“New Mexican Flavors”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went with some of our friends to a Sunday night dinner outing to Tia's Cocina or Aunt's kitchen, located in the Hotel Chimayo. The restaurant is noted for it's Chimayo or Northern New Mexican style food. I love going to Rancho de Chimayo( see one of my previous reviews, but sometimes I am not in the mood for a long drive). The big hit of the evening was the pan fried breaded rainbow trout, trucha, with a lemon butter garlic sauce served with papa fritas and calabacitas( Mexican gray squash or zucchini. Here it was Mexican gray squash )My friend couldn't stop raving about how wonderful it tasted. I am always glad when this happens because I suggested this restaurant.
Another person in our party had the carne de marrano, which are savory grilled pork chops with Chimayo red chile, papa fritas and calabacitas. My wife had the lengua con chile rojo which is a slow cooked beef tongue. The lengua was served with Chimayo red chile, Spanish rice, pinto beans and chicos with a fresh flour tortilla. Ok, I have to discuss Chimayo red chile. It is the best red chile ever. The chiles are grown in Chimayo. It has a deep flavor that you can taste in your dreams. Believe me when I am away from New Mexico I need my red chile or green chile from Hatch from the southern part of the state. I had the vegetarian plato which was traditional New Mexican style baked macaroni with Chimayo chile served with pinto beans, sauteed spinach and chicos( I had calabacitas). Ok, I got teased at the table for eating kids food. I don't care. It is New Mexican comfort food. It was tasty and delicious. The beans were almost as good as my wife's. The spinach was tender. I dived right in and gobbled them down.
The only downside to our meal was a sluggish wait person. It was not a busy Sunday night. There were only 2 other tables with patrons inside and a few outside on the terrace. During our meal the table next to us had barbeque ribs. We didn't see it on the menu. We asked our server. He said it wasn't on the menu. What is that about?
He did bother to tell us about the goat's milk flan. This is the best flan I have ever had. So ask about it.

There are newer reviews for Tia's Cocina

Reviewed June 18, 2013

New chef-owner and his wife cook from her grandmother's recipes using real Chimayo chile. Fresh ingredients cooked with love. The upstairs restaurant is cozy with lots of wood, an easy place to relax. Great huevos rancheros for breakfast!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Three of us met and dined here last week. We each ordered something different. From their specialty steak drizzled with red chile....yum! To the Lamb Chop special...melt in your mouth tender and tasty! To the Trout....to die for good! Service was friendly and timely. Ambiance nice with both indoor and outdoor options. The waitress even gave the tourist in our group a baggy to collect some healing soil from the famous Santuario de Chimayo. A nice meal all around

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had not been back to Tia's for some time, even though we enjoyed our first meal there. It is now under new and better management. My husband and I stopped for lunch about a week or so ago and enjoyed the beef Village Tacos and the Enchiladas de Chimayo. Everything was fresh and delicious and our waitress was terrific. We appreciated the fact that they were more than willing to make substitutions for us as well. By the way, the iced tea tasted freshly made.

We returned a few nights ago with 3 others in tow. We started our meal with the chile rellano appetizer and were all amazed by how delicous they were. there are 2 choices with the rellanos - Classic – Roasted New Mexican green chile filled with local cheese, batter-dipped and served on a bed of green chile and Modern – Roasted New Mexican green chile filled with local cheese and served on a bed of garlic and goat cheese sauce with a touch of Chimayo red chile. Both were exceptional. The classic is thinly coated and the green chile was excellent. The modern has no coating and the sauce is incredible. We were fighting over the leftover sauce, sopping it up with tortillas. Both are a much lighter version of this dish and are wonderful. Other dishes enjoyed during the meal were posole (lots of tender pork), enchilads, tacos and tamales. Everything tasted fresh, and in fact much of what is used in the kitchen comes from the Farmer's Market here or from Chimayo. Our waitress and the chef are husband and wife and both were friendly and accomodating. The dining room is lovely- be sure to take a look at the fireplace. There are also several tables outside on the balcony, overlooking Washington Avenue.mWe can't wait to head back- perhaps it is time to try the breakfast!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

A marginal experience for us. A couple of drinks on the lower patio. No server available, but the bartender stops by occasionally. We had a 'happy hour' margarita and a vodka tonic. Both marginal at best, and the 'happy hour' tab was $15.50. We had planned to stay for dinner, but after shelling out $18 (when I added a tip), I just couldn't see it.

6  Thank tindalsj