“Best in Santa Fe”

Cafe Castro
Ranked #95 of 558 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best in Santa Fe”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This is easily THE BEST Mexican food I've ever had. This is a required stop every time I'm anywhere near Santa Fe, say in Las Cruces or Albuquerque.

This place is worth the 8 hour drive from Phoenix and is quite frankly the reason I took my family on vacation here.

I would go on about the food, but anything I could say wouldn't do it justice.

I would seriously consider moving to Santa Fe just because of this place. I wish they'd open a spot in Phoenix... hint hint. ;)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank urbancynic

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Our New Local Favorite”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Don't let the Cerrillos Commercial Corridor turn you away if you are new to the area. You can find many wonderful businesses along this stretch of road and Cafe Castro is definitely one of them. We wanted to try a place we hadn't been to before and we are really quite glad that we chose to go to Cafe Castro. It had been recommended to us before in the past as a good restaurant to go to for New Mexican food and now we regret not having made the trip sooner. Cafe Castro is a homey, comfortable place with friendly service, delicious food and bargain prices. It is now one of our favorite places to eat for breakfast in Santa Fe. We can heartily recommend the huevos rancheros and the vegetable omelet. Coffee is good and hot. We will not doubt go there again - see you there!

4 Thank DB-Raw
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Nice place”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I went to Cafe Castro with a large group of my friends. The day we went the place was slammed with holiday lunch parties from various work groups in town. It was loud and busy. We ordered and lunch came promptly even though the packed situation. I had the fajitas, they were the special for lunch. The fajitas were $8.00 They came nice and hot with lots of re-fried beans, rice and guacamole. Several of us ordered the fajitas. The thing I thought that lacked was there were not enough tortillas, we had to order more. The fajitas are not served on a skillet, despite that they were pretty good. The service was pretty good despite the crowd. If you go around the holiday season this place can be packed and parking can be a problem. I would go again. I would recommend Cafe Castro.

3 Thank NMHiker1
Kalispell, Montana
“A Little Over Rated But Wonderful staff!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Last night Cafe Castro was very busy. There were several large tables of Christmas parties. That tells me that the food is normally great enough, and reasonable enough in price to decide on Cafe Castro for special occasions. However, since there were so many large parties, our table of two was a little neglected. Not because the server was negligent but because the kitchen was so busy. The dishes we ordered came out nearly cold but, being mexican food aficionados we dug in anyway. Taste wise, what we ordered was pretty much similar to all New Mexican dishes we have had in many other restaurants. If you are looking for anything unique or "signature" from their kitchen, you will not find it here. But on a normal night with fewer loud parties, you will find Cafe Castro to be a nice place to dine with typical New Mexican flavors that will also not break the bank.

2 Thank MaryEllenM27
provincetown
“quick visit to Santa Fe”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went to cafe Castro because we wanted some authentic food for New Mexico. I got the enchiladas cheese, chicken, and beef. It was covered in Green chillies. It was very good, I loved the rice and beans. I would recommend Casto to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
7 Thank wrx2ndregime

Been to Cafe Castro? Share your experiences!