“An African surprise in the Southwest”
Review of Jambo Cafe

Jambo Cafe
Ranked #5 of 583 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: African, Caribbean
Description: African and Caribbean dishes and specialties from award-winning Chef Ahmed Obo. Jambo Cafe specializes in new combinations of traditional dishes with a decidedly spicy flair. Winner of many awards, "Best Soup" for the Souperbowl 4 years running and "Best International Cuisine" in the Santa Fe Reporter for 5 years. We serve vegetarian and seafood options alongside our chicken, beef, lamb, and goat dishes. Locating in College Plaza near corner of St. Michaels Drive and Cerrillos Road. Plenty of parking.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband didn't want to eat Southwest Mexican food, so this African restaurant was recommended to us. It was buzzing on a Saturday night, but we managed to get a table and the service was quick and friendly. I had the combo plate of goat stew, chicken curry and lentils complimented by a cold Santa Fe Nut Brown beer. My husband had the Mahi Mahi with spinach. All of it was delicious! Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ate (8 of us) at Jambo Cafe and everyone had a wonderful meal. 3 of us are vegetarians and there were plenty of options, and 5 are meat eaters and they had wonderful options too. The service was great, and when we complimented our waiter, he got the owner/chef to talk to us. I would recommend reservations, as the place is very small.

2  Thank KBM37
Reviewed October 26, 2012

There is not much I can add to what so many others have said: this restaurant is a must. Among the eight of us were three vegetarians and one who is lactose intolerant. All these requirements were easily met. I had a Moroccan lamb stew that reminded me very much of a similar dish I had in Morocco. Others had beef kebabs, lentil stew, and grain based dishes. Everyone was very pleased with their meals. Our server and the head waiter could not have been more helpful. We had a great diner and a great time.

2  Thank Homebody44
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was a surprise. The food is not typical of Santa Fe, but certainly welcome! My husband ate the goat stew - so rarely served, and so rarely served well. Delicious. I had the crab cakes, which were crispy and flavorsome and seasoned perfectly, even tho I didn't find the typical lump crabmeat in them. This north African/Caribbean restaurant just blows us away ... unpretentious, great food, interested and informal service and a warm welcome by the staff made it a great evening. It *is* a little out of the way for people who like to stay near the Plaza, but worth the trip.

2  Thank deena w
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Jambo Cafe is a North African oasis in an area dominated by chains, Mexican restaurants, and high-end foodie spots. It's un-pretentious, and GOOD. I had the combo plate, consisting of chicken curry, coconut lentils, jasmine rice, and goat (yes, goat) stew. My wife had the lamb stew with couscous. Portions are generous, the food is tasty, and the vibe is laid back. From the crowd, it's apparent that Jambo Cafe has a following. If you're in Santa Fe, go - you won't regret it, and you won't leave hungry. I just regret that we didn't have room for dessert - rum pecan pie, anyone?