at Expedia, paying less for the suite than I would have paid for a smaller room. It pays to do the research! The room door is located in an awkward location near the street, and the door opens into a stairway that leads up to the room. There is a fireplace, microwave, mini-fridge and wet-bar area. The windows look out across Galisteo street onto the Bataan Memorial on the grounds of the New Mexico State Capitol. The separate bedroom is large and feels very homey, with understated Santa Fe style decor. The bathroom comes with a jetted tub, which unfortunately creaks when using the shower. There is a big counter space around the sink, and the only problem I had with the room was a burned-out light over the sink (argh!).

There are only a couple of things that you should beware of if this is your first stay here. First, don't expect to check in before the posted check-in time of 4pm. I have learned from my previous stays that this is just the way it is. I arrived this time between noon and 1pm knowing this, but I did let the deskclerk know I was there, and he gave me a parking tag for my vehicle and got all the paperwork out of the way, so that when the room was ready, all I would need to pick up was the key. Second, although the Inn is an easy 3 block walk from the Plaza area, after dark the lighting along that area is limited, and I would recommend being alert if you are out and about at night.

Overall, this is a well-maintained, reasonably priced property that I'm happy to recommend to others.

• Liked — The do-it-yourself breakfast burritos!
  • Disliked — Noise from room below
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank jdbhouston
Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

I stayed in room 25 which had an adjoining room option that I didn't use. My room had a fireplace, a desk/working area, an extra sink, fridge, and two televisions. My bathroom was small but I used the jacuzzi tub to help prepare an awesome bubble bath. I had a king sized bed all to myself and it was very comfy. I would have preferred a paved parking lot to make moving heavy luggage with wheels a little easier but that was a very minor pain. I got to see two other rooms: room 33 was a little dark and small but still very comfortable; and room 412 (?) that had a private roof-top patio which was very nice to sit outside with a group of friends to enjoy the warm air and stars. I thought my room was tastefully decorated and was quite comfortable. The hotel is within walking distance of two fantastic restaurants: Tomasitos and (I forgot the name of the second one). Everything seemed to be within walking distance so that was very pleasant. I wish that they would check the remote control batteries but other than that, great place to stay with a friendly staff and cute decor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dead batteries
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank pameluh
chicago,il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We arrived on a Tues and stayed through Saturday. We were very impressed with the property. The front desk was so welcoming and quick to answer all of my questions. I always have plenty. This is not a upscale hotel but that is not what we wanted. We normally book Bed and Breakfasts but as our daughters were joining us later in the week we decided to stay at a hotel. Much to our surprise the feel of this motel was more like a B &B. We loved talking to the other guests at Breakfast from which we ate so much that lunch wasn't necessary. The beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. Tea and Coffee were available at all times. In the afternoon fresh cookies and fruit were placed out. I liked that they had a hugh book of menus so that we could shop our dinner before going and they were wonderful about calling when we needed a reservation. When our daughters arrived they were booked but went out of their way to find a place for them to stay that was reasonable. On our next trip we will absolutely book this hotel again

• Liked — location and the friendliness
  • Disliked — the location of our room was next to the maid station and they started work at 7:30 so the dryer woke us up
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family