“So many excellent tastes”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jambo Cafe

Jambo Cafe
Ranked #7 of 555 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: African and Caribbean dishes and specialties from award-winning Chef Ahmed Obo. Jambo Cafe specializes in new combinations of traditional dishes with a decidedly spicy flair. Winner of many awards, "Best Soup" for the Souperbowl 4 years running and "Best International Cuisine" in the Santa Fe Reporter for 5 years. We serve vegetarian and seafood options alongside our chicken, beef, lamb, and goat dishes. Locating in College Plaza near corner of St. Michaels Drive and Cerrillos Road. Plenty of parking.
Miramar Beach, Florida
“So many excellent tastes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hard to find in a strip shopping center but so worth it. Employees are gracious and professional. A casual place with food from parts of the world overlooked by most. Seasonings were bright, spicy and tasty. Well worth a visit especially when you are tired of the Southwestern cuisine served at so many places. We will go back before we leave.

1 Thank ndestin

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The food was excellent. I had the chicken kabobs with curry coleslaw and the grilled marinated mahi mahi with tamarind coconut sauce, garlic sauteed spinach, and basmati rice. My friend had the cumin french fries and the jerk chicken sandwich. The flavors were perfect. Highly recommend.

2 Thank Trvlrtoo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Fabulous Food, Horrible Waiter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Food could not have been better. Consistently high quality. However, I am getting sick and tired of one particularly snotty waiter every time I go into Jambo (once or twice per week!)
Everytime I encounter this person, I feel like I am somehow bothering him, like he is TOO BUSY, pre-occupied (eating, texting, etc) to help me with my order. And I mean even if it is a to go order and I've called in ahead. Ahmed is great & so are most of the staff. I am sorry that one or two people who don't know what CUSTOMER SERVICE means are making me want to take my money elsewhere. I worked in the service industry for many years. I am cheerful and a good tipper. Get rid of this guy, he'd obviously rather be somewhere else.
Hint: He is NOT one of the black guys.

1 Thank filmartphoto
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Consistently Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Having eaten at this restaurant several times over the course of the past 18 months, I have found the food always fresh, flavorful and cooked perfectly. I love the Jerked Chicken Wings and the Tilapia. The sevice is attentive and friendly.

2 Thank GolfProSFE
Santa Fe, NM
“Delicious African/Caribbean cuisine at great prices in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Up front, Jambo may not be the very best in Santa Fe, but it is pretty darn good, go there. It is certain that they serve food unlike any other in Santa Fe. Loads of original tasty dishes with spicy and fruity combinations. The soups are spectacular, but don't take my word for it, they have won best soup for the past four or five years in Santa Fe in every category. Try the sweet potato-black bean soup; the goat stew; the jerk chicken; ... ; they are all good.

Why don't I rate the food "excellent?" Because though the flavors are consistently wonderful the quality of the fishes and meats are not always the highest. Last time we dined there my Ahi Tuna was not of sushi quality (chewy) and my wife's Goat Stew had much gristle. But the place is always busy (book if you can) and for good reason, you get really good food at great prices; besides its funky and fun. The atmosphere is very casual, definitely a family place - kids love it. Also, the chef and owner Ahmed Obo is a charming guy - how can he be so skinny?