“Ramen Zen”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: CLOSED
Reviewed May 10, 2012

OK, first credentials, such as they are: I lived in and around NYC for 30 years and ate at some of the best Japanese Restos Manhattan has to offer (don't read expensive necessarily); also traveled to Tokyo extensively with similar experience. While Shibumi may not be 100% classical, the food is of top quality and taste, from the carrot/burdock root salad to the pork gyoza to the grilled eggplant. Having read so many reviews about the "bland" ramen, I have to say I totally disagree. Each ingredient in the pork ramen was well prepared and thought out to provide a rich and complex flavor. I can only surmise that either the quality is inconsistent (as I have only eaten there once), which I doubt given how good it was, or that other reviewers are not in the zen of the dish. It is subtle and requires well rewarded concentration to appreciate all of the effort and skill that has gone into the preparation. Contrary to other reviewers I thought the price was fair given the quality of the meal. I will be back!

Reviewed May 4, 2012

i loved this restaurant when it first opened. the flavors were divine. this last visit the soup was tasteless but i didnt have hear to tell the staff. i should have. also to add to the other reviewers review re management, at least they got a heads up-i got stalked after paying the bill re the no frag policy. seemed like taking money was more important then the perfume? however, i do feel sorry for owner, he may have gag reflux or an allergy. just wish he'd level why or is it finer chef thing that smells of gourmet food shouldnt mix with natural flowers of france? not sure but he better not open a restaurant in provence !

1  Thank valentinagiovanni
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My Partner and I tried to enjoy a dinner here but we were kicked out before even being greeted. The RUDE host simply walked away as we entered the door to chat with a man behind the counter(all while STARING at us) then returned to unapologetically say there was a no-fragrance policy, which I would have happily complied with had it been POSTED and clearly marked on the door or mentioned when we CALLED the restaurant prior to making our dinner arrangements. Our experience was poor to say the least, and the manner was handled with absolutely NO CLASS.

1  Thank FLaura_12
Reviewed February 18, 2012

From the cold saki to the wonderful fish dishes, salads, spices and service, this was a novel experience in Asian Fusion dining. The restaurant was full on a cool winter night, but the service was gracious.
Every dish was not your "standard." I found it luscious. (I am a NY resident and love Japaneese food.)
Just don't go there with after shave or perfume on. It is a "no scent restaurant."

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Freshly made ramen, tasty and authentic (despite the striking absence of anyone Japanese behind the counter or in the room). Small but cozy room. Good place for a quick, not cheap, taste of Japan.

1  Thank Lutetian