“Yum”

Tabla de Los Santos
Reserve with OpenTable
Tabla de Los Santos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 574 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Water Street
Description: It is our mission to offer contemporary American cuisine of the highest quality with a focus on seasonal flavors. We strive to acquire organically grown ingredients for our creations, including the freshest fruits and produce from local Santa Fe and New Mexico farms.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Loved La Tabla. We had the tomatillos for starter and they were outstanding - best I have had anywhere. Lamb was excellent as well as Poblano. Staff is excellent and fast, friendly.

1  Thank lizardMarquette_MI
There are newer reviews for Tabla de Los Santos

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I decided to try Tabla after hearing good reviews from other friends and we were not disappointed. We went for our anniversary and had the pleasure of having the nicest waiter - Alejandro who was so professional as well as warm hearted. He took great care of us and even added in a couple of complimentary desserts. We both had the rib eye which was out standing.

We would definitely go back again. The only recommendation I would make to the owners is to add a bit more warmth to the room with the decor.

1  Thank dogma505_11
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Jerry will take care of you and is a special waiter. The restaurant, like the hotel, has a very tranquil ambiance- quiet-you can talk to your table mates. But there is a new chef who has taken the food from mediocre to poor. Very inconsistent. No orange juice one day for breakfast. If out of items, the dish you ordered will appear without them. Ok for breakfast, if you keep it simple or prefer relaxing ambiance over good food. (For example, you can have much better food across the street at Cafe Pasqual, but can't hear yourself think.)

14  Thank planningpro
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel St. Francis and had a couple of dinners there as well as several breakfasts. I agree with the reviewers that breakfast service is more consistent. I had the huevos rancheros and the pastel de los santos de Chimayo and both were very good. I also tried the blue corn atole porridge; it was interesting at first but I eventually tired of it. Service was generally prompt and friendly. Staff were always ready to top off our coffee or water glasses.

Our dinner experience was strange, almost schizophrenic. We arrived fairly late on our first night and after checking in sat down at the restaurant just before 9PM when the closing time (on weekends, at least) was at 930PM. At that point there was only one other table being served and it looked like they were almost done. We apologized to the staff and they were gracious about it and told us not to worry. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the waiter who took care of us but he was extremely friendly and helpful. It was a relaxing dinner and a pleasant way to end the night..

A few days later we decided to have our last dinner at Tabla. We did not make reservations and Tabla was definitely busier so their hesitancy at seating us was very understandable. They were running out of the specials as well as some of the more popular regular items on the dinner menu and they expressed concern that if we ordered any of those it might deprive diners with reservations of those dishes. We were ready to leave when they asked us if we were staying at the hotel and we said were (and a waiter passing at that moment also confirmed us as hotel guests). After a quick discussion we were seated. We made a point of ordering items that the staff did not feel were at risk of running out. The Niman rib eye steak was one of those. I requested it to be cooked "rare" and it came back "medium" but I couldn't be bothered to complain at this point. Most distressing to us was the service; initially a young man approached us and fumbled a little when presenting the menu and another waiter jumped in explaining that the first was a waiter-in-training and that he would be taking over. And that he did. He would remove plates from whoever had finished even though the other diners were not done with their respective dishes. We were finishing our bottle of wine over desert and he left the bill on the table almost right after our desert had been placed on the table. It was a stark and unpleasant contrast with our first dinner and an extremely uncomfortable dining experience to feel this rushed by the waiter. Food was delivered fairly promptly. The wine was brought out on time. Our water glasses were filled. Still we did not enjoy this dinner the way we did the first.

I truly do appreciate that they seated us despite their very vocal concerns about taking care of guests with reservations. Nevertheless I feel that having decided to seat us they should not have made it feel like they had done us such a great favor and like they couldn't wait for us to get out of there; that, at least is how the "hurry up" approach of our waiter made us feel. My fellow diners were satisfied with their dishes but it would have taken an almost out-of-this-world dish to compensate for the poor service. Perhaps he felt imposed upon by having us seated in his area . Maybe he was already really busy with the other tables I can only hope he did not treat the other diners the way he treated us. This was not a relaxing dinner. This was not the way to remember this restaurant. But it is this memory that remains front and center in my mind.

I have to force myself to recall the better aspects of dining at Tabla, The atmosphere and decor is old-world but not oppressively so. The chairs were comfortable. There is an outdoor patio and fountain that look like a great place for dining the rest of the year. The menu emphasizes local ingredients as much as possible. The breakfast service is very good. Our first dinner was very good. Almost all the waiters were very good.

Unfortunately this has all been overshadowed by our last supper at Tabla de los Santos. Go for breakfast, but I truly regret not being able to recommend this restaurant for dinner.

12  Thank ImmerWandern
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here Feb 24. We could tell there were some problems before long. Seemed like about 4 of the 6 occupied tables had issues including incorrectly cooked meat, wrong orders, long waits, etc. As mention by another reviewer, Eric the waiter tried his best but he was in over his head and the other staff basically did nothing to help him out. My wife's trout was good but lukewarm; my expensive pasta dish was desribed as having special slow cooked meat, but there was hardly any meat and very little sauce. There seemed to be nobody managing anything and training had been lacking. The sous chef eventually came out and apologized. Apparently, there have been recent changes in the managers, the executive chef and wait staff. They better get someone in to consult or managers who know what they are doing, quick! The associated hotel, The St. Francis, is really great and they deserve better than this for their resteraunt. BTW, the bar is exceptional; they really know their trade and can make anything creatively and with interesting ingredients.
My guess is that eventually, Tabla will again rise to its apparently very good reputation, so check future current reviews. But for the time being, there are far better choices in Santa Fe.

18  Thank Renoyd