“Great food, great prices”
Review of Cafe Castro

Cafe Castro
Ranked #42 of 635 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 14, 2019

The Stuffed Sopapilla was VERY tasty, and I was amazed at the reasonable prices on the menu. We were there on a Friday evening, and there was a gentleman playing live music throughout dinner. The "wine margarita" they served was a delightful variation on tradition. The servers seemed very interested that we were enjoying our meal - (not intrusive, just attentive.) This isn't fine dining with high prices and fancy surroundings. It's just a nice place for a good, authentic Mexican meal that can be enjoyed without breaking the bank.

Date of visit: April 2019
5  Thank Susan N

Reviewed April 12, 2019 via mobile

This is a little tricky to find if you aren't from the area have a gps handy and be prepared to miss it and turn around. We were disappointed chips and salsa were a charged menu item and not complimentary as we are accustomed to. I had a crispy chili relleno and pork tamale smothered in green chili with a side of beans. The tamale was large and the crisp the relleno perfect the beans were not notable. I sampled the red and green chili and far preferred the green with nice large pieces of pork. The style of green chili was quite different than I am accustomed to at home quite thin and watery but flavorful. This was true at other restaurants in Santa Fe as well. The closest I found to Colorado green chili was called green chili stew at another restaurant. My spouse had a burrito and loved it. The atmosphere was friendly and family oriented. Be sure and request salsa for your meal it was fresh and flavorful.

4  Thank D K
Reviewed March 29, 2019

We decided to take our visiting family from Wisconsin to this restaurant. The parking lot was full which is a good sign. Finding a parking space we entered the establishment. Lots of people and all tables occupied. We were told to expect about 15 minute wait. Five minutes later we were seated with menus in hand. The male waiter was fantastic even conversing in Spanish to my niece who is learning. What a great meal, served promptly and very delicious. They being from Wisconsin, was not familiar with our local food. They were surprised and left happy. Local or visiting be sure to place this restaurant on your to do list while in Santa Fe!

8  Thank jackc1212
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

We were greeted and seated quickly. Ordered soon after. We were seated in an area that was tucked in the back, which was fine, however once our food came, it's seemed our waiter forgot about us. Finally, one of the buser girls bright us our check, and a few boxes. The waiter never did come back. We paid at the hostess station.

Also, the bathrooms are gross with graffiti everywhere.

Mexican food is everywhere around town, I'll try somewhere else next time.

Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

I live in Texas & have eaten my fair share of flan, but I am ashamed to admit that I had to have TWO servings of Cafe Castro’s flan...it was THAT GOOD!! Atmosphere was comfortable and colorful. Wait staff very friendly. We asked a local couple what they would recommend as we were entering the restaurant and both enthusiastically replied “Everything! It is our favorite restaurant.” Great food, great value!

6  Thank Explorer526524