“Good Food, Too Expensive”

Plaza Cafe Southside
Reserve with OpenTable
Plaza Cafe Southside is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 558 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: From the moment you enter our doors, you'll be getting high quality service the old-fashioned way. At Plaza Cafe Southside our bright and enthusiastic waiters love to see you happy, so we do whatever it takes to make sure you enjoy your visit. In addition to our delicious food, Plaza Cafe Southside is known for our friendliness and efficiency. We guarantee that we'll get your order to you both fast and hot! Plaza Cafe is a family owned and operated business. The Razatos family has kept the traditional cooking methods and flavor combinations of New Mexico and added some recipes from Greece, all the while keeping with the classic American diner experience. Come in and try our delicious food, and see why so many people in Santa Fe call Plaza Cafe Southside their favorite restaurant! We look forward to serving you and your family.
Dallas
“Good Food, Too Expensive”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We ate here at the suggestion of another traveller at our hotel. The food was very good, a New Mexican style of American food. The service was good too. However, I did not like the atmosphere, it was too bright and had a 50's vibe. It didn't seem to go well with the food and the prices. For example, Coffee was about $2.25 and sodas were something like $2.55. There were five of us and our bill came to $123.00. In my hometown I can get food just as good with a better atmosphere for half the price. An 18% gratuity was added automatically. Our ticket said that there were six of us, even though we were only five. I don't know if our waitress did this as a mistake, or as a means to kick in the automatic gratuity. In any case, I paid it because she was nice, but vowed not to return. There are plenty of places in Santa Fe with better food at more reasonable prices. I can't recommend the Plaza Cafe Southside. Next time I will go back to the Blue Corn Cafe. I always have a good experience there.

1 Thank Luggnutt

West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“Delicious food!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I'm visiting my family in Santa Fe and they took me here the first day for breakfast. Their Huevos Rancheros with green chili sauce is what I'd recommend- VERY flavorful! The atmosphere is fun, and the waiter was friendly. I would definitely go back!

6 Thank Hannah H
San Diego, California
“Tom O”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

When the Plaza Cafe on the Plaza in Santa Fe closed for a period of time due to a fire in the restaurant we started attending other places. Recently while shopping on the south side of Santa Fe, we decided to stop and have lunch at the Plaza Cafe South Side. The restaurant is across from the Regal movie theaters parking lot in a small food court. We noted that there is outside seating but we were there in the middle of winter and the outside seating was unavailable.
As we entered the restaurant, we were met by a charming hostess standing alongside the dessert case holding some very good looking and good sounding desserts. We were seated immediately and quickly met by our waiter who took our drink orders. We both elected to have sandwiches for lunch. Mine was a hot sandwich with a selected side of french fries and my wife had a cold egg salad sandwich with a selected side of coleslaw.
Our sandwiches were quickly served and we both agreed they were tasty and plentiful.
The waiter continued checking on us to see if we needed anything and followed up with refills of our soft drinks as necessary.
Overall, we enjoyed the service and meal. I do believe because of an extremely high ceiling and a seating capacity of about 300 people, should it be busy, without a doubt it would be noisy. Since there weren't a lot of guests, the wait staff could also be observed playing around by the open kitchen but that didn't effect our service. My only other complaint is the meat in my sandwich was placed in the middle of my sandwich leaving a lot of bread space to the outside. I suspect this is done for presentation as when the sandwich is cut in half, you see a lot of the filling stacked high.
We decided to return later to purchase a dessert. We did, and my wife said, the Apple Chile Pie was very good and she would do it again.

6 Thank Tom O
Salt Lake City
“Yummy dinner in Santa Fe”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

It had been a long drive and I had to leave early in the morning. I wanted good food, but a casual atmosphere. Fortunately, the clerk at the Silver Saddle (great motel about which I wrote a review) suggested the Plaza Cafe Southside. It was close and fit the bill perfectly. The service was excellent. When I saw the size of the menu I was a bit apprehensive, as often places with a big menu don't seem to make anything very tasty, but I needn't have worried. I had the BEST turkey burger I've ever eaten---meaty and juicy, with bacon and caramelized onions that really made it pop. The house-made French fries were excellent---everything was fresh and yummy. I'd go back often if I lived in Santa Fe, as there were many other items on the menu that were enticing.

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank utahtexan
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Very Good”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I went to the Plaza Cafe South side to meet and have coffee and breakfast with friends. The cafe has a mixed retro and modern feel. They have old pictures of Santa Fe and also modern art on the walls. The place was not full and we had our choice of seating. I had a blue corn pinon pancake, it came w/orange butter and cinnamon syrup. I ordered coffee too. The pancake was delicious and I really liked the coffee. The Plaza South side makes it strong, which really I like. Everyone else ordered and ate their meals and seemed to enjoy what they ordered. We all enjoyed hanging out here. The prices here will not break the bank either. My pancake was $7.95 and the coffee is $2.35 for as much as you want. The service was very good. I have had other meals here that I have really enjoyed. I recommend The Plaza Cafe South side.

7 Thank NMHiker1