“Wonderful place for my mom to stay while visiting me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxx Hotel

You added Luxx Hotel to your Saves list
Luxx Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   105 E Marcy Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #20 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Wonderful place for my mom to stay while visiting me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Everyone was so friendly and helpful at the Luxx, and it was the most convenient location we could have asked for, walking distance for my mom to shops, easy access to fresh sandwiches and gelato at the shop up front (Ecco Gelato), and across the street from the public library.
An outdoor hot tub was enjoyable, and the decor is par excellence!

My mom was perfectly comfortable in the well-equipped room and enjoyed her week in Santa Fe all the more thanks to hosts at the Luxx. Thanks for making such a cool place downtown!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I am not big on reviewing hotels or other services unless it is a tremendous disappointment or fantastic. In the case of Luxx, I felt like I would be doing a disservice to many hapless travelers who make the mistake of going off the star rating.This hotel is a 2.5 star facility which masks itself as a 3.5 star based on the fixtures in the rooms.At best, the primary advantage of this place is it's central location to the Santa Fe plaza.
Like many, I was given this hotel under the unpublished rate through Expedia. It was only after I arrived at the hotel that the concierge decided to charge me an additional $28 per day for a RESORT FEE! Mind you, this hotel is FAR from a resort, with nary an extraordinary amenity to speak of.Parking, hot tub and Netflix do not justify a resort fee. The total price I paid was more than what I would have paid at an actual 4 star hotel in Santa Fe. So much for a deal under the unpublished rates. EXPEDIA PLEASE READ!
Furthermore, the light in these rooms is next to none and the room lacks basic amenities. We were in Santa Fe for a wedding, and there was no hair dryer for my wife to use. Upon asking the front desk, we were told there is one hair dryer for the hotel to share and they were unable to find the room it was in. Absolutely pathetic and unacceptable.
Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this one. Until Expedia fixes this mess and compensates me for the Resort fee I was scammed out of, I plan to switch to another service.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Gaurav S
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was just in Sante Fe for a wedding and we stayed at the luxx hotel. After reading the reviews I was a little worried about this hotel. We booked it on hotwire so we did our research after booking.

Upon arrival it was pretty much what I expected..funky. With that being said it was in a great location, we were able to park our car in the parking lot and travel everywhere on foot. people complained about the parking lot but I found it was just fine and off the main road which made it feel more secure. The room was clean but a little dark, we didn't mind it made it feel cooler then outside which is nice to come home to. As for amenities don't expect much the place is odd in the way it is set up. The community kitchen is not one you would want to cook a meal in but its nice to be able to grab a fork or a wine opener if you need it. The place was staffed at most times but it definitely has more of a fancy hostel feel to it. We didn't mind because we are not the type of people who like to be bothered on trips. We seek out help when we need it.

Overall if you get a good deal on this place and you don't plan on staying in your room much it is just fine. Its location is great and the beds were comfortable.

Food advice: Coyotes for lunch in the bar-so good! I had a latte at the coffee shop in front of hotel was good and convenient.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank agirlandaguy
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you have stayed at places in the U.S. or abroad that were referred to as “resorts,” then do not expect The Luxx Hotel to be a resort. For me, the place had the vibe of a former speak-easy or brothel that had been converted into an out-of-the-way, artsy hostel by someone with artistic flair but with limited management skills and craftsmanship. There is no restaurant, pool, spa, etc. There is one hot tub that will hold two people comfortably, and it sits along a concrete sidewalk that guests use to enter the hotel from the parking lot in the back. Things like inconsistent water pressure, dusty air vents and an electric outlet hanging from the wall were clues about management and craftsmanship. There was a cleaning crew there every morning, however, and they appeared to be friendly and eager to be of help.

Our suite consisted of two modest-sized bedrooms, with a small hallway and bathroom dividing them. The interior was dark, in spite of having a window in one of the bedrooms. Sound-proofing between the bedroom next to the hall was poor. Same applied to walls between the rooms. We could clearly hear someone snoring next door. In the room by the hall an annoying buzzing sound could be heard every few minutes. I thought that maybe it was an air conditioning unit on the roof. The advertised (by Hotwire) “kitchenette” was also in this room and consisted of a mini-fridge with a microwave/toaster sitting on top of it. The trundle bed in this room was so rickety that none in my party felt safe sleeping on it. I decided it would be safer if I slept on the floor in that room.

Alex was a pleasant, 20-something manager, who clearly tried to be understanding about the fact that the room was not equipped to sleep the three people in our party and didn’t have the kind of kitchenette that we expected. He could not offer us another suitable room but offered us some complimentary drinks and a free stay another time. Unfortunately, we could not accept the latter, given that we had no idea when we would be back in Santa Fe. I was bit surprised that no one ever dropped by to examine the bed during our 3 days in Santa Fe (it looked like maybe it would have been a simple fix). I was also surprised that the Luxx decided to charge their daily $25 “resort fee” against my credit card, given the offer to provide us with the free stay.

The property has a small, communal kitchen, which was functional and reasonably clean. It just wasn’t what we were expecting to be our “kitchenette.” We used the ice dispenser in the fridge as our “ice machine.” Don’t know if there was a dedicated ice machine elsewhere on the property.

There is a small parking lot in the back of the property. Parking is not free as I see it, if you are charged the “resort fee” that Hotwire says the Luxx may charge customers directly. I can’t think of anything special that the Luxx offered us that would have justified the additional charge, except for perhaps parking, so why not call it a parking charge? Given that many people will likely not consider this to be a “resort,” the charge might be easier to swallow with the name change.

The property is within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants in the Plaza area of town.

In spite of its limitations, the Luxx had a sort of shabby chic charm. It was small and unique. I would stay there again if I were offered a room at a significant discount off of the full "rack" price. It was not filthy. It was quiet and felt off the beaten path in a good way. But it is probably not the sort of place for travelers who want the usual comforts of a resort hotel, or even for those who are willing to spend around $150 or more per night. There are other places in Santa Fe that will probably better meet their expectations for the same price. I would recommend visiting the Luxx first, asking to see a room, and then ask Alex what their best price would be. If you are in your 20s to 30s and have a steady job, this place might actually feel comfortable and worth it to you. Or, if you are older (as I am) and adventurous and open to new things, the same may also apply to you.

I complained to Hotwire about our experience with the Luxx, and we reached an agreeable settlement. Perhaps this is why the Luxx decided it wanted to tag me with the resort fee. I think the property is too different from the average person’s expectations to be advertised as it is on Hotwire. Buyers beware.

• 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank westernfb
thomasville, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We (two young adults and three adults) were delighted to arrive at the Luxx and discover a helpful staff, lovely, well-appointed rooms, and a convenient location. We shared adjoining rooms, which provided an abundance of space for the five of us. There is a well-stocked kitchen for guests, adding a practical and social dimension to the hotel. The nearby coffee shop serves a nice latte. The historic plaza is only a short and pleasant walk away. We would recommend the Luxx, and we hope to return someday.

Southlake, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Awesome! Very funky and unique. We had a wonderful time and everyone was very nice and helpful. The only disappointment was the dry muffins at the coffee shop, but the coffee was great. Will definitely stay at Luxx again and again!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I typically don't stay in small hotels but am glad I stayed at the Luxx. A beautiful and quiet room a block from the plaza. I had very good service too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business