“You always get a good meal”
Review of Cafe Castro

Cafe Castro
Ranked #95 of 558 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“You always get a good meal”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My housemate loves the stuffed sopapillas, and I enjoy the chili rellenos, but you really can't go wrong with anything. The portions are huge, dine in or carry out are always great. Try a carry-out guacamole appetizer for a sporting event or movie night. Both the red and green chili are flavorful and have a nice bite of heat. Prices are much better here than other comparable places in town, although, sadly there is not a margarita menu here. ( I do think there is beer and wine service, but I am not certain of that.)

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Shannon L

Belfast, Maine
“A great find for authentic Mexican food”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We were starving after being on the road all day and an early dinner at Cafe Castro was just what we needed. Excellent chili rellenos and enchiladas. Delicious sauces - both green and red.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Christine U
Santa Fe
“New Mexican Food”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is the best New Mexican food in Santa Fe. We've lived here for almost 20 years and I think we've tried every New Mexico food restaurant and this is hands down our favorite.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Elaine G
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best in Santa Fe”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This is easily THE BEST Mexican food I've ever had. This is a required stop every time I'm anywhere near Santa Fe, say in Las Cruces or Albuquerque.

This place is worth the 8 hour drive from Phoenix and is quite frankly the reason I took my family on vacation here.

I would go on about the food, but anything I could say wouldn't do it justice.

I would seriously consider moving to Santa Fe just because of this place. I wish they'd open a spot in Phoenix... hint hint. ;)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank urbancynic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Our New Local Favorite”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Don't let the Cerrillos Commercial Corridor turn you away if you are new to the area. You can find many wonderful businesses along this stretch of road and Cafe Castro is definitely one of them. We wanted to try a place we hadn't been to before and we are really quite glad that we chose to go to Cafe Castro. It had been recommended to us before in the past as a good restaurant to go to for New Mexican food and now we regret not having made the trip sooner. Cafe Castro is a homey, comfortable place with friendly service, delicious food and bargain prices. It is now one of our favorite places to eat for breakfast in Santa Fe. We can heartily recommend the huevos rancheros and the vegetable omelet. Coffee is good and hot. We will not doubt go there again - see you there!

• Visited December 2013