“TASTELESS (and I don't mean the food)”
Review of Shibumi Ramenya - CLOSED

Shibumi Ramenya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: CLOSED
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My Partner and I tried to enjoy a dinner here but we were kicked out before even being greeted. The RUDE host simply walked away as we entered the door to chat with a man behind the counter(all while STARING at us) then returned to unapologetically say there was a no-fragrance policy, which I would have happily complied with had it been POSTED and clearly marked on the door or mentioned when we CALLED the restaurant prior to making our dinner arrangements. Our experience was poor to say the least, and the manner was handled with absolutely NO CLASS.

1  Thank FLaura_12

Reviewed February 18, 2012

From the cold saki to the wonderful fish dishes, salads, spices and service, this was a novel experience in Asian Fusion dining. The restaurant was full on a cool winter night, but the service was gracious.
Every dish was not your "standard." I found it luscious. (I am a NY resident and love Japaneese food.)
Just don't go there with after shave or perfume on. It is a "no scent restaurant."

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Freshly made ramen, tasty and authentic (despite the striking absence of anyone Japanese behind the counter or in the room). Small but cozy room. Good place for a quick, not cheap, taste of Japan.

1  Thank Lutetian
Reviewed June 17, 2011

From the moment I walked in the door, I was impressed. This restaurant is tiny but not an inch of space is wasted. The decor and ambiance is perfect and attention is given to detail without it ever seeming fussy or over the top. Quite the opposite, because it really captures the simplicity of Japanese decor.

The food is indescribable. I wanted to have a bite of every item on the menu, particularly the izakaya (Asian tapas). The restaurant features a yakitori grill, and one night I had grilled chicken gizzards, another night grilled chicken liver. Amazing. Don't worry, if you don't like organ meat, there is plenty of "normal" options. I also had a chicke croquette and a salmon croquette. Both delicious, although the salmon was a bit too big to be managed with chopsticks. As for the ramen... Ahhh... Most Americans think of ramen as the cheap salty crap in plastic packages on the bottom shelf of the grocery store. This ramen was complicated, subtle, and rich. I had pork one night, shrimp the other. Both nights I picked up the bowl and drank the remnants of broth, because I couldn't bear to waste it.

The staff is friendly and helpful, and they know the menu well so they can make good recommendations. Both nights, the chef sent me a complimentary dessert, which was a small portion of custard with berries, just enough to satisfy the craving for sweets without crowding all the deliousness already in my belly. Some of the berries were grown in the kitchen garden of the next door restaurant, Trattoria Nostrani, which is owned by the same wonderful owner.

The restaurant has quite a number of sake options, but I don't care for sake so I can't say much about it. The other patrons around me seemed to be very happy with the sake selections though. I had w wonderful Japanese beer I'd never experienced before, called Hitachino white rice ale. The perfect compliment to the meal.

All in all, this was one of the best meals of my life. My only regret is that I was traveling on my own and I had no one special to share it with (or an excuse to order more izakaya). If you like unusual or Asian or both, you must eat here! Take cash, though, because they don't accept credit cards. A small hurdle to clear for such a wonderful experience as far as I'm concerned.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

Neat, well-designed, cozy (about 20 seats), Japanese-style restaurant. Started with spicy pork pot stickers which were delicious. Then appetizers of cod croquettes and salmon. Both dished well-presented and tasted great. Then a soup of noodles with slow cooked pork ( requiring some 60 hours from start to finish). Also a worthy dish. Finished with a dessert of mixed fresh berries and a housemade creamy sauce, over a small layer of sweet bean paste. My wife had a cold,draft Japanese while I had 2 sakes, including a wonderful unfiltered one.