“Location and Value a great buy in Santa Fe”

Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Boulder, CO
“Location and Value a great buy in Santa Fe”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Within easy walking distance of the Plaza, this old motel offers a lot for little cost . Rooms are clean though a bit small. A/C units reasonably quiet, parking is squished (but free) and staff is exceptionally nice and accommodating. If you do not require the newest and elegant with beautiful grounds, room service and lots of amenities this is a great value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank MaryRP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fort Mohave, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My husband and I chose Motel 6 because we were looking for a budget conscious motel that accepted a dog. However we did not expect "budget conscious" to mean we would have to do our own plumbing repairs and clean raw sewage from the bathroom floor.

Our Reservations at the Motel 6 at 646 Cerrillos Rd in Santa Fe, New Mexico were for 5 nights starting July 19th, 2010. Our toilet overflowed the third morning of our stay at 7:30 am there was water/sewage over the entire bathroom floor. We called the front desk, about 10 minutes later the girl appeared at our door with a plunger and we were told that we were to take care of it ourselves as she was the only one on duty until 9:30 am. My husband is handicapped and in a wheelchair, so I had to wade into the bathroom thru the sewage to plunge the toilet, I then used every towel, hand towel and wash rag and still could not soak up all of the sewage and water. I called the front desk again and this time she brought a hand full of rags, I advised her that was not going to be enough so she went back and got another armload of towels. I used every rag and towel she gave me and there was still a small amount of water behind the toilet that I could not get up. We called her back and told her that the room still smelled of sewage and that we would like to talk with the manger when he arrived.

At about 9:40 am, a maintenance man came into the room and removed all the soaking wet dripping towels by taking them out across the carpet dripping all over as he went. About 10:00 am the manager called our room, he said he understood we had had a problem and that they had helped us out with it and the problem was now solved. I told him I was very unhappy with how they had "helped" us as I did not expect to have to plunge his toilets and clean his rooms. He proceeded to scream at me over the phone and tell me that if I was not happy I needed to come to the office and we could call corporate. I immediately went to the office only to be screamed at again that "NO MOTEL 6 had anyone on staff at night to take care of these things and that they had done all that they could" I tried to explain that I did not feel that as a paying customer I should be expected to plunge toilets and clean up sewage. He proceeded to yell and scream to the point he scared a guest away from the front door and she scurried back to her room. He continued to yell at me even though I kept asking him why he was doing so that all I wanted was some compensation towards the nights room fees for the horrible experience I had had that morning. He proceeded to yell and tell me not only was he not going to give me anything off the room but that he wanted me to get cash and pay him now and leave the hotel immediately, even though we had two nights left on the hotel bill. I became afraid for my and my husbands safety and was happy to see the police officer when he arrived. The office advised the manager that this was all a civil matter and he could not do anything in this matter however he did accompany me to my room while I packed our stuff to leave. He also went back to the office to make sure the manager credited my card for the two nights we had remaining on our reservation which had already been charged to our credit card. He then advised the manager not to bother us while we packed and he told us not to return to the office for anything. He advised me to dispute the charges with my credit card company, which I have, and to contact Motel 6 corporate although he doubted that would help as he said they had been called out there with problems at that hotel before and that it was independently owned. The 911 call to the police, with the maniac hotel manager/owner screaming in the background at me while the caller was trying to get the police to come out is just frightening. Through the "Freedom of Information Act" I am requesting a copy of this recording, I have already filled out the paperwork I downloaded online.

THIS STAY AT THE MOTEL 6 IN SANTA FE WAS THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple