“Unique and Delicious”
Review of Jambo Cafe

Jambo Cafe
Ranked #5 of 574 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: African, Caribbean
Description: African and Caribbean dishes and specialties from award-winning Chef Ahmed Obo. Jambo Cafe specializes in new combinations of traditional dishes with a decidedly spicy flair. Winner of many awards, "Best Soup" for the Souperbowl 4 years running and "Best International Cuisine" in the Santa Fe Reporter for 5 years. We serve vegetarian and seafood options alongside our chicken, beef, lamb, and goat dishes. Locating in College Plaza near corner of St. Michaels Drive and Cerrillos Road. Plenty of parking.
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Amazing food!! Highly recommend for anyone that is going to be in or near Santa Fe. The place smells amazing right when you walk in the door and the food does not disappoint. I had the goat stew, which was the best stew I have ever had by a long shot. My wife had the kabobs which were also really good. The whole experience was great and I would go back again and again to try the whole menu.

2  Thank Tyler S
There are newer reviews for Jambo Cafe

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The chef, who owns this restaurant, offers a unique mix of African and Jamaican dishes. We tried the Moroccan spiced marinated chicken kabobs, the jerk chicken sandwich and the combination plate that included chicken curry (yum), goat stew and coconut lentils with rice and rodi. All fantastic. The cumin fries were highly recommended and worth the calories. Wish we'd had room for dessert; the Jamaican rum pecan pie looked fantastic. We are so glad our friend Mike recommended this place, otherwise we would not have found it because it's a few miles from the center of town on Cerrillos Road.

1  Thank PammeSu
Reviewed June 27, 2014

The reviews have it right. Jambo Cafe is a wonderful stop for a change of pace from the ordinary (and all the New Mexican restaurants in Santa Fe). The chef owner has fused together African and Jamaican into a symphony of flavors.

The cafe is decorated with both images and art from Africa and the islands. Stringed lights and flowers hang from the ceiling. The sounds of the kitchen can be heard over the reggae music playing the in background.

I was dining alone, so I sat back at the bar, well not really a bar, more a serving counter with a couple of chairs along the edge. It seemed to be the center of activity for the wait staff. If I was dining with someone else, I would avoid the bar. If you are alone, at least you do not feel alone with all the activity going on around you.

As expected the menu has items from both the Islands and Africa. Some items that sounded interesting were: The banana wrapped island spiced Mahi Mahi, the Moroccan spiced marinated chicken kebabs, and the Moroccan Lamb Stew. I settled for the Combination Plate that included chicken curry, goat stew, and coconut lentils served with basmati rice and a roti (a crepe).

The chicken curry and the coconut lentils were well prepared and flavored. The goat stew was thick and dark and full of richness. You could tell it had been simmering for hours. There was more meat to the stew than potatoes and carrots. The goat was as it should be, some boneless tender chunks and then some bone in pieces that you just have to use your hands to get to all the tasty goodness. Of course I had to have a Red Stripe (well two) to go with dinner.

The combination plate was priced at $14, a fair price for the amount of food.

The service was as expected for this type of restaurant.

I am ready to go back for lunch, one salad in particular is calling to me: The Jamaican Jerk Organic Chicken Salad with grilled veggies and goat cheese. Yum.

1  Thank ABfromLosAlamos
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have being to this restaurant 4 times.
The first time was really good. Since then the food have being ok.
I like my food served hot. not sitting on the counter getting cold.
Tonight I ordered the Curry chicken to go with a side of roti.
When I got home I was disappointed for $16 plus dollars that all I got was a tiny container of rice with the meal and the roti was rolled up in a ball and all
crumpled.
I dont know if I will go in there again. Fot that price. it wouldnt kill them to add more rice to the meal. I shouldnt have to pay extra for it.
the Curry had no vegetables. and the chicken was cut into hugh chunks.

1  Thank gbaca07
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Wow, Jambo Cafe is to die for! Great ambiance and even better food! It's in a strip mall, so we were a little leary about trying it. Boy, were we surprised. I tried the combo platter. All three dishes (goat stew, chicken curry, and lentil dish were outstanding! My wife had the Kenyan kabobs, which were delicious! Sangria was great. We are going back ASAP!

2  Thank drwendys