“Know Before You Go”
Review of Luxx Hotel

Luxx Hotel
Ranked #18 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2011

It's important to understand what this hotel is as their website and description over the phone isn't quite what you'll get. A few definitions:

Kitchenette means microwave and mini-fridge. This was offset by the fact that the main kitchen is fully appointed - we grabbed some utensils and plates to bring to the room.

Hot tub means small hot tub at the back of the building. No room comes with a hot tub.

Room photos on show the bed area of the room, the rest are common areas in the hotel.

Parking space means the parking lot at the back of the building - a bit of a free for all. No parking pass required, we assumed the other cars back there were guests. A good part of the lot was blocked off when we were there, after returning from dinner we (and obviously subsequent guests) had to be creative with parking spaces.

Our room was groovy and had an exterior entrance - good for the dog. The ceiling fan looked to be in danger of falling out of the ceiling. Room was reasonably clean but under bed and top of cabinets dirty - not standards you would see in a three star or higher hotel. Great location - close to the plaza and close to a park for walking. Staff is helpful but vibe is VERY much self service.

Last but not least is value - room rate was quite good but once all the fees are added in (the resort fee is a joke!) you will pay as much as some very nice places near the plaza with upscale hotel service. Conclusion: wouldn't even be writing this review if price had been significantly less than competition around town and if what was represented was what we got. With the option to pay the same and get true resort style amenities hard to advocate for a stay here.

6  Thank RollinCOTraveler
There are newer reviews for Luxx Hotel

Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and I booked one night online through Orbitz and ended up staying four nights. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms and the common area/lobby are hip and funky with lots of local art. Our room was spacious and quiet and the hotel is convenient to everything near the plaza. Gordan, the owner, went out of his way to get the last room (ours) hooked up with Google TV and we had access to free netflix and other apps. This place has a full and well stocked kitchen for guest use, filtered water and a fridge and microwave in each room. We slept great and enjoyed our stay! We recommend this place to other independent travelers who are not attracted to large hotel chains.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I DO NOT recommend this hotel. I read very mixed reviews about it prior to booking, but felt that the ideal location and uniqueness outweighed the potential cons. I was wrong.
The room that I stayed in had dirty sheets. I am not very squeamish, but it is not acceptable to have sheets covered in other human hair on a bed when you check in. And there were other guests there at the same time (and in previous reviews) who also had dirty sheets. My room was then not cleaned for the duration of my 4 night stay.
To make matters worse, the hotel has extensive "taxes" and "resort fees" which are not included in online quotations. I ended up paying $150 more than I expected to pay. This included having to pay for a parking space even though I did not have a car.
While the rooms are well-furnished and the place is in a great location, IT IS NOT WORTH IT. You will end up paying much more than you expect and the service is horrible!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Unhappy439
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Looking for a interesting place to stay in the heart of Santa Fe that doesn't break the bank? This is it. Stylish decor, helpful staff, great location and price. What more could you want? The only reason it didn't get all 5 points was that my room was a little short on free wall outlets. This was a business trip and computer use was a must. But I'll certainly stay there again the next time I'm visiting Santa Fe.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Staying at this location is really conveniently close to some of the best restaurants. Quiet, comfortable "Inn" atmosphere. This is more along the lines of a boutique hotel with a small number of rooms. Don't miss the entrance btw the sushi restaurant and gelato/coffee shop as parking is behind. Center lounge with fountain and mood lighting. Not a hotel for kids..Couples of any age will find the local conveniences. There was a common kitchen was a plus given that staff graciously shared some extra pancakes one morning. Definitely would stay there a second time, and we didn't move our car three days there. We spent from early morning to late evening exploring, but easy to stop back to freshen up throught the day.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

My husband & I have booked a week at the Luxx Plaza Hotel and are thoroughly satisfied with this beautiful designer hotel. From the moment of our arrival, we were greeted and treated with professionalism and utmost courtesy. The beauty of this hotel is beyond comparison, with thoughtfully decorated rooms (we are superbly comfortable in our little suite, complete with all new, high-end amenities, such as wide-screen cable/Google TV, WiFi, perfect medium sized fridge and microwave with attached broiler oven). When the overhead fan in our room was malfunctioning, the Luxx took care of it immediately and with great courtesy. There are so many wonderful features to this hotel, such as gorgeous art, a fabulous modern, yet classic and timeless charm, and beautiful, spacious lay-out to the hotel. It is exceptionally clean and comfortable and all of the staff members that we run into always take the time to say hello and ask us how we're doing. I am almost five months pregnant, and comfort is my utmost priority, and the Luxx has provided this like any 5-star hotel, though with much more intimacy and charm. If you're looking for a fairly-priced getaway for a high-end stay, then make sure you stay and tell your friends about the Luxx Plaza Hotel. We are so grateful for these charming amenities in such an incredible downtown location, with excellent rates. Thank you Alex and Edward for making our stay with you feel so much like home to us.

Room Tip: We were given a tour of the hotel, and were blown away by the uniqueness and majesty of every room h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Please don't stay here. The place is not clean, and their billing practices are disorganized at best and criminal at worst.

My wife and I made a reservation at Hotels.com. Our credit card was immediately charged for the full price of our stay (we discovered later) plus more than $40 a night in tax and "resort fees". The tax I can understand, but the approximately $25 in fees per night is complete BS - there was never any parking available in the lot we paid for, and there were no "amenities" that justified an extra fee.

After our stay, our CC was charged AGAIN for the same amount. When I contacted Gordon, the owner, he acknowledged that this was a duplicate charge, and promised to resolve it. He also promised to send me a copy of the bill enumerating the additional fees. I waited two weeks, but never heard from him again. I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to get the duplicate charge removed.

There was no record of our reservation when we showed up at the hotel, despite the fact that we had made it more then two months before. Once we found the "desk clerk" he managed to find a room for us, but there was a general feeling of disorganization.

I've traveled around the world, and stayed in some questionable places, but by any standards our room was DIRTY. From the bed, I could clearly see several sets of greasy hand prints on the wall, and clearly the room hadn't been vacuumed for some time. The bedding did appear to be clean, otherwise we would have tried to leave or get another room.

Overall, the feel of this place is more "college dorm crash pad" than "boutique hotel". The shared areas are dark and unappealing, and the kitchen was filled with dirty dishes. The location is good, and we thought that the price was right, but this is the worst place I've stayed in Santa Fe after many visits.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here at all. If you do, don't get a room in the back by the rear entrance a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple