“Delicious, Friendly experience”

Pho Kim
Ranked #248 of 583 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Much more authentic than the pan-Asian at Lan's. The vegetables were fresh, the Pho hearty and delicious, and I was out the door for $12 including tax and tip. I had the "combination" Pho but I wish I had taken the waiter's suggestion and gone with the straight meatball Pho because the meatballs were the best part of the combination :-).

The menu features more than 125 dishes (!!) and I am always skeptical of that approach because there is no way any cook can excel with such a diversity of dishes. The decor here is average. The waiter was friendly though somewhat inattentive. Still, the actual dish I had was above average and it was good enough so that the next time I shop at the Co-Op I will likely drop in again.

4  Thank NorthernNMCritic

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have been dining at Pho Kim for over a year we loved the place. We ate there 2x a week in the winter months. Very friendly staff. We recently went and I tried something new. My dish smelled so bad the I lifted it to smell it. The chic ken smelled so bad and had a mucus string attached to it, and was a t tracting flies. My husbad had the Pho soup. Which has always been hot. It was luke warm. He sent it back and the waiter smugly came back said chef said they boil it. Yes but was it boiled 2 hours before? The waiter didn't bother to have a new batch made for him. I was so appauled by his attitude I didn't mention my food. The lids on the items on our table was filthy and there was a hair in the chili sauce. The lady waitress is no longer working there so the cleanliness had gone down big time. How hard it to clean the lids of the items with a bleached rag nightly. Replace chili sauce daily. Don't leave it on table for hair or what ever can be left seems unclean. We paid for food that we didn't eat. Very disappointed and we will not return.

3  Thank kryandrob
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After looking at all the mixed reviews, I wasn't sure, but because my wife had gone to the beading shop next door, and I saw that they had a patio with outside seating in front, and a place to sit with our dog, I decided I'd give it a shot. It paid off. We started with the Vietnamese omelettes (ban xao?) which were delicious, full of sprouts and chicken and shrimp. We shared a pho ga (chicken soup) which was also very good, the broth was very aromatic and full of flavor, I would have liked some sprouts and jalapeño peppers on the side to add, but none were provided, and the waiter, though efficient, was a man of few words, and did not return to see if everything was OK. Don't expect the world here, this is not a fine dining experience, but all in all, a good choice for a nice, reasonably priced, Vietnamese meal in Santa Fe.

6  Thank jollyguy
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I always enjoy a meal at/from Pho Kim. The only drawback is no brown-rice option and they don't offer low-sodium soy or tamari. That said, my diet's fairly restrictive, and I can always order out. I recommend Pho Kim to anyone who likes good, authentic Vietnamese food.

7  Thank Guin W
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I understand that some reviewers have had a lackluster experience here but I MUST say that this place is known for it's Pho. I have not had anything here besides the Pho and I probably never will-it is that good. The shrimp Pho is by far my favorite, the broth (and rice noodles) are alive with traditional Vietnamese flavors (star anise, mellow ginger, coriander, black cardamom, cinnamon, fennel, clove, onion and of course the melding of these with your meat of choice). It is served with a side of lime, cilantro and bean sprouts.

You should note that Pho is a very popular street food in Vietnam, so do not come here expecting the best meal you have ever had in a restaurant-but it is the best Pho I have ever tasted. They have a quaint outdoor seating area (perfect for enjoying warm breezy Santa Fe days) and the staff is very friendly. Also, like most great restaurants in Santa Fe, this place is located in a strip mall-I know this is an odd concept, especially for us native Easterners, but trust me; Portland has its food trucks, Santa Fe has it's strip mall restaurants. They do not serve beer and wine but they do have a great Green Tea "shake" on the menu that is refreshing and palate cleansing allowing you to enjoy the full effect of the Pho flavors. Only one shake is needed for two people if you are eating a meal.

Every time we are in Santa Fe, it is Pho Kim for dinner. I hope you enjoy this native Vietnamese treat as much as we do!

7  Thank CasaInnkeeper